At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: erc ESC is defective

erc ESC is defective

I recently bought erc 85A opto. I connected the battery and the motor but I don't get any audible sounds. Defective?How do I return it/exchange it?

Hi,
    We have a crazy low failure rate on those ESC's so it's likely something else. You have the OPTO version of that ESC, which means that it does not have a 5V BEC to power to the receiver. Are you using a separate receiver battery, or an external BEC unit to power the receiver?

eRC Opto 85

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Hi,
    We have a crazy low failure rate on those ESC's so it's likely something else. You have the OPTO version of that ESC, which means that it does not have a 5V BEC to power to the receiver. Are you using a separate receiver battery, or an external BEC unit to power the receiver?
    As far as I can tell, the setup is correct.

I am using ERC BEC6 powered from the same battery. I replaced Deans connectors with EC5 on the esc.
    BEC power wires are soldered to the EC5. I know for sure I have not mixed up the polarity, so unless
    I overheated the esc during soldering (which would be very unlikely) it should work.
    BEC is working - all servos and receiver are functioning properly. Battery is fully charged.

Oh..and another thing. I had cut the red wire off from the throttle connector on the esc when I first tried it.
    I then found in the eRC BEC manual that this is not required. ESC doesnt have BEC so why would it even have
    the red wire? I reconnected red wire back but that didnt make a difference.

The motor is working properly - I tested it with another esc.

Your thoughts?

eRC Opto 85

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Hi,
    As far as I can tell, the setup is correct.

I am using ERC BEC6 powered from the same battery. I replaced Deans connectors with EC5 on the esc.
    BEC power wires are soldered to the EC5. I know for sure I have not mixed up the polarity, so unless
    I overheated the esc during soldering (which would be very unlikely) it should work.
    BEC is working - all servos and receiver are functioning properly. Battery is fully charged.

Oh..and another thing. I had cut the red wire off from the throttle connector on the esc when I first tried it.
    I then found in the eRC BEC manual that this is not required. ESC doesnt have BEC so why would it even have
    the red wire? I reconnected red wire back but that didnt make a difference.

The motor is working properly - I tested it with another esc.

Your thoughts?

Good deal. That being the case, it is most likely needs a throttle calibration. Here's a video I made showing how to do that. After you do the calibration, try lowing your throttle trim until you hear the arming tones from the motor.

eRC 85A opto

[QUOTE=Jason Cole;31212]Good deal. That being the case, it is most likely needs a throttle calibration. Here's a video I made showing how to do that. After you do the calibration, try lowing your throttle trim until you hear the arming tones from the motor.

I watched this video several times but really struggled to reproduce it.
    I understood from the video that you always get battery tones (3 or 4 beeps depending on the cell count)
    when battery is connected. If ESC recognizes that the Tx in the low throttle position then these
    beeps are followed by the arming tones.

In my case I was not getting beeps at all when the battery is plugged in. Neither was I getting
    any beeps when the battery was plugged in with the stick in the full throtlle position. According
    to the manual, in such case, I am supposed to get "four double beep sequence". If there are no tones
    no calibration can be done.

My radio is Spectrum DX7

The good news I finally got it working. Here is what I did.

1) Plug in battery (4s) with throttle stick low and throttle trim centered. There are no audible tones.
    2) Move the trottle trim down. About half the way down to the min, I heard 4 beeps and arming tone.
    3) Unplugged battery
    4) Throttle stick all the way up, throttle trim unchaged from previous step.
    5) Plug in battery. Four double beep sequence commences. Move throttle stick down. More beeps
    and arming tone.
    6) Unplug battery
    7) Center throttle trim, move throttle stick all the way up
    8) Plug in battery. Four double beep sequence commences.Move throttle stick down. More beeps
    and arming tone
    9) Done.
    When the battery is plugged in, the ESC arms with the throttle stick "low" and throttle trim centered.
    I'm not sure what throttle trim value is "right", but my helis always arm with throttle stick "low" and throttle trim centered
    I find it interesting that this ESC will arm even if throtlle trim is up by as much as 5 clicks from the "center"
    and anywhere (?) below it. I have not tested other ESCs for comparison.

Thank you for your help.

Good deal, glad you got it working and calibrated with your transmitter.