At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: What is meant by 9 -1/2" on propeller blades?

Exclamation What is meant by 9 -1/2" on propeller blades?

Hi guys,

I know this sounds little bit stupid but I really do know nothing about propeller blades especially it comes to dimension all that.

I'm looking for a fairly small propeller blades for my UAVs. I found this which should be useful to my variable pitch design.

Spare 3-Blade Set, 9-1/2" from Hobby Lobby

I'm wondering what is the diameter of the blade root, the size of the holes on the root and the length of the blades as wells. Could you guys anyone willing to help me out here?
    The description only said 9 -1/2" nothing else.

Thanks. :)

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
    The 9-1/2" is the diameter of the blade itself. That is the only spec for those props as they are just spare blades. Here's the real prop set with the hub. Scale 3-Blade 9-1/2 X 10 Variable Pitch Prop from Hobby Lobby

Exclamation What is meant by 9 -1/2" propeller?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Hey Jeff,
    The 9-1/2" is the diameter of the blade itself. That is the only spec for those props as they are just spare blades. Here's the real prop set with the hub. Scale 3-Blade 9-1/2 X 10 Variable Pitch Prop from Hobby Lobby

Hi Jason

Many thanks to your kind reply. Okay. To make things clear, you saying the diameter prop is 9 -1/2" which means the diameter of the blade root is 9-1/2"?
    Well I'm intended to use it if it is the correct diameter so that it could fit into my design. So I assumed I can change my design according to the blade diameter.

I've attached a drawing here to illustrate where is the blade root (just to make things clear). Forgive my poor drawing skills.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blades.jpg  

That means when the blades are attached to the scale propeller hub that is included with the set, the diameter across from tip to tip is 9-1/2". Since this is a three blade prop setup, it's really the diameter of the circle they make while spinning. So pretend you a pen on the tip of one blade and then spin the blades one time so it draws a circle on a piece of paper. The diameter of that circle is 9-1/2". Hope that helps.