At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to have a charger that I can plug into an AC outlet for LiPo 2S 7.4V 1300mAh

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

I'd like to have a charger that I can plug into an AC outlet for LiPo 2S 7.4V 1300mAh

Hi,

I just received a Firebird Stratus (first RC plane) and I'd like to have a charger that I can plug into an AC outlet.
    I guess you know this, but it's a LiPo 2S 7.4V 1300mAh battery. Obviously, any charger would need to be compatible with the battery's charging connector.
    I've looked at your inventory, but I'm not sure which models will work for me.

Thanks,

This is a great charger here
    But you will need this connector to charger that battery here
    Neal Davis / Sales / Technical Support
    phone: (615) 373-1444

Hobby Express
    your R/C Superstore!
    Tennessee USA | (615) 373-1444 | http://www.hobbyexpress.com

Thanks

Thanks Neal,

I'm having trouble visualizing how those connectors would connect my battery to the charger. I'll take a closer look when I get home. I don't suppose there is a picture anywhere that would answer my concern?

Thanks a bunch.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Davis View Post
    This is a great charger here
    But you will need this connector to charger that battery here

The battery has a blue EC2 connector, and a white connector. The white connector is for balancing purposes. The EC2 is your main charge/discharge plug. The AC/DC charger I recommended has a banana to bare wire . This is so you can add whatever connector you want to the charger. This is a pair of connectors that will match the battery you want to charge. You just add it to the included wire with the charger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1039731_large.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	47070
    Neal Davis / Sales / Technical Support
    phone: (615) 373-1444

Hobby Express
    your R/C Superstore!
    Tennessee USA | (615) 373-1444 | http://www.hobbyexpress.com

Blue EC2 vs. White Connector

Ah. I just looked at my battery and I assumed the white connector was the only connector that could be used for charging since that is what the charger that came with the plane connects to. I understand what you are saying now. I didn't realize the blue EC2 connector was used for charging as well as discharging.

Since this is all new to me, would you mind explaining what 'for balancing purposes' (the function of the white connector) means?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Davis View Post
    The battery has a blue EC2 connector, and a white connector. The white connector is for balancing purposes. The EC2 is your main charge/discharge plug. The AC/DC charger I recommended has a banana to bare wire . This is so you can add whatever connector you want to the charger. This is a pair of connectors that will match the battery you want to charge. You just add it to the included wire with the charger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1039731_large.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	47070

That white connector is called the Balance Connector, it has a formal name like an XH Connector, but most people refer to it as the balance connector or balance lead. That is becuase it taps into each cell in the battery pack and it is what allows balance chargers to equalize the voltage for each cell. Say you had a 3 cell 11.1V battery. If you only charged through the main black and red battery connector the charger can only effect all the cells in the pack together. So if one cell was 3.7V and one was 3.5V and one was 3.5V, there is one cell that is out of balance with the other two. When using the balance charger lead the charger can control each voltage separately make all the cells the same voltage. Hope that helps.

Balance Connector

Hi Jason,

Yes, thanks. That definitely helps. But I guess I'm still a bit confused. Sounds like there are two ways to charge the battery: 1) with balancing, and 2) without balancing. Sounds to me like #1 is the preferred way. (I don't know - just sounds like it would be preferable to have the cells all charged to the same level.) Is it ever preferable to NOT have the cells charged to the same level? Or is the recommended technique to charge the batteries through the NON-balancing connector(s), then balance the cell levels using the balance connector?

So do I need to purchase a balancing connector for the charger I just purchased (?). Sorry to be asking so many ignorant questions!

Best Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    That white connector is called the Balance Connector, it has a formal name like an XH Connector, but most people refer to it as the balance connector or balance lead. That is becuase it taps into each cell in the battery pack and it is what allows balance chargers to equalize the voltage for each cell. Say you had a 3 cell 11.1V battery. If you only charged through the main black and red battery connector the charger can only effect all the cells in the pack together. So if one cell was 3.7V and one was 3.5V and one was 3.5V, there is one cell that is out of balance with the other two. When using the balance charger lead the charger can control each voltage separately make all the cells the same voltage. Hope that helps.

That's correct, there are two way you can charge these batteries. Balance charging takes a little longer, so if you are in a hurry, then charge them without using the balance connector. It takes many cycles on the battery to get out of balance to the point where it might be a problem. So even if you only balance charged them once a month, you would keep the pack in good health. The charger that Neal listed above already has the balance connectors installed into the case, so you should be all set.

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    That's correct, there are two way you can charge these batteries. Balance charging takes a little longer, so if you are in a hurry, then charge them without using the balance connector. It takes many cycles on the battery to get out of balance to the point where it might be a problem. So even if you only balance charged them once a month, you would keep the pack in good health. The charger that Neal listed above already has the balance connectors installed into the case, so you should be all set.

Now that I have my new charger in hand, and have read the manual, I just had some questions before I destroy anything.
    As indicated, I have a LiPo 2S 7.4V 1300mAh battery. Based on my understanding of the manual, I would set the charge amps to 1.3 (battery indicates maximum charge rate of 1C), and the voltage to 4.2V (manual explicitly states that for LiPo batteries if I'm reading it correctly).

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bbarring View Post
    Perfect. Thank you very much.