At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: MISS STIK EASY FLYER KIT Reviews

MISS STIK EASY FLYER KIT Reviews

Miss Sick
    The kit makes for a great way to starting yourself in building your own planes and not to stick only with ARF's. It's flight charactheristics are just awsome. I can stay up in the sky for up to 1/2 an hour when I catch a thermal. The great stuff doesn't stop there; The sight of it up there is amazing; watching a semi-lazy plane with it's Old Timer looks it's a real dilight. If you decide to use a brushless motor you won't be dissapointed since the savings in energy are a are a factor to have in mind for long flights. Don't be fooled by it's feeble looks; the plane can stand some gusts here and threre, but it's this lightness what make it so light and able to climb quickly in the event of an aborted landing. Beware of winds that can make the wind sock stay close to horizontal or almost, this will keep you from a pleasant landing. Touch-and-goes are easy, and you also might be temped to try some aerobatics but the Miss stick is in it's element when you lower the motor stick to almost nothing and goes so lazy around the field. I guarantee your flying buddies will be shouting "Will you ever get down???" Armando Gama, Mexico City.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Gama, Armando

Re: MISS STIK EASY FLYER KIT Reviews

Great parkflyer for calm evenings
    The Miss Stik, as the name implies, is built up nearly entirely of stick balsa, even the ribs. There are however a few laser cut formers for the fuselage as well as a nicely done plastic cowl. Nevertheless, the stick building should not scare you away, it is quite simple and model goes together very easily. I covered mine in transparent Solite and it looks so beautiful when flying overhead, the sun shining through. I also use 3 inch MPI "indoor light wheels" which make for great touch-and-goes.

One recommendation I would make is to leave the "windows" of the "cockpit" open, rather than covering them. This will allow you to unplug your battery without having to take off the wing. I can actually change batteries through the window.

The plans originally called for a Speed 400 motor but today it makes more sense to go brushless. I am using a 3S 700mAh lithium battery powering a Waypoint 2208-34 outrunner in mine (available from ALLeRC.com among others) with a GWS 8x4.3 slow-flyer prop, but any small brushless in the 30-50 gram range, or around 100 watts, will do more than adequately. Hobby Lobby shows an AXI 2212/26 which will certainly work, but why pay so much on a motor for such an inexpensive kit? Even a small bell outrunner will be WAY more power than you really need. Having extra power is nice for takeoffs and getting yourself out of trouble, but where this plane really shines is in low and slow flying.

For calm evenings this is one of my favorite parkflyers. It's simple flying at its best. If you like this one I recommend checking out Tom Hunt's other designs, you can see more of his plans here: http://www.modelairtech.com/stik.html
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Middleton, Luke

Miss Stick review
    The Miss Stick kit attracted me because of its old time design and excellent price point. I bought it on sale online from Hobby Lobby for about $28.00. How can you beat that? I have been flying radio control planes for 20 years and have built about 20 planes from Cubs to Acrobatics to slow flyers.

The Miss Stick kit arrived within days by UPS and proved to be one of the easiest builds due to the precise laser cut and numbered parts and complete easy to follow instructions. A beginning builder with a little coaching from an experienced RC friend will have no trouble producing a straight and sharp looking airplane. The wing design does not use ribs but is built up using the a stick construction method. Don't be afraid of that; it's fun and produces a strong high lift wing.

It took me four nights' work to frame up the plane and a couple nights to cover it. I did notice that the balsa selection for the trailing edges of the main wing could have been stiffer. I chose to cover my plane with both clear and translucent purple Monocote.

When complete, the model is quite large for a school yard flyer but very light for its size. I mounted a brushless 400 size motor, a 20 AMP ESC, two mini servos, and a 1500 mAmp 3 cell lipo battery. If you're new to R/C, get an experienced builder to assist you with the installation. At the school field I rubber banded the wings to the fuselage, checked the center of gravity one last time, set her on the grass, and opened up the throttle. The plane was airborne in seconds and climbed quickly. I gave it a few clicks of down elevator and continued climbing. The plane responds well to input and has no funny habits. In fact, it does just fine in a little bit of wind in spite of its light weight. I decided to see how the plane soared with power off, and it's almost like flying a power glider. Soon two hawks decided to inspect my plane, and I soared with them for several minutes. This is not an acrobatic plane, so don't expect to do wild maneuvers.

With the wind picking up to just over 10 mph, I decided to bring her in. I simply reduced throttle, made a down wind run, turned the plane into the wind, and lined her up with my desired landing spot. Adding a little throttle due to the wind I brought her down within feet of myself in an a easy three point landing with virtually no roll out.

This is a great plane to build and fly and should provide hours of fun in the air. You can't beat the price, and if you already own a lot of R/C gear, you'll have your Miss Stick flying in no time. Enjoy!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by szabo, Joe

miss stick
    i have flown and have seen this airplane flown and it is very graceful but can really move too! i have heard reports of 30 plus minute flights when you go easy with the throttle! it will nearly thermal when conditions are right.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by fuller, chris

Miss Stik Construction
    Having built many balsa kits, I was looking for something a little different. The Miss Stik offers a unique construction methodology. All of the laser cut parts were very accurately cut and the parts in the kit fit together as one would expect in a quality kit. This construction was unlike any kits that I had built in the past. Having said this, however, the plans and instruction manual were very clear and concise. I found the instructions easy to follow and the completed model has turned out beautiful. As a beginner flyer, I am looking forward to putting the Miss Stik in the air as soon as the warm weather arrives in Michigan.
    I give this product 1 stars. Review by Colon, Rich

Great Aircraft
    I have flown this aircraft for quite some time and have to rave about its positive characteristics. The kit went together flawlessly and looks great. The airplane flies on nearly no power and has the capability to fly nearly forever. Many newcomers have flown my aircraft and have found it to be very easy to learn on, it comes in very slow and is nearly impossible to stall. Great airplane!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Groden, Mark

Nice kit but a bit fragile
    I bought and built this kit a couple of years ago. It builds quickly, flies great, but a bit too fragile for me. I have meat hooks for hands so I managed to break something almost every time I took it out. With that said, it still flew great and was easy to repair. This is not for someone who just wants to throw the plane into the car and go fly, it requires a bit of care and a light touch when handling.

Because of the frail structure, I gave this 4 stars and not 5. If I had to rate it on how well it flies, it is a 5 star performer all the way!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Frenzl, Ronald

Miss Stik
    I was disappointed with the kit. Very poor quality (extremely light) balsa and the "broken rib" construction made the wing very difficult to keep free of warps. The very light tail construction also contributed to me having a hard time keeping my model "true". I rebuilt the stab to overcome this problem. I was never able to get the model to fly straight and level at launch and subsequently dinged it a couple of times. I have finally given up on it and have moved on to a more substantial electric sailplane.
    I give this product 2 stars. Review by kovacs, andy

Favorite plane in my hangar
    Bought this kit to build with my son age 12 a couple years ago. We've both put over 100 flights on it and it remains our favorite plane to fly. This was the first RC plane either of us ever flew.

We bought a brushless motor similar to the Axi but a lot cheaper. My favorite battery is 3cell lipo 2400mah which gives nearly an hour of flight time without catching any thermals.

Cons: It's not as easy to build as advertised, but not bad if you have the time. The only laser cut parts are the formers in the fuselage. So you have to cut a lot of sticks. The kit was originally designed for heavier batteries and motor so you may have to add weights to the nose cowl. We've crashed this plane several times and my only complaint is I'm not aware of any place that sells a replacement cowl. We've been gluing ours back together and need a new one but don't want to buy a whole kit just to get the cowl. I suppose if you don't crash you won't have this problem!

Pros: Great flying plane especially in calm winds. But I've also flown it in 15+ mph wind after getting some experience. Very beautiful plane, long flight times. Instructions and plans are thorough and well written. It's easy to set up the controls and install the motor. Lots of room in the cabin for everything to fit easily.

I would buy one again if given the choice and have recommended it to friends.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Sharp, Henry

Miss Stik - a Miss-Take
    I have successfully built and flown well over 30 of my own model aircraft since 1988 including some of my own design. I was once known as the “test pilot” for new planes built by club members who wanted their first flight and trim-out to be done by experienced hands.

Recently I thought for the “Old Time” feel I’d try the Miss Stik, thinking a beginner’s kit would be a simple and fun project. Big mistake. First of all, for several reasons there is NO WAY a beginner should buy this kit. The instructions are sketchy and leave far too much unexplained. Beyond that, it seems the kit was put on the market without the all-important step of handing the kit over to a beginner, having him or her attempt the kit, and getting feedback on instructions that were difficult to understand so that clarification can be integrated into the manual. There is plenty of mystery in the building of the “Miss Take,” only because of scads of experience am I now even close to an airplane.

The manual consists of less than four pages of assembly instructions, plus a page of flying instructions. The tail building instructions are a scant four lines long. By comparison, a true beginner’s kit will usually give you at least two pages of tail building help (sometimes four or five) in a manual about 50 pages long, with each step clearly explained and illustrated. There are no illustrations in the Miss Stik manual. Not a single one. A beginner would be confused without plenty of visual aid. The pushrod assembly instructions consist only of “Radio and pushrod installation is left up to the modeler and his preferred techniques.” Preferred techniques? How would a beginner HAVE any preferred techniques?

The plan was no picnic either. You’ll need a very, very large building surface, about twice the size of a standard modeler’s building board. Alternatively, you can cut the plan into sections and build on a standard board, but you’ll need to frequently (and I do mean frequently) refer back to the portions that are not on the board. This proved to be very cumbersome.

Also, the wing hold-down dowel supports are each glued only to about an inch of balsa wood. Any sudden stress on the wing will rip the wing right off the balsa, converting it instantly into a nose-heavy ground-bound missile destined for complete destruction. I reinforced the dowel supports with hard wood glued to both the dowels and ply formers. Hardwood and ply will stand up to a lot more aerodynamic stress. Balsa dowel supports (or spars) will put you on a suicide mission – this I know from experience. Certainly a beginner’s plane should not invite trouble with excessive use of balsa in high-stress areas.

The tail section is poorly designed. You’ll need to be creative here to firmly attach it to the fuselage.

OK let’s assume you navigate these and a myriad of other building issues and complete the kit. You now have a very light, very fragile airframe. This is a one-crash kit. In installing the electronics I heard three different crunching sounds as I held the airframe gently to work on the kit. Have your woodworking and covering supplies at the ready for repair jobs throughout the building process. Due to the many reworks necessary during building, I am still trying to complete the kit after three weeks.

Covering is just as difficult. There are contours all over the place and no amount of stretching or shrinking will get all of the wrinkles out. To the rear of the cabin area there are odd angled sections on either side – a twisted fuselage design that just will not take a smooth covering job. Also, the bottom of the fuselage is triangular, so you’ll need to balance the fuse on something (trying not to crack any of the 1/8” square supports on the underside) while you work on covering and installation of the radio components. For best results, a third and fourth hand are needed to do these tasks. The tail sections are only 1/8” thick - top and bottom covering like to stick to each other while being put on, creating ugly little divots in the surface. I was able to work most of them out, but not all of them. Even before the maiden flight, there are patches in the covering. Sort of kills the reason for using transparent covering.

My first airplane saw exactly 12 crashes before I got it in the air on lucky 13. That was a foam plane made to survive a few crashes. As a beginner, I promise you, you will crash. Make sure your beginner’s kit is sturdy. This is not a sturdy airplane by any stretch of the imagination. On your first crash, you’ll be going home with a bag of sticks and no idea which one came from where. Along with your bag-o-mystery-wood you’ll have a radio, servos, motor, and ESC you can use for a more worthy plane. Please do not be discouraged! Just get a good kit. It is worth the work.

After all the building snafus (even for a very experienced builder), it came out ugly and fragile and was a bear to assemble. This is a great way to scare would-be modelers out of the hobby on their first try. Just get yourself a good Sig, Goldberg or Great Planes beginner’s kit. I still have my Gentle Lady, Mirage 550, Sig Smith Miniplane, Sig Seniorita, House of Balsa 2x4, a few electric sailplanes, and others, most of which I built long ago that have given me many great flights. My Mirage was built in four days in June 1990 and it still flies great! The Miss Stik purchase is a highly regrettable one.
    I give this product 1 stars. Review by Woish, Bob