At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Engine question for Senior Telemaster Plus

Engine question for Senior Telemaster Plus

I decided to install the AXI 4130/16 on the Senior Telemaster "Plus". I am new to large electric and did not know how big to go on the batteries. I purchased both a 5Cell and 6Cell/5000mAh/30C battery and did some bench testing with my trusty "Doc Wattson" watt Meter:

5 Cell Data:
    15 X 8 APC prop/ 780.3Watts/ 40.15Amps/ 20.1Volts
    16 X 8 APC prop/ 895.5Watts/ 45.74Amps/ 19.43Volts

6Cell Data:
    15 X 8 APS prop/ 1206.7Watts/ 51.79Amps/ 23.06Volts
    16 X 8 APC prop/ 1401.4Watts/ 60.70Amps/ 22.9Volts

Using the "rule of thumb" of around 75W/lb...895.5Watts (16 X 8 APC prop/5Cell) should be more than adequate for ROG from grass, to climb well, and, to perform mild aerobatics. My question is regarding "run times". Should I expect longer run times with the 5 cell? Both batteries are 5000 mAh and I was thinking that the higher amp draw from the 6 cell would deplete the battery faster. I will only be using max power for T/O and some gentle Acro maneuvers. Some on the forums disagree....but it would seem that the 6 cell is "forcing" the motor to spin faster and draw more amperage from the (constant variable) 5000mAh capacity......confusing! Just asking before I order more Batteries.

Mike

Re: Engine question for Senior Telemaster Plus

Hey Mike,
    That's a hard question to answer with variable throttle levels and other changes. But, basically the more amps you pull, the less run time you'll get. If you ran both batteries at full throttle, the 6 cell will pull more current and run out of juice faster. So here's how the 6 cell can get you more run time. Say to fly and maintain level flight it took 60 watts per pound. So roughly 9 pounds of plane equals 540 watts to do that. I'm going to estimate a running voltage per cell under load at 3.9volts. So that means on the 5 cell pack you'd need to about 28 amps (rounding here) to maintain level flight. On the 6S pack, you would only need 23 amps to do that, so your battery would run longer. It gets way more technical from here with different prop sizes and such, but you get the picture I hope.

Jason Cole

Re: Engine question for Senior Telemaster Plus

Thanks Jason!

I was not thinking about the 6Cell having more energy...so flying the same envelope would give the 6 cell the edge in endurance. I was thinking about the WOT #'s and thats what threw me off.