At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting a G.P. Patriot to electric

Converting a G.P. Patriot to electric

Alright guys, I've got an old Patriot that had an O.S. .46 on it when it nosed in on a landing a few years back. I've decided to pull it from the graveyard and fix her up and convert to electric. What's the best route? I was thinking that I would look at the eRC .46 motor and a comparable ESC, and planned on running 6S. Where could I find info for or what would you recommend battery wise? I would like her to be a burner, so is there some other setup you'd recommend for speed? Also, Would something like the F-18 or Eurofighter electric retracts be strong enough to work for the Patriot? Thanks!

Re: Converting a G.P. Patriot to electric

Anyone?

Hi,
    The erC 46 would be the way to go for sure with the eRC 65A ESC. 4S Lipo on a 12x8 prop is a pretty hot setup. If you need more power, you can got a 5 or 6 cell lipo. The F-18 comes in around 4.5lbs so if you are in that weight range, they will hold up.

Thank for the help Jason! I need to get it back together and figure out what it weighs for the retracts, I guess. I've been flying helis, so I have some 6s 5000mah sitting around. If I have room, would you use those and if not what size battery would you recommend? Just getting everything together so that I can place an order soon. Thanks again!

That battery would work if you have the room and stand the weight.

I can definitely manage to get that size battery in. I may have to have a dedicated battery t5o leave in though, just to make it easier. Could I do like when it was nitro and use a 9x9 or 10 x 9 prop or will an electric motor not turn up rpm's like that?

You sure could. You have way more flexibility with an electric than with a nitro. The prop range can be huge.

Awesome! Thanks for the input, I'm still a newbie as far as electric conversions go. Now, if you just had that ESC in stock!

Jason,
    OK, so I was using MotoCal and trying to work out what I want performance wise without damaging components. Since eRC items are not on MotoCal, I was trying to do some guesstimating. Am I going to be OK running the .46 motor, 65 or bumping to the 115 esc and say a 10x8 or 11x8 prop? In other words, think I'll have overheating or battery damage issues running on 6S? I was looking to push this thing to around 100 mph, but it looks like that may take 8s and some $$$$. I may have to settle for the 80mph range. Any advice on a conversion like this? Thanks!

by the way, here's a shot of it in it's old nitro days.........

The motor is rated for 6S so you'll be fine there. I would go with something like a 10x10 prop if you want speed. You may want to bump the ESC to an 85A to give a little more breathing room for it.