At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: P-47D THUNDERBOLT "CHOW HOUND" Reviews

P-47D THUNDERBOLT "CHOW HOUND" Reviews

Alfa P-47,
    A beautiful little airplane. Assembles easily and flies very well. Keep it light and a intermediate level flyer will have no problems piloting this.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Daily, W.

Re: P-47D THUNDERBOLT "CHOW HOUND" Reviews

Beautifully Stable Flyer
    I love the Alpha models. They are a flying work of art; well made and easy to complete and get in the air. The P-47 was my first aileron plane, and it was a joy to fly. Easy flight characteristics make this a great second plane. Slows nicely and floats in for landings.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Lester, James

My
    I live in a neighborhood with a nice park nearby. I thought it might be fun to purchase a park flyer R/C model and be able to take advantage of those opportunities when the weather is cooperating and the local flying site seems too far away. I decided on the Hobby Lobby P-47D Thunderbolt with the "Chow Hound" nose art.

I've always loved the bubble top Thunderbolt, and loved the artwork supplied with this particular kit. I ordered over the phone and had the model at my doorstep in only a few days. The first thing that impressed me was the way the model was packaged. Hobby Lobby had actually designed the shipping box as a carrying case for the assembled kit with clever cradles inside to securely hold the fuselage and the wing. Very ingenious! The quality of the individual components was very good.

The model comes completely painted with all the markings you'd expect to find on the full-size plane. The decals are the water slide variety you'd find in a smaller plastic model kit, but are easy to apply and are extremely nice. I had a lot of fun decorating my Thunderbolt with the decals. As it was coming along, my wife commented on the cool graphics and said she loved the way the dog looked on the two sides of the fuselage. I could hardly wait to fly it!

For power, I installed the AXI 2208/34 motor with an APC 9 x 4.7 prop. I also installed the GWS R-6N II 6-Channel Narrow Band FM Micro Receiver with two GWS S-100 Micro Servos for guidance. Power to the radio was supplied by a Thunder Power 1320 mAh / 11.1 V Li-Polymer battery pack. The all up weight, ready to fly, came out to exactly 17 ounces.

The directions supplied in the kit were fantastic and easy to follow. I used all of the recommended control throws and did a final CG balance before the maiden flight. With a fully charged battery pack, I headed out to the nearby park. I love the way the battery compartment is easily accessible by sliding the canopy back and lifting the entire thing off. The battery is placed inside the fuselage on the center of gravity and is held in place with Velcro. The whole procedure takes seconds to complete. I attached the battery to the receiver and waited for the speed controller to do its thing, and then gently tossed the "Chow Hound" into the air for its first sortie.

What a great little plane this thing is! She climbed out of my hand like a missile and was screaming for altitude. I truly didn't expect such incredible performance. I was able to perform any maneuver I was accustomed to doing with my larger models. And the overall flight envelope was remarkable for such a small fighter plane. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to see what the slow flight capabilities were like and took the plane up high. I chopped the throttle and let the P-47 settle into a nice glide. She floated with no bad tendencies at all. It was actually quite fun to get her up to several hundred feet overhead and just thermal around like a glider.

After about 18 minutes of flight time, I noticed the power starting to diminish and began deciding on a landing approach. I brought the "Chow Hound" down low and into the wind for a gentle landing at my feet. All in all, I was blown away with this new plane. It exceeded my expectations in every way. Both in the overall quality of the kit and in its flying performance. The Hobby Lobby P-47D Thunderbolt "Chow Hound" has become one of my most favorite models to fly, and is a hit with everyone at the field.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good time. You won't be disappointed!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Bacon, Michael

My Chow Hound
    I live in a neighborhood with a beautiful park nearby. I would drive by it from time to time and think about flying something small there. Something electric. It sure would be nice to take advantage of those days when the weather is cooperating and the local R/C field seems too far away. I did some searching on the internet and found the Hobby Lobby website. After watching every video they had on the smaller electric scale models, I decided on the P-47D Thunderbolt with the "Chow Hound" nose art. It looked great on the website, and even better in their online video. I've always loved the bubble-top P-47 and ordered one immediately. In only a few days, I had my kit in front of me.

My first impression when opening the box was how nicely everything was packaged inside. Hobby Lobby had even designed the shipping box to later be used for storing and transporting the model. There were cleverly designed cradles inside to hold the wing and fuselage separately. I thought that was a nice touch. The individual parts were of high quality, too. The instructions were clearly written, and the large decal sheet really made the model come alive. My wife commented on the cool graphics and said the running dog with his tongue out was going to look great on the fuselage sides. I could hardly wait to put this thing together!

For power, I installed the AXI 2208/34 motor with an APC 9 x 4.7 propeller. I then installed a GWS R-6N II 6-Channel Narrow Band FM Micro Receiver with two GWS S-100 Micro Servos for guidance. To power the whole system, I installed a Thunder Power 1320 mAh / 11.1 V Li-Polymer battery pack. The entire plane, ready to fly, came out to be 17 ounces exactly. Not too bad. I had purchased a park flyer in the very early days when the motors and battery packs weren't near the level they are today, and was anxiously optimistic that things had become a little better in the performance department. I was really impressed with the looks of my finished Thunderbolt and hoped I had made a wise choice.

The kit went together in only a few hours. The water slide decals were quite fun to apply and really do add the finishing touches. All in all, my "Chow Hound" was starting to look like a serious fighter plane. I followed the instructions and adjusted the servos to the recommended throws, checked the center of gravity with the battery pack installed and gave the plane a final check before charging the batteries.

With a fully charged battery pack (or two), I headed out to the nearby park for my first sortie. I love the way you access the battery compartment by simply sliding the canopy back and out of the way. The battery is then attached to a piece of Velcro located on the model's center of gravity and plugged into the receiver. The speed controller immediately goes through its start-up procedure and then beeps to tell you it's ready to go. The canopy was quickly re-attached and then the Thunderbolt was pointed into the wind. After a gentle toss into the air, my "Chow Hound" was airborne. It had an incredible acceleration rate and was screaming for altitude. What an impressive plane this was turning out to be! Nothing like the electric planes of the past. That's for sure.

I quickly realized that there was almost nothing I couldn't do with this model. I was able to put it through any maneuver I wanted to. I really didn't even miss the fact that I had only elevator and aileron control to steer the P-47 and quickly dismissed the thought of adding a rudder servo. She flew like a fighter plane should. After a few minutes of buzzing the deck, I wanted to see what the slow flight performance would be like and took the model up a few hundred feet. Once I had reached a safe height, I chopped the throttle back to idle and was pleasantly surprised to see the the Thunderbolt had no bad tendencies at all. Just a gentle drop of the nose and a transition into a smooth glide. She was actually quite fun to take up high and glide around with. I must have done this five or six times. After about 18 minutes of flying, I started to notice a drop in the battery's output and began to think about my first landing approach. Since I had just done a fair bit of slow flying with the P-47, I was very confident in landing without incident. I brought my "Chow Hound" into the wind and gently landed at my feet.

What an absolute pleasure to fly! I can highly recommend the Hobby Lobby P-47D Thunderbolt "Chow Hound" to anyone looking for a great electric scale park flyer with stunning performance. You won't be disappointed.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Bacon, Michael

P-47 Chow Hound
    I've got about 4 hours of flying time on my P47, and it flies great. I haven't had any crashes, one or two close calls while low and inverted. I powered mine with an Astroflight 010 geared motor swinging a 9X6 prop, and a 1300 mAh Lipo. So far every flight has been between 25 and 30 minutes with plenty of maneuvering and altitude changes. With this setup, it flies very scale with probably 60 degree climbs. It loops and rolls very well and does a decent job of flying inverted. It has a cambered airfoil so when you want to go fast it wants to climb. In no wind and with half throttle, it'll maintain altitude and you can fly controlled patterns 4ft off the ground. Landing is pretty easy. I just get it flying low and stable at half throttle, then cut the power, and feather the elevator. My first landings softly thudded in the grass, but now when I touch down it'll slide for about 6 ft. I've flown it in considerable wind with an approaching storm, and it still flew ok. It needed considerable throttle to advance into the wind, and I was constantly battling wind gusts, but the landings went just fine. My model came in at 14 Ounces, and it has pretty light wing loading. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have rudder, and at times the tail want to slowly wag left and right. I may add a rudder this winter. Assembly is pretty straight forward, just make sure you pull out the aileron cables and oil them. it makes a HUGE difference in how hard the servo has to work. The foam is pretty soft so it is easy to accidentally add impressions. Over all it's a fun plane, and I would definitely recommend the astroflight brushless motor.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Nenadic, John