At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Can you please tell me what I need for a plane I am building?

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

Can you please tell me what I need for a plane I am building?

I am looking to buy electric motors for a plane I am building. I has a 54in wing span and is 44in long with duel propellers. It will weigh about 5 lbs. I have an idea what motor size to buy, but I am confused with all of the accessories. Do I need 1 or 2 ESC modules for dual motors? Would I also need two batteries?
    Also I would like to buy a better LIPO battery but I don't know how to match a battery with the ESC?
    I am looking at the ERCBL40 motors and The ERCE 065sb ESC. What battery and charger should I pair with this?
    Also do I need a programmer module?

Lots of questions, I'll answer them in order. Sounds like this might be your first airplane so I suggest reading up on the manuals as much as you can.

Do I need 1 or 2 ESC modules for dual motors?
    If they are brusheless motors, then you will need 2 ESC's.

Would I also need two batteries?
    It depends on the setup. You can use two batteries or one larger battery to supply power to both motors.

Also I would like to buy a better LIPO battery but I don't know how to match a battery with the ESC?
    The battery cell count will be set from the recommended specs of the motor, so the eRC 40 says to use a 3S lipo. The capacity will be determined by the size of the battery area in the plane and how much weight you need to balance the plane on the CG. After you have the battery determined you can get a charger that will be able to charge it.