At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Ultra Micro F4U Corsair BNF Reviews

Ultra Micro F4U Corsair BNF Reviews

the rc arpliane of my dreams
    Me and my dad love this we'll come check it out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Young, Ryan

Re: Ultra Micro F4U Corsair BNF Reviews

Sleek, Slick and Fast
    The detail on this airplane is something else. I'd give it 5 stars on looks alone but there's more.

One thing about flying scale models is that you don't have the acrobatic capability of 3D flyers, you fly it to enjoy looking at one of your favorite warbirds flying in the air (and under your control... most of the time!).

If you hand launch this F4U just be ready to get your "spare" hand back on the tx ASAP because it rolls to the left about 5 feet out from your launching hand. Immediate right aileron correction takes care of it though, then you're off into the sky. The roll isn't as noticeable when taking off from the ground using the landing gear. Centrifugal force from the 3 bladed prop spinning to the right causes this phenomenon so just watch out and know it's coming. I now hand launch mine with the nose up slightly and the wings canted to the right a little. If you have someone to launch it for you, you hardly notice it if your thumb is already on the right joystick.

It uses the correct 3 bladed prop that was in use when "Pappy" Boyington flew his F4U Corsair to reach Ace status during WW2 before being shot down and captured by the Japanese. This airplane comes with some decals already correctly placed on it but they also include "Pappy's" decals should you want to make yours look like the famous number 86. Also included on the additional decal sheet are the decals for Ira Kepford's F4U (#26).

I noticed some up and down bobbing of the nose (porpoising) during level flight so I told a guy at my LHS (local hobby shop) about what it was doing and he told me something about the motor versus the battery drain causing this but it sounded a little made up to me. I'm old, not stupid. Before my next flight I weighted the nose by taping a live .17 HMR cartridge (4.7 grams) [OK, maybe a little stupid] to the bottom of the cowling in front of the battery slot and the thing has been flying normally ever since. I'd suggest using a lead weight of about 4 grams if yours starts porpoising and that should get it under control.

I also have a Parkzone micro T-28 Trojan and it seems to do slower flight a bit better than the F4U Corsair. The Corsair feels a little heavier than the Trojan so I tend to fly the Corsair a tad bit faster out of need, not choice. The wing shape could have something to do with it too. The bottom of the T-28's wings are "clean" with the aileron servos being inside the fuselage while the F4U has linear servos mounted on the bottom of each wing to drive the ailerons.

I just weighed each airplane and my scales say the F4U Corsair weighs 1.50 ounces while the T-28 Trojan comes in at 1.35 ounces. Both airplanes were weighed without a battery affixed to them.

I don't know if it's the wind that does this or just a characteristic of the F4U but I've noticed several times while flying towards myself (or away) that the tail seems to slide a bit sometimes. It's nothing serious and it makes it look more realistic anyway.

I like to fly before the sun tops the tree tops in the mornings and also late in the evenings and the realistic paint scheme on the F4U makes it hard to see in low light situations. It's OK as long as the sky is the backdrop but as soon as the airplane gets below the tree line, about all I can see is a strip of the white on the bottom of the cowling and little bit of the sky blue underbelly. It's no problem in "normal" lighting but since I only fly outside, the best time to fly in no wind, or low wind, is during the times I mentioned.

I only have 17 flights on my F4U so far and most of them have been while it was in "dual rate" because the ailerons seem to be real touchy. 'Me thinks' it's the linear aileron servos. I've read they're pretty fast and now that I own several of them... I tend to agree.

Loops are a bit harder to do with the F4U than with the T-28. Could be the dual rate on the F4U that I have turned on or it could be the weight. When I go to full throttle on the T-28 it automatically climbs into a near loop but the F4U just goes faster while raising just a little. I've tried an aileron roll while in dual rate with the F4U but even with altitude it's a no go before it starts looking at the ground. One day when I get to fly in an area where I have more room I'll try an aileron roll off of dual rate. I'm pretty sure it will pull it off quite nicely. Even on DR it will do an Immelmann with little effort.

About crashes... on my third flight I tried turning downwind low and slow to the ground and ended falling to the ground in a cartwheel. When I got to the plane and saw it I got that queasy feeling in my stomach. The left wing was broken in half just out from the fuselage. The only thing that kept the wing from falling all the way off was the thin membrane on top of the wing that gives it that shiny look. The bottom of the wing is just painted foam. Took it inside and gingerly laid a bead of Foam Safe CA glue to one half of the two pieces, lined them up and spritzed some Foam Safe Zip Kicker on it. Then I cut a piece of clear shipping tape to fit over the broken area and laid it on using tweezers. You can hardly tell it was broken from the bottom of the wing and the top still looks brand new thanks to that plastic looking coating on it. I only needed to adjust the digital trim on the ailerons 2 beeps the next time I flew it.

Hanging from the ceiling above my computer screen is a F4U-4 that I built from a Monogram plastic kit 30 years ago when I was almost 30 years old. Its' wingspan is 10 inches. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever be able to fly an F4U that's just a little bigger than that plastic kit of so long ago. Years ago I built an Eagle 40 and put an OS Max .25 engine on it and THAT was considered small way back when!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Smith, Randy