At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Designs for blade guard?

Designs for blade guard?

I have the eRC quadrotor and am curious to know if anyone has devised a light weight blade guard for it? Attached is a picture of a quadrotor blade guard that recently appeared in MAKE magazine in an article about advances in autonomous quadrotor design. The guard in the picture appears to be made of cabon fiber, bamboo, and something near the blades that looks like a snow fence. It appears to be light and strong, which is what I am looking for, but the article lacked details.

AH-64 D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02653.JPG  

Re: Designs for blade guard?

I haven't seen anyone here do one. Let us know if you come up with something.

I haven't seen any blade guards that really were easy to build either but here is what I've done to help protect my blades from ground strikes which is an old helicopter trick used by beginners. It is done with carbon fiber rods and does not effect much in the way of performance, that is as long as your not looking to do loops and rolls. For video taking and just flying around it works pretty well.

Note: This quad is a Jason Cole design and it works really well, the landing gear is from and old ECO 8 heli gear that I had lying around and just thought I need to get the quad off the ground a bit so as to mount the GoPro camera for video...Its fun to fly and am getting used to doing the video part.

Thanks Jason for all your help.

Colorado Kid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quad.bmp  

Yours is a good suggestion, Jasson. Thank you. Your 5-spoked guard is better than the 4-spoked one I used with helis. I did not think that 4 spokes was enough for a quadrotor, so I was continuing to look about for suggestions when I saw the "snow fence" picture in a magazine. I remain intrigued by that snow fence, but your suggestion is simpler and uses materials I already have.

regards, AH-64 D