At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: I recently purchased 3 ea ERCBE6 6A 5-6v BECs, I inadvertently discovered, much to

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

I recently purchased 3 ea ERCBE6 6A 5-6v BECs, I inadvertently discovered, much to

I recently purchased 3 ea ERCBE6 6A 5-6v BECs, From ERCBEC6 manual
    "Reverse polarity protection (If connected backwards, the BEC will not work)"
    eRC 6 Amp BEC from Hobby Lobby

I inadvertently discovered, much to my dismay, that the reverse polarity protection on one of the BECs did not work!

and a small IC? on the BEC went up in smoke. Applied voltage was from a three cell LiPo. Naturally, the BEC is non functional.
    (I'm not about to intentionally reverse polarity test the other two!)

Is the manual incorrect?
    "Reverse polarity protection" implies that nothing untoward happens if the BEC is connected with battery reversed polarity.

And naturally, I will need to replace the bad BEC, preferably under warranty.

Even if it was correct, it is never advisable to reverse the polarity. The usually go poof! Kind of funny though, depends on how you read it, if you plug it in backwards, it sure won't work, ever again. Contact the service team at HL.

Reverse Polarity "Protection"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    Even if it was correct, it is never advisable to reverse the polarity. The usually go poof! Kind of funny though, depends on how you read it, if you plug it in backwards, it sure won't work, ever again. Contact the service team at HL.
    I agree with you that plugging the battery in backwards is not really a good thing to do. But, when the 6A BEC manual says that the unit has "reverse polarity protection", that is not correct. The meaning of the phrase is that a device has circuitry that prevents failure, and even possibly correct operation with reversed polarity.

The usual method is to incorporate a diode in the circuit that prevents current flow with reversed polarity, or a diode bridge that makes the device insensitive to polarity. The diode bridge is not really desired in the usual R/C circuit, because it screws up the common return.

I did manage to learn a few things, with forty years in the design, support, and use of electronics warfare systems.