At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Samurai Wing Mount - Technical Help.

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

Samurai Wing Mount - Technical Help.

There is an alignment issue with the front grommet with my Samurai. Not knowing what is inside the wing at the mounting point, I am requesting some advise on the best way to resolve the poor alignment.

Some options that come to mind:
    1. Drill out the blind nut in the Fuselage and re-align.
    2. Countersink the grommet and secure with epoxy.

Do you know what is inside the wing around the the mounting points?
    wood, foam?

Please see the attached photo. The bolt was screwed in when the photo was taken.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrontWingGrommet.jpg  

Can you take a better photo? Hard to tell what I'm looking at there. Have you just tried just tightening down the screw? I've built several of these and haven't had an issue. They are not perfectly aligned with the wing, but so long as the bolt is not cross threading, it will go down and work like it's supposed to when you tighten the screw.

More photos comming...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Can you take a better photo? Hard to tell what I'm looking at there. Have you just tried just tightening down the screw? I've built several of these and haven't had an issue. They are not perfectly aligned with the wing, but so long as the bolt is not cross threading, it will go down and work like it's supposed to when you tighten the screw.
    I will post a few more photos, hopefully this evening.
    But, the photo is a close up of the leading edge of the wing where the front screw attaches to the fuselage with the grommet in place.
    The blind nut in the fuselage aligns the screw about 5 degrees rear ward.
    If the aluminum grommet (that you see in the photo) was flush with the wing, the screw would be aligned about 10 degrees forward. Hence the gross (15 degree) misalignment. If I were to tighten the screw down, the trailing portion of the grommet would crush into the wing. One would be better off to not use the grommet and just reinforce the area with epoxy...

Ah, I can see now. That's pretty close to way all of them are. The blind nut is installed pretty much straight down, and with the leading edge curve, the grommet doesn't sit very flush. So long as it is tight enough that the wing doesn't raise, it will be just fine. That part gets covered up with the canopy so it doesn't effect the aesthetics.

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Ah, I can see now. That's pretty close to way all of them are. The blind nut is installed pretty much straight down, and with the leading edge curve, the grommet doesn't sit very flush. So long as it is tight enough that the wing doesn't raise, it will be just fine. That part gets covered up with the canopy so it doesn't effect the aesthetics.
    Thanks for the update. I may fuss with it. If I come up a cleaner connection will update.