At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Do I need a larger motor?

Posting Questions from Customers Customer Questions's Avatar

Do I need a larger motor?

This is a request for technical support involving a current model I am flying. I have been flying the electric RCM Funster V2 with an AXi 2826/12 motor, the eRC 65A ESC (ERCEO65SB), a 13x8E prop and a FlightPower 4350 mAh 4s 14.8V Li-Po battery pack. The model flies fine as a typical sport flyer but I find myself running the motor virtually wide open most of the time simply to maintain moderate altitude and perform gentle maneuvers. Even so the battery remains relatively cool with insignificant drain. I would like to be able to have a little more power authority with this model especially in a faster climb. Anything other than a gradual climb in altitude results in a stall.
    Do I need a larger motor? If so, what should I order?

How much does yours weigh? I used to a fly an old Chipmunk with that same motor and it had gobs of power even at 6lbs all up. I was using a 12x6 prop though and I would expect the 13x8 to have even more thrust. You could try our eRC 46 motor here .46 Size Brushless Outrunner, 600Kv from Hobby Lobby that should get you some more oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
    How much does yours weigh? I used to a fly an old Chipmunk with that same motor and it had gobs of power even at 6lbs all up. I was using a 12x6 prop though and I would expect the 13x8 to have even more thrust. You could try our eRC 46 motor here .46 Size Brushless Outrunner, 600Kv from Hobby Lobby that should get you some more oomph.
    With battery approximately 5 lbs. The AXi motor is rated @ 750 kV! I was going to switch to a 12x7 prop to see what difference that would make.

Quote Originally Posted by RCFunster View Post
    With battery approximately 5 lbs. The AXi motor is rated @ 750 kV! I was going to switch to a 12x7 prop to see what difference that would make.
    Disregard all previous posts as it seems my problems were in the controller. This morning while attempting to restore the controller to the default settings and then reprogramming the automatic throttle calibration the controller burned up. I don't know why this happened as I was following the instructions to the letter. I just ordered two more controllers.

OK. Yeah at 5 pounds with that setup, you should have tons of power.

OK. Yeah at 5 pounds with that setup, you should have tons of power.
    The ground wire to the eRC controller had come loose from the circuit board and shorted against the positive input rending the controller useless. I ordered two more, as you may note from my account. Hopefully these controllers will be okay. Right now I'm not a happy camper with the eRC controller and this was a brand new controller that I ordered with the AXi motor and the RCM Funster V2. The first few flights were great then the dumbing down started occurring. We'll see what happens with the installation of the replacement controller.

I've been really happy with the quality of the eRC ESC's. I guess you can get a bad one every now and then like with any piece of electronics. On the whole, we get very few reported problems. They do have a year warranty, so go ahead and put that controller in a box with a note of what happened and your contact information and mail it back to us. Since you already bought news ones, we can refund you for the bad one.

Hobby Lobby
    5614 Franklin Pike Circle
    Brentwood, TN 37027

I've been really happy with the quality of the eRC ESC's. I guess you can get a bad one every now and then like with any piece of electronics. On the whole, we get very few reported problems. They do have a year warranty, so go ahead and put that controller in a box with a note of what happened and your contact information and mail it back to us. Since you already bought news ones, we can refund you for the bad one.

Hobby Lobby
    5614 Franklin Pike Circle
    Brentwood, TN 37027
    Not to worry about the controller. I'm satisfied if the new one works OK - besides I cut the heat shrink off the controller to look at the innards. I actually have two Funsters - one is still in the box. I bought these because I built the original Funster from scatch back in the 80's when it appeared in RCM magazine and flew it for over 15 years. I still have it but it needs a new wing. I got the electric Funsters from a nostalgic point of view and to have something to throw in the van for a quick fly at the field. Now I'm eyeballing that new Euro Fighter y'all just send me an email about.

OK, just let us know if you need anything.