At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: I need help with my Micro Stik

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

I need help with my Micro Stik

My Micro Stik has been inflicted with many injuries in crashes as my grandsons and I have tried to learn how to fly.

The "Stik" fuselage has broken at the motor mount three times. Each time I reglued it and therefore shortened the nose each time.

Every connection to the "Stik" fuselage has broken and been fixed with epoxy and using thin cloth reinforcement.

The attachments to the rudder and elevator were enlarged as the small attachments to the foam failed. They were too small, and in their installation process the foam was squeezed down to the point that there was no "beam thickness" to take the load of hard (crash) landings.

I've managed to fix everything so far--have you guessed--I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer (retired).

What I haven't been able to fix is loss of power to the point that the plane, hand launced, full throttle, just settles down to the ground within 20 feet. I had this problem for awile, tried different things and decided that I should try new batteries, so I ordered a couple from you. This was a success! I flew twice, once with each battery. For the first time in a long time I was able to fly with great control: straight, left, right, circles, even a few loops! I recharged the batteries and tried to fly the next day--same old problem--not enough power to fly--settles down to the ground under full throttle--same with each of the new batteries.

Do you have any previous history of this on record? Do you have any ideas for a fix?

Replacing the motor would be a challenge due to the epoxy and reinvorcement on the motor's lower edge (which has stopped the "Stik" fuselage from breaking at the motor mount in nose dives. The pinion seems worn, but why would it not work, work and then not work again? How can I check the batteries? The charger/controller has new batteries. How should I check it?

I would use a volt meter and check the voltage on the flight batteries. They should be 4.2V fully charged and around or a little above 3V when fully discharged. Maybe the charger in that transmitter is not properly charging the batteries. That would be the first test. Let us know the results and we'll go from there.

Old guy with plane that doesn't fly

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    I would use a volt meter and check the voltage on the flight batteries. They should be 4.2V fully charged and around or a little above 3V when fully discharged. Maybe the charger in that transmitter is not properly charging the batteries. That would be the first test. Let us know the results and we'll go from there.
    I checked both batteries when fully charged and they were at 4.2 VDC.
    I guess this leaves wires, circuit board, motor and gears.
    Any suggestions for a next step in trouble shooting?
    Anyone already faced and solved this problem?

Is is only the motor that cuts out or do you lose control of the servos as well? If you lose everything, then it could be a range problem with the flight board.

Does it sound like it is spinning at full throttle? If so, due to the many crashes, it is very possible that the gear and/or prop might be slipping on the prop shaft. A small dab of super glue would fix this.

David

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
    Does it sound like it is spinning at full throttle? If so, due to the many crashes, it is very possible that the gear and/or prop might be slipping on the prop shaft. A small dab of super glue would fix this.

David
    Excellent trouble shooting.
    The large gear on the propeller shaft was slipping.
    I couldn't make the propeller slip on its shaft.
    I did a temporary glue job and the plane flew.
    The glue loosened up after awhile, the gear slipped, and of course the plane couldn't fly (making for a nice experiment).
    Thanks.