At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Where can I buy a hand crimping tool for servo leads?

Where can I buy a hand crimping tool for servo leads?

I clobbered a servo lead and had to replace its connector. It was easy to purchase a Futaba connector set from my LHS, but finding a proper hand crimping tool for the leads was not easy. Waldron crimping tools W-HT-1921-P and W-HT-1919-P were close, but I still had to solder the leads in place. The Philmore WS26 crimping tool for solderless "D" connectors squeezed the connectors OK, but its anvil surface was too wide and not shaped right for servo pins. The Jameco 304928 mini-fit crimp tool for Molex connectors may be OK, but it has not arrived, yet. Does anybody know exactly which crimping tool can be used to replace the pin connectors on servo leads? Thanks in advance.

crimping tool for RC wiring

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason. I figured that you had access to a proper tool for crimping connectors. I returned to where I used to work today, and noted that an AMP 29004-1 tool had crimping dies that would have worked if I still worked there. Best regards.

AH-64 D

Irwin 2078309 multi tool is not good for RC wiring

Hi Jason,

I took a look at the tool that you suggested. It is not suitable for assembling servo pin blocks. Guess HL outsourced manufacture of eRC Quad wiring. Can you ask that supplier what tool they used?

Ah, no idea what they used. I ended up just buying the leads. Male to Male Extensions

Molex 63811-1000 crimper mostly works

Bought a Molex crimp tool from Newark and found that it has a proper size anvil for crimping servo connectors, but the task is not idiot proof. The individual connectors have flanges that must be folded onto the wire and its insulation as shown in the attached images. Molex connectors differ from servo connectors, so the crimping steps have to be done in steps and with the aid of small pliers so that their final crimps capture the wires and surround the insulation without distorting the connector to the point that it will not fit in its terminal block.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03179.jpg   DSC03180.jpg   DSC03181.jpg  

Ive never had good success with crimping tools like this, i've always just used a good set of needle nose pliers and solder.
    Neal Davis / Sales / Technical Support
    phone: (615) 373-1444

Hobby Express
    your R/C Superstore!
    Tennessee USA | (615) 373-1444 | http://www.hobbyexpress.com

getting the tool was for naught, anyway

As luck would have it, when I finally got a tool that would do the job, the repair was to no avail. My eRC Quad build had lagged for several reasons, including getting CYA into one connector. With the connector replaced, I completed the wiring step of the build and found that the motors would not run. Bummer.

I think Neal spoke with you today about the arming and it sounds like you will be good to go with the DX8 radio. Just need to adjust the end points in the radio and you're all set.

motors still not activating

I spoke with Neal yesterday and today. He explained that if the motors are not arming, the system either fails to detect 0% throttle or the right yaw command to arm them. I went into my DX8 and adjusted throttle range from 90 to 120% and yaw from 90 to 120% in increments of 5% to no effect. The various throttle settings were tried first and the yaw settings were then varied. Values at each end of each range were adjusted. As this trouble shooting is no longer on the thread topic, I will make no further posts to this thread regarding my motor arming problem.

Edit: Neal Davis was able to talk me thru servo setup, calibrating the speed controls, arming the motors, checking direction of rotation, and calibrating the gyro in our third phone call. These details were not shown in the build video, but are alluded to in the January and August mult-rotor meeting threads. Many thanks to Neal as an excellent example of the customer support that sets Hobby Lobby apart from other places to shop.
    Last edited by AH-64 D; 08-14-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Neal Davis solved the arming problem