At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Telemaster Deluxe 40 - How to make the wing skin stronger by coating - What to use?

Telemaster Deluxe 40 - How to make the wing skin stronger by coating - What to use?

I have a Telemaster Deluxe 40 almost ready to cover with Ultracote.

The wing is built. Would like to coat the balsa wing skin to strengthen it before covering with Ultracote.

Would appreciate your recommendation.

Can mix carpenters' glue with water.

Have Balsarite, but careful reading of directions makes me think it will not work well with Ultracote.

Would polyurethane work well?

Thank you.

There's really no need or benefit to doing that. The covering is incredible strong material and really adds a great deal of strength to the wing once covered. What are doing with your Telemaster that would require it to be strengthened?

I may just be clumsey, BUT . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    There's really no need or benefit to doing that. The covering is incredible strong material and really adds a great deal of strength to the wing once covered. What are doing with your Telemaster that would require it to be strengthened?
    It is not what I will be doing with the Telemaster, it is because some of the skin on the wing bottom has cracked.

By cracked, I mean that when handling I have almost put my finger through one section in two spots. Put thin CA on the cracks and am filling the depressions with balsa filler.

Top skin is fine.

Bottom front skin has some VERY tender spots.

Polyurethane

Back in the early 1980's I used oil based polyurethane on the frame of my Sig Kadet Mark 11 and the covering still looks great. No wrinkles and no lifting of the Monokote.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Chance Airways View Post
    I have a Telemaster Deluxe 40 almost ready to cover with Ultracote.

The wing is built. Would like to coat the balsa wing skin to strengthen it before covering with Ultracote.

Would appreciate your recommendation.

Can mix carpenters' glue with water.

Have Balsarite, but careful reading of directions makes me think it will not work well with Ultracote.

Would polyurethane work well?

Thank you.