At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Micro Telemaster Kit Reviews

Micro Telemaster Kit Reviews

Great Addition to the Telemaster Family
    I have built and owned a Telemaster and Senior Telemaster back in the 80's, but lately these tiny electrics fascinate me. I was delighted to see a Telemaster in this size, and it flies exactly like a Telemaster should...a much larger plane. For me, this is all about throttling way back in light early morning air and doing fly-bys, etc. It is only when it gets up close that you realize how small it is!

I have a background in gliders, and my goal was to get the plane below 6oz (again, because I like flying at "scale" speed in light air). I didn't quite succeed, but did get it to 6.5oz using a mix of wood in the kit and some contest-grade balsa of my own. My entire fuselage, for example, weighed less than the supplied balsa for the fuselage sides. But, of course my plane is not as durable as it would be with all stock wood. Parts fit well and of course laser-cut is great except for the dark edges it leaves.

Flight characteristics are classic Telemaster despite this particular model having a flat rather than lifting horizontal stabilizer. It would be interesting to the build with a lifting stab to see the potential difference. Also, note this model does not include ailerons. In this regard it isn’t quite as satisfying to fly as its bigger brothers.

Overall it is a great plane and an excellent value. I wouldn’t mind the price being a little bit higher in return for some lighter grade balsa, but not all will agree with me (durability and wind penetration more important for some). I think mine would have ended up as about 9oz (not the stated 6-8oz) if I had just built it stock. I’m also interested in ailerons, since servos are so light these days. Can we have a “micro pro” next?
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Gordon, Charles

Re: Micro Telemaster Kit Reviews

Great Addition to the Telemaster Family
    I have built and owned a Telemaster and Senior Telemaster back in the 80's, but lately these tiny electrics fascinate me. I was delighted to see a Telemaster in this size, and it flies exactly like a Telemaster should...a much larger plane. For me, this is all about throttling way back in light early morning air and doing fly-bys, etc. It is only when it gets up close that you realize how small it is!

I have a background in gliders, and my goal was to get the plane below 6oz (again, because I like flying at "scale" speed in light air). I didn't quite succeed, but did get it to 6.5oz using a mix of wood in the kit and some contest-grade balsa of my own. My entire fuselage, for example, weighed less than the supplied balsa for the fuselage sides. But, of course my plane is not as durable as it would be with all stock wood. Parts fit well and of course laser-cut is great except for the dark edges it leaves.

Flight characteristics are classic Telemaster despite this particular model having a flat rather than lifting horizontal stabilizer. It would be interesting to the build with a lifting stab to see the potential difference. Also, note this model does not include ailerons. In this regard it isn’t quite as satisfying to fly as its bigger brothers.

Overall it is a great plane and an excellent value. I wouldn’t mind the price being a little bit higher in return for some lighter grade balsa, but not all will agree with me (durability and wind penetration more important for some). I think mine would have ended up as about 9oz (not the stated 6-8oz) if I had just built it stock. I’m also interested in ailerons, since servos are so light these days. Can we have a “micro pro” next?
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Gordon, Charles

First build kit EVER
    I decided to purchase the Micro Telemaster build kit as an entry way into the building aspect of this hobby. I have assembled and flown numerous rc airplanes; from rtf micro indoor planes to giant scale arfs. I am extremely pleased with my decision to purchase this kit.

90% of the parts are precision laser cut which allow the model to be assembled like a puzzle. The builder must cut the balsa sticks to form the supports of the fuselage, horizontal stab, and the wings. From the first piece to the last piece, this model is a GREAT introduction into the building aspect of the hobby.

I ended up straying from the recommended power system: I used a Park250 motor, Thunderbird 9A esc, 2 HS55 servos and an AR6100 RX. This setup required me to add 1/2 oz of lead to the nose in order for the model to balance correctly. the Park 250 is PLENTY of motor for this model, however it is extremely light.

My only complaint is the kit does not include any of the graphics that you see in the pictures. I covered my Micro Telemaster to resemble the Telemaster they are advertising, but there was no an included "Micro Telemaster" decal for the wings.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Karlan, Bryan

Great all-around plane
    I'm someone who only keeps one plane flying at a time and have been in constant search for THE all around plane. I think this is it.

In my mind it's the sweet spot for plane size/weight. Its small enough to fly anywhere but big enough to fly anytime (moderate winds). The electronics for this size plane are cheap and powerful (I have nearly vertical power with an AUW of ~9oz including some repairs).

It's handled the addition of pontoons with ease and almost no noticeable effect in performance.

As for building, this was my first balsa build and it was easy. I love the simplicity and strength of the full panel fuselage (not sticks).

Great all around plane. Highly recommended.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by hamilton, chris

Where is It?
    This is probably a good kit, but you can't get the damn thing!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Sheets, Ronald