At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-47 THUNDERBOLT ARF Reviews

P-47 THUNDERBOLT ARF Reviews

Rides on rails!
    This plane I bought a few years ago. It was my first small plane made of foam; prior to this plane I was flying .40 trainers. To be honest I wasn't confident and this little plane scared me when I took it to the field. It was very simple to build as most everything was already done. It took a bit of time to find the right place to put the battery to get the proper CG but other than this I wouldn't have any complaints about the building of this kit. The foam is thin so you have to be careful when you store or transport this plane, as you will get dings in it very easily.

For the first flight I had a friend hand launch the plane so I could have both hands on the radio. All the terror and fear I had of this little plane went away instantly when it was airborne. This plane has a wide range of speed. The plane can fly very slow and stable or fast while riding on rails. This p-47 flew so well that 4 other people at the field bought one within 2 weeks of seeing it. Landing this plane was also something I worried about, just to find out it was the simplest thing to do with how slow and easy this plane can fly.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Luders, Ryan

Re: P-47 THUNDERBOLT ARF Reviews

great, fun easy to fly warbird
    I bought this airplane when it first surfaced about five years ago. I had to wait a few weeks because it was backordered. When I finally received it I was shocked at the quality. The airframe was almost completely assembled, and to my surprise there wasn't a single dent in the foam. It took me about three hours to install the brushed motor, gearbox, esc, battery, receiver and two servos. It could not be more simple. ( the model has since been updated to be even more simple and has a two piece fuse. see website). If you have never had an alfa bird before, I'll tell you the best feature is their decals. They are top quality. What your left with when finished is an extremely scale looking warbird.
    Flying this ship is way simpler than I had imagined. Handlaunches are done with ease as the light craft leaves your hand with a straight climb. The model flies at a nice scale speed with enough authority to do rolls, loops, and inverted flight. Since it is so incredibly light, it will fly at slow speed without stalling. Landings are made with an approach at maybe one third throttle and and cutting it to idle at about 50 feet away at thirty feet altitude. The model then floats gently to the ground. Keeping it off the ground as long as you can will insure a soft slow drop to the ground.
    I flew this plane for a good year and a half, eventually wore the engine out, bought a new brushed 380(so cheap)and flew the heck out of it again. When that engine went, I installed an AXI and jeti esc and it just stepped up the performance.
    Finally last fall, after about a good 100 flights, I decided to retire the jug. It had more dents in the foam, patched holes in the wing, cracked cowl and so on. The plane owed me NOTHING! I see it as the model lived up to the reputation of the full size Jug that could take punishment like no other and continue flying. I will be honest, the only reason I retired it is because I noticed that Hobby Lobby introduced an updated Alpha P-47 which had flaps and retracts, so I bought that and took all the gear out of the original and put it into the new one. (You would not believe how much dirt and grass was inside of it!) I thought the first was fun! My house is surrounded by farm fields so I can take off my driveway, fly above the fields and land in my driveway. Truthfully, it doesn't get much better.
    The Jug is a great way to fly the scale of a warbird with the ease of a park flyer. Although I eventually upgraded to a brushless motor, the $11.00 brushed motor flew it quite well. I would recommend this bird as a first warbird to anyone.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by demarco, todd

best arf I have ever bought !!!
    fasted build i have ever done- 30 minutes if you use foam safe CA. attach tail, main wing, and your done !!!! unbelievable detail on the plane. the pictures do it NO justice. the horizontal and vertical stabs are both airfoil shaped and add great scale looks. foam is hard but dents easily, so be gentile. retracts work great, but are fast, video shows slow'd servo. cowl paint cracks off if you squeeze too hard, so be gentile. scale prop looks cool. probably the best arf I have ever received. arf comes with battery. dont hesitate. buy this plane.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by runnels, chris

P-47 THUNDERBOLT ARF
    THIS IS MY SECOUND HL P-47. I HAD THE RTF MODEL AND WANTED THIS ARF MODEL TO PLAY AROUND WITH IT. I INSTALLED FLAPS, AN EFLITE 480, A 30 AMP ESC AND A DX61 RECEIVER. STILL PLAYING AROUND WITH PROPELLERS BUT THE PLANE FLIES A LITTLE FASTER WITH THIS SET UP AND COMES IN FINE WITH FLAPS. HAVE OVER 25 FLIGHTS ON MY OTHER P-47 AND EVERYTHING IS HOLDING UP FINE. SOME OF MY FRIENDS HAVE NOW BOUGHT THIS PLANE AND WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOME DINGS IN THE FOAM AND CHIPS ON THE COWL, ALL SEEMS FINE. IF YOUR INTO WAR PLANES I WOULD SUGGEST YOU BUY THIS.KENNY,CAPE COD,MA.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by DUTRA, KENNETH

P-47
    Its one heck of plane. It looks great and flys wonderful here at 6700 feet above see level. plenty of power with throttle to spare. One of the pilots from my little flying group picked one up from Action Hobbies who got it from your team and we did some flying yesterday. This guy has around 80 planes and was just raving about it. Thought I would share this with you so if any one asks your staff how it does in the high altitude they can truly say it flys like a champ. Our altitude gives a good testing ground for planes and heli's and the P47 passed with flying colors.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Mike Hunziker

P47 Thunderbolt ARF
    This is a good value in an ARF semi-scale foam electric WWII warbird. Not for the beginner RC airplane pilot, but I recommend it for the intermediate pilot that is competent with T/O and Landings with a 4-channel airplane. The plane assembles fast and is generally well constructed for a molded foam ARF airplane. Use epoxy to glue the tail in place (both rudder and horizontal stabilizer). Be sure to properly align the horizontal stabilizer/rudder assembly on the fuselage using the wing as your guide while the epoxy dries. For added security, I added a 1” length of silicone tube over all clevises (a good practice to keep them closed). The retractable landing gear work well, but are poorly aligned in the wheel wells (gear doors do not fit well), and the design does not provide for adequate adjustment for proper alignment. The P47 readily balances with the included 1650mAh LiPo battery (full forward in the battery compartment). However, with this battery, the model is power sensitive to elevator trim adjustment. I also flew with a 2100 mAh 20C 3-cell LiPo battery (weighs 1.4 ounces more), and this additional weight seems to move the CG forward just enough to eliminate this power-trim sensitivity. My fling field is at 6800 feet above sea level, and the power system and propeller provide very good power for excellent T/O and aerobatics. I set up the control throws as per the instruction and included 25% EXP. I also added dual rates with 50% additional control throw, again with 25% EXP (dual rates for aerobatics). A scale-like flying speed is achieved at about ½-throttle. I have 6 flights on the P-47 and no bad tendencies yet discovered – stalls are predictable and well-behaved. The P-47 slows down quickly when power is reduced, so best landings are accomplished by carrying a little power on final approach and reducing throttle while flaring to a gentle touchdown – a great crowd pleaser! To improve visibility of the P-47, I added invasion stripes to the top of the wings (1.5” wide vinyl tape - black and white) which helps significantly to keep proper orientation, and looks great during low, high-speed passes. I sprayed on 2 coats of water-based polycrylic to provide a measure of scratch resistance to the foam. Once again, Hobby Lobby has provided a very good flying airplane, and a good value. Any plans to provide an EScale P-40 or F4U?
    Positives
    •Rx Ready. Includes 5 servo’s, retractable landing gear, steerable tail wheel, brushless motor & ESC, 3-cell LiPo battery, beautiful 4-blade propeller
    •Builds FAST
    •Good stand-off scale appearance
    •EXCELLENT flying airplane that looks beautiful in the air and on the ground
    Negatives
    •Foam is easily scratched and dented – maybe on future models, HL could have a protective hard coating for added protection?
    •Manufacturing defect (incompletely formed foam) on the starboard wing – not structural, only cosmetic
    •Retractable landing gear doors not aligned well to landing gear cavities in wing. I adjusted the landing gear in the mounts for some improvement, but still the landing gear doors have a gap (1/8”) at the training edge to the wing cavity.
    •Instruction does not advise to align horizontal stabilizer with wing during assembly (otherwise instructions are good and well illustrated).
    •No pilot in the cockpit.
    •No included LiPo battery charger as stated on web-site.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Welsby, Scott

great flying warbird
    I've been flying this P-47 for several weeks now and am very impressed at how well it flys. I've been using it to fly combat with the hobby zone Sonic Combat Module. I'm fighting mostly against the Park Zone P-51, which is slightly faster (probably because of the 4 bladed prop on the Thunderbolt) however, it looks so cool I don't want to change it and the performance isn't all that bad. At any rate, the thunderbolt has been very competitive against the P-51, winning more fights than losing. It has no bad habits. I can pull full up elevator for tight turns with no tendency to snap or stall. Very stable. It has great scale looks, especially with the four bladed prop and retracts. If you're looking for a foamie warbird that looks as good as it flys, consider this thunderbolt. You won't be sorry.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Barone, Dan

P47 Thunderbolt ARF = Great Flyer, Good Value
    This is a good value in an ARF semi-scale foam electric WWII warbird. Not for the beginner RC airplane pilot, but I recommend it for the intermediate pilot that is competent with T/O and Landings with a 4-channel airplane. The plane assembles fast and is generally well constructed for a molded foam ARF airplane. Use epoxy to glue the tail in place (both rudder and horizontal stabilizer). Be sure to properly align the horizontal stabilizer/rudder assembly on the fuselage using the wing as your guide while the epoxy dries. For added security, I added a 1” length of silicone tube over all clevises (a good practice to keep them closed). The retractable landing gear work well, but are poorly aligned in the wheel wells (gear doors do not fit well), and the design does not provide for adequate adjustment for proper alignment. The P47 readily balances with the included 1650mAh LiPo battery (full forward in the battery compartment). However, with this battery, the model is power sensitive to elevator trim adjustment. I also flew with a 2100 mAh 20C 3-cell LiPo battery (weighs 1.4 ounces more), and this additional weight seems to move the CG forward just enough to eliminate this power-trim sensitivity. My flying field is at 6800 feet above sea level, and the power system and propeller provide very good power for excellent T/O and aerobatics. I set up the control throws as per the instruction and included 25% EXP. I also added dual rates with 50% additional control throw, again with 25% EXP (dual rates for aerobatics). A scale-like flying speed is achieved at about ½-throttle. I have 6 flights on the P-47 and no bad tendencies yet discovered – stalls are predictable and well-behaved. The P-47 slows down quickly when power is reduced, so best landings are accomplished by carrying a little power on final approach and reducing throttle while flaring to a gentle touchdown – a great crowd pleaser! To improve visibility of the P-47, I added invasion stripes to the top of the wings (1.5” wide vinyl tape - black and white) which helps significantly to keep proper orientation, and looks great during low, high-speed passes. I sprayed on 2 coats of water-based polycrylic to provide a measure of scratch resistance to the foam. Once again, Hobby Lobby has provided a very good flying airplane, and a good value. Any plans to provide an EScale P-40 or F4U?
    Positives
    •Rx Ready. Includes 5 servo’s, retractable landing gear, steerable tail wheel, brushless motor & ESC, 3-cell LiPo battery, beautiful 4-blade propeller
    •Builds FAST
    Negatives
    •Foam is easily scratched and dented – maybe on future models, HL could add a protective hard coating for more protection?
    •Manufacturing defect (incompletely formed foam) on the starboard wing – not structural, only cosmetic
    •Retractable landing gear doors not aligned well to landing gear cavities in wing. I adjusted the landing gear in the mounts for some improvement, but still the landing gear doors have a gap (1/8”) at the training edge to the wing cavity.
    •Instruction does not advise to align horizontal stabilizer with wing during assembly (otherwise instructions are good and well illustrated).

P47 Thunderbolt ARF = Great Flyer and Good Value
    This is a good value in an ARF semi-scale foam electric WWII warbird. Not for the beginner RC airplane pilot, but I recommend it for the intermediate pilot that is competent with T/O and Landings with a 4-channel airplane. The plane assembles fast and is generally well constructed for a molded foam ARF airplane. Use epoxy to glue the tail in place (both rudder and horizontal stabilizer). Be sure to properly align the horizontal stabilizer/rudder assembly on the fuselage using the wing as your guide while the epoxy dries. For added security, I added a 1” length of silicone tube over all clevises (a good practice to keep them closed). The retractable landing gear work well, but are poorly aligned in the wheel wells (gear doors do not fit well), and the design does not provide for adequate adjustment for proper alignment. The P47 readily balances with the included 1650mAh LiPo battery (full forward in the battery compartment). However, with this battery, the model is power sensitive to elevator trim adjustment. I also flew with a 2100 mAh 20C 3-cell LiPo battery (weighs 1.4 ounces more), and this additional weight seems to move the CG forward just enough to eliminate this power-trim sensitivity. My flying field is at 6800 feet above sea level, and the power system and propeller provide very good power for excellent T/O and aerobatics. I set up the control throws as per the instruction and included 25% EXP. I also added dual rates with 50% additional control throw, again with 25% EXP (dual rates for aerobatics). A scale-like flying speed is achieved at about ½-throttle. I have 6 flights on the P-47 and no bad tendencies yet discovered – stalls are predictable and well-behaved. The P-47 slows down quickly when power is reduced, so best landings are accomplished by carrying a little power on final approach and reducing throttle while flaring to a gentle touchdown – a great crowd pleaser! To improve visibility of the P-47, I added invasion stripes to the top of the wings (1.5” wide vinyl tape - black and white) which helps significantly to keep proper orientation, and looks great during low, high-speed passes. I sprayed on 2 coats of water-based polycrylic to provide a measure of scratch resistance to the foam. Once again, Hobby Lobby has provided a very good flying airplane, and a good value. Any plans to provide an EScale P-40 or F4U?
    Positives
    •Builds FAST
    Negatives
    •Foam is easily scratched and dented – maybe on future models, HL could add a protective hard coating for more protection?

P-47
    I love how she flies and lands. Very stable and will slow down to a crawl with full down flaps. The only improvements it needs is to be made from the new more durable foam and have a motor cooling hole in the bottom of the cowling to let the motor heat out. I didn't know that was a problem and mine distorted the cowling from the heat buildup. Since removed foam from the bottom of the cowling enough to vent the heat and had no more issues with heat.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Marsh, James