At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: New 12' Telemaster Laser Cut Kit build

New 12' Telemaster Laser Cut Kit build

I have been building the new 12' telemaster laser cut kit. Have only seen one other thread on it, so I thought I would start one to see if anyone else out there is building one.

First comment is this is an exceptionally good kit. All of the laser cut parts were done perfectly and fit exactly. I cannot say that about some other laser cut kits I have built (from another manufacturer). The main discrepancies were in some of the balsa stock provided, and some common hardware that was missing. Nothing that was not already somewhere in my shop.

The only design feature I take issue with is the tailwheel mounting. Mounting it directly to the rudder is bad for two reasons: Each landing will transmit a shock directly to the rudder hinges, and landing and taxiing will transmit shocks to the rudder servo. I plan to mount a tailwheel assembly directly to the fuselage, and install a separate servo to drive it.

The only major fabrication problem turned up with the landing gear. The axles provided have a 7/16" thread and nut, and the holes drilled in them for the gear are 9/16" in diameter, which makes for a VERY sloppy fit. I have been thinking about how to fix this. Any suggestions?

The Sullivan tail wheel brackets have been fantastic for me on everything from four pounds up!

TowerHobbies.com | Sullivan Tailwheel Bracket 60 16-35 lbs

TowerHobbies.com | Sullivan Tailwheel Bracket 60-1/4 10-22 lbs

The links are for the two with the highest weight rating.

The spring takes the steering load and there is no need for a steering servo. The landing load is transferred to the tail of the fuselage.

The picture is the Telemaster 40. I have one on a Senior Telemaster and an 87" 50cc Extra.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1391.jpg  
    Last edited by rodsmith123; 08-29-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Rodsmith123 - thanks for the info. The Sullivan tailwheels seem a little small for this plane. I have another brand in mind. But that is not the problem.

The basic problem is that the stabilizer span is 51", which makes it a little to wide for my car. The plane is designed so that the whole tail section - stabilizer, elevator, fin and rudder, including elevator and rudder servos - is removable for transportation. However, using a tailwheel such as you referenced, or any other tailwheel mounted on the fuselage, requires a linkage to the rudder for steering which would have to be unhooked each time you removed the tail section. To avoid that I was thinking of using a separate servo for steering. However, I am now considering trimming the tips off the stabilizer/elevator so it fits and would not have to be removed for transportation. I would then mount a bellcrank on the rudder to connect the tailwheel assembly for steering.

All framed up, now comes the hard work. Ailerons were a little balky to fit properly, had to trim a bit from the lower surface of wing to get proper clearance. All other control surfaces fit perfectly.

Trimming the tips from the stabilizer and elevator gave me just enough room to get into car (Suburban) without removing tail. See picture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails telemaster3.jpg   telemaster4.jpg   telemastercar.jpg  

After completing frameup, I find three pieces I cannot identify as to where they go! Two are of 1/8" ply, one is of 1/64" ply, all are marked WBG. Anyone out there know what they are for?

Nice looking build!! I am jealous! Been looking at this since it was announced. I so happy with the Senior Telemaster,
    I can't bring myself to build this one. I keep telling the guys in the club that I would build it for free if they would buy the kit. They really are an outstanding piece of engineering.

Keep us posted. Really enjoying the updates.