At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop Box

Drop Box

Got it the other day and now have it ready. I knew some of the parts in the parts bag that came with the plane had something to do with the box. Instead of the small wooden pieces and the rods supplied, I used control horns, clevises, and 2-56 threaded rod. Allows for more adjustment and smoother operation. Also used a standard servo with the plywood attachment. This allows for closing the doors after the drop. The instructions tell you to use a small servo at the bottom mounting location but there is no provision for closing the doors. I like this much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop Box 1.jpg   Drop box 2.jpg   Drop Box 3.jpg  

Re: Drop Box

That's how these were originally setup, but there was too much slop in the rods and under loads, the doors will open enough to let the contents out. The smaller servo holding the doors shut is the best way to keep them shut until you want them open.

Jason

I'm not an experienced flyer but why can't you just use a simple piano hinged gravity door. Close it and hold it in place with a servo controlled pin. Retract the pin, the weight of the door and payload makes it drop open.

Fly the plane upside down and gravity closes the door, reverse the servo to latch the door. I can't fly right side up yet but I imagine upside down flying isn't hard for most of these guys. A simple loop could do the same thing.

Not exactly a prototype bomb bay door but probably pretty easy to put together. Plus it would probably look cool to make a drop and then barrel roll the plane right away.

Tiller

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller58
    I'm not an experienced flyer but why can't you just use a simple piano hinged gravity door. Close it and hold it in place with a servo controlled pin. Retract the pin, the weight of the door and payload makes it drop open.

Fly the plane upside down and gravity closes the door, reverse the servo to latch the door. I can't fly right side up yet but I imagine upside down flying isn't hard for most of these guys. A simple loop could do the same thing.

Not exactly a prototype bomb bay door but probably pretty easy to put together. Plus it would probably look cool to make a drop and then barrel roll the plane right away.

Tiller
    Too easy. Besides, that is what makes this hobby so much fun. I am a tinkerer/frustrated engineer wanna be. I already have the fix and will reveal it when I install it. Don't want to get too "Rube Goldberg" though.

OK here is the fix. I added two small magnets to keep the doors closed. The servo has no problem overcoming the magnets when opening and the doors stay closed under the weight of the contents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop Box 5.JPG   Drop Box 6.JPG  

Good deal! Thanks for posting that mod.

Jason

I am building a Senior Telemaster. Would like to put in a candy drop.bombay ..whatever it is called. I see Bullethole has some info. Would you tell me where you got your drop kit and how it performs for you.

You can purchase the drop box from HL. Here is the info.

Drop Box for Senior Telemaster PlusProduct# HLA00817 Price: $19.99 ea.

CK

Thanks Colorado Kid, I'll be ordering one today. Looks like fun and a real time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethole
    Got it the other day and now have it ready. I knew some of the parts in the parts bag that came with the plane had something to do with the box. Instead of the small wooden pieces and the rods supplied, I used control horns, clevises, and 2-56 threaded rod. Allows for more adjustment and smoother operation. Also used a standard servo with the plywood attachment. This allows for closing the doors after the drop. The instructions tell you to use a small servo at the bottom mounting location but there is no provision for closing the doors. I like this much better.

I really like the design of your servo control arm for the drop box. Did you make that yourself? If so, any chance you have the .pdf or something so that I can duplicate it?

Thanks!