At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: What is the proper dihedral angle should be for the Micro Telemaster V2?

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

What is the proper dihedral angle should be for the Micro Telemaster V2?

So far the construction of the kit is going extremely well. The parts fit is excellent and the construction is straight forward and simple.

Can you please tell me what the proper dihedral angle should be for the Micro Telemaster V2?

This information does not appear on the plans or in the instructions.

I believe the angle is built into the parts so when you go to glue it together it will be at the proper angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    I believe the angle is built into the parts so when you go to glue it together it will be at the proper angle.
    For some reason I'm not able to reply to your post on the Customer Service forum. (Oviously I figured this out--please disregard PM)

I know the dihedral is supposed to be built into the root rib of each wing panel. However, the only guide for the angle is tiny bit of the end of the spar that extends above the slot where the root rib connects to the end of the spar. This small amount leaves a lot of room for error.

Indeed, when I clamp my two wing panels together, the dihedral is just a little over 1 degree. This is far too little for this model. I'm assuming that the angle should be more like 4 to 6 degress. Getting that angle will be no problem at by appling a snding block tot he root ribs. I would like to get the angle the original designer intended. However, the specific design goal doesn't appear on the plan or within the instructions.

So the question still remains. What is the designed dihedral angle?

P.S.
    Along with revising the plan to include this measurement so that a builder can check his work, it would have been very helpful to have a gauge to set that angle of the root ribs. I'm thinking that a simple modification of the leading edge shape gauge would could accomplish this. All that need be done is to take the edge opposite of the shape of the exiting gauge and cut it at the correct angle for the ribs.

Thanks Jason

Hey Got the PM first and replied there, but with one half of the wing flat on a table, the other side will be 3" off the table at the highest point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Hey Got the PM first and replied there, but with one half of the wing flat on a table, the other side will be 3" off the table at the highest point.
    Thanks Jason, I appreciate the help. The 3" is happens to be what I expected; it's good to have confirmation before I start gluing things together.

Looking at some other plans that I have, the dihedral angle looks to be between 4 and 6 degrees (where did I leave my protractor). So, given that range, it looks as though the measurement, performed as above, at the tip rib would be between 2.34" and 3.52". Splitting the difference results in 2.93. Erring on the side of caution, rounding up would seem to make sense, so 3" is the final number.

Now reversing the process to check the angle results in 5.14 degrees of dihedral. So now the question is whether 5 degrees sounds reasonable.

Here's the calculator I used for this process: Right Triangle Angle And Side Calculator

Nice. All I know is that I'm happy with the way it flys with the 5.14 degrees.