Thread: F5-E TIGER "SWISS" ARF Reviews

F5-E TIGER "SWISS" ARF Reviews

Super Flying F5-E Tiger Swiss 70mm EDF Jet
    Hobby-Lobby F5-E Tiger “Swiss” 70mm EDF JET Flight Report:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=1

VIDEO:
    http://vimeo.com/2873002

First Flight:
    This has to be the best RC EDF Jet I have ever seen fly. I do realize that this is my very first ownership of an Electric EDF Jet but, I have flown at least two already and can tell you that this F5-E is a keeper.

Roll out on the smooth Oval 440 Track at the Middle School was uneventful and the model tracked straight and so, I throttle up and after perhaps 25 feet of runway run I slowly lifted her by applying up Elevator in a gradual manner.

Video that my Buddy Gerry (Simao) recorded you will noticed that I quickly Throttle back and this Jet was a delightful true “Park Flyer” with very graceful and gentle manners. I slightly throttle up for more altitude and made my first Roll and did so in a very slow and scale manner and yes, I did keep some down elevator. The Ailerons performed very well and did not need to use any rudder input for the turns nor to make the roll look any better than what was witnessed.

Now for the important part, the retracts worked very well and the landing was made without any power what so ever. I was rather high on the approach and the momentum and resultant airspeed from the bleed off is all this model needed. It was pretty neat to hear nothing on approach and perhaps you will hear Gerry’s breathing as the model touched down super smooth and gentle like.

Gerry is presently uploading the Video to Vimeo dot com and I will perhaps give him one hour or so for him to come over and post the video footage.

Second Flight: (NOTE: This issue was corrected by programming Expo to the Rudder / Nose Wheel !!)
    Can you believe, I just could not keep the rudder stick still, it is called the 2nd flight gitters or something and things happen for a reason as the model started to veer off just a little to the Left and I over corrected to the Right and the Left main gear / retract came down. I went back to the park side and took my tools out and in less than 5 minutes I bent the Left inter-connecting Stainless steel rod enough so the “DOWN & LOCK” was tight and it worked. However, another two attempts and I did the same thing as I over corrected again and the Left main gear / retract fell down again. I finally concentrated enough that I re-locked the gear and attempted one more time and I throttle gently and the model tracked very well and I pulled up and she was off for the second flight.

This time, I was much more aggressive and performed some of the best Loops and Rolls with this model. The landing was with slight power as I wanted to see a higher alpha landing under power and again, the landing was gentle and precise with a smooth roll out.

Battery Condition:
    After the first flight the battery was Cold, as ESC. Of course I was flying right at ½ throttle during the maiden and it was a true “Park Flyer” mode style of flying and super scale. I do recall that the Battery pack measured 15.8 Volts after the first flight.

After the second flight the pack was just a little warm, nothing to be alarmed about and I do recall I measured the pack to be right at 15.34 Volts and the charger put back 1512mAH back.

THIS MODEL IS A KEEPER!!!!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Marin, Carlos

Re: F5-E TIGER "SWISS" ARF Reviews

starmax f5 tiger
    nice and big, the foam is quite good quality. mine is the red and white version and it looks pretty good. i only flew it once last year and this is why i gave it 2 stars only: motor is only 400 watts or so and even at wot it's pretty anemic. i'm remotoring mine to 700 watts with a het rc motor and fan. servos are rubbish also. it's nice that it has retracts and it does fly quite nicely, just needs more power
    I give this product 2 stars. Review by birbeck, douglas

Surprisingly well built
    This is a much better built model than the Sapac T-45 foamy that I've been flying. The F5-E comes with Robart style pin hinges installed! In contrast, the Sapac uses a flimsy aileron hinge tape, and the control
    horns sink into the foam. Also, the F5E uses one servo per control surface. The T-45 uses one servo for
    the ailerons, and one for the elevators. The servo linkages on this F5E are also of better quality than
    those on the T-45.

I haven't flown mine yet, but two of my club buddies have. They both told me to disable the BEC on the built in ESC (pull the middle pin), and install a separate BEC. It's got a lot of servos, and they are worried about
    overloading the BEC. One of my buddies also replaced the main gear with the .10 sized Great Planes mechanical retracts, which are beefier. He broke the original retracts.

One word of advice, you might want to sand off the paint at all of the glue joints. I did not think to do that when I was assembling mine.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Shaker, Christopher

F5-E Tiger Review
    When I first laid my eyes on the F5-E and saw just how large this aircraft was, it was a have to have. I ordered it on the spot and never regretted it. The F5-E comes is expertly packed and took me less than two hours to have flight ready. All the major work is done so that all that’s left is to glue the wings, tail and nosecone in place, install the retracts and connect the pushrods to their respective control surface and, of course add your own receiver. The retracts attach to the bottom of the wing, into a pre molded recess, then a plate is installed on the top of the wing and they are screwed together with 4 screws, in effect sandwiching the wing material between the landing gear and the plate. The brushless motor, 70mm fan unit, ESC and servos are all factory installed. There are 9 - count em: 9 servos in this airplane! 2 for ailerons, 2 for elevators, 1 for rudder, 1 for the nose wheel steering, 3 for the retracts ( each wheel get’s it’s own). The steering servo for the nose wheel is actually mounted to the nose gear itself! If you are looking for a great deal on 9 servos, it’s almost worth buying the airplane just for the servos!

I had only one concern with the F5-E and that is the wings have no spar, and are glued to the fuselage without any reinforcement. If you watch the on line video (I noticed this with my example as well), there is some considerable wing flexing going on in high-G maneuvers. To date I have not had any problems and even, once in order to avoid another RC airplane had to yank full up during a high speed pass but she held together. I do feel that a hard landing could potentially snap the wings off, but if you are flying one of these planes you certainly should know what you are doing and be able to land smoothly. Once together, add your receiver of choice, charge the included 4 cell, 2200mAh Li-Poly battery and she’s ready for flight.

Flight performance is amazing. At full power, less than 50 feet and the F5-E is airborne - you would think it had an afterburner. Gear up and she gets into her groove very quickly. I added a servo slow module ( Hobby Lobby # NFSD1) to slow down the retract speed. This greatly enhances its scale flying appearance. The F5-E flies like a champ through the entire flight envelope and is very stable. High speed passes look and sound very realistic. Inverted flight requires slight down elevator but otherwise will fly inverted as long as you feel comfortable. Loops from level flight are no prob. She has plenty of power! What amazes me most about the F5-E is its slow speed performance. This little sweetie can be slowed down to a crawl and landing approaches are as easy as with a trainer. Set up final approach, slow down to approach speed and establish a nose up attitude of about 20 degrees. Extend the landing gear and use the throttle to control descent rate. Rudder is very effective and helpful in a crosswind. She’ll come right in on the mains with the nose wheel touching down right after.

This airplane really needs a paved runway or extremely short grass. The wheels are small and the retracts are set in the foam wings and again have no reinforcement. They could come lose on a rough field or hard landing. I made one landing on grass due to a strong crosswind and the retracts did loosen up a little and needed to tighten them. If you do not have a paved strip make sure the grass is short or, just leave the gear up and hand launch. Geez most of the EDF jets out there don’t even have landing gear!

What do I think of the F5-E? I love it. Its large size makes it stand out from the rest of the bunch of little EDF jets. The scale outline is true to its full size counterpart. Flight performance is incredible at all speeds, and its slow speed performance never ceases to amaze me. This is a great jet for anyone that has mastered the art of RC flying. If you are comfortable that you can grease your landings, than you will have no problem with the Hobby Lobby F-5. To date I have over 20 flights on mine, including several with the Flycam One-2 attached to it’s belly and have never regretted this purchase. It’s an awesome piece of engineering and a pretty one too! Well done!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Oesterwinter, Peter

F5-E Tiger Review
    When I first laid my eyes on the F5-E and saw just how large this aircraft was, it was a have to have. I ordered it on the spot and never regretted it. The F5-E comes is expertly packed and took me less than two hours to have flight ready. All the major work is done so that all that’s left is to glue the wings, tail and nosecone in place, install the retracts and connect the pushrods to their respective control surface and, of course add your own receiver. The retracts attach to the bottom of the wing, into a pre-molded recess, then a plate is installed on the top of the wing and they are screwed together with 4 screws, in effect sandwiching the wing material between the landing gear and the plate. The brushless motor, 70mm fan unit, ESC and servos are all factory installed. There are 9 - count em: 9 servos in this airplane! 2 for ailerons, 2 for elevators, 1 for rudder, 1 for the nose wheel steering, 3 for the retracts ( each wheel get’s it’s own). The steering servo for the nose wheel is actually mounted to the nose gear itself! If you are looking for a great deal on 9 servos, it’s almost worth buying the airplane just for the servos!

I had only one concern with the F5-E and that is the wings have no spar, and are glued to the fuselage without any reinforcement. If you watch the on line video (I noticed this with my example as well), there is some considerable wing flexing going on in high-G maneuvers. To date I have not had any problems and even, once in order to avoid another RC airplane had to yank full up during a high speed pass but she held together. I do feel that a hard landing could potentially snap the wings off, but if you are flying one of these planes you certainly should know what you are doing and be able to land smoothly. Once together, add your receiver of choice, charge the included 4 cell, 2200mAh Li-Poly battery and she’s ready for flight.

Flight performance is amazing. At full power, less than 50 feet and the F5-E is airborne - you would think it had an afterburner. Gear up and she gets into her groove very quickly. I added a servo slow module ( Hobby Lobby # NFSD1) to slow down the retract speed. This greatly enhances its scale flying appearance. The F5-E flies like a champ through the entire flight envelope and is very stable. High speed passes look and sound very realistic. Inverted flight requires slight down elevator but otherwise will fly inverted as long as you feel comfortable. Loops from level flight are no prob. She has plenty of power! What amazes me most about the F5-E is its slow speed performance. This little sweetie can be slowed down to a crawl and landing approaches are as easy as with a trainer. Set up final approach, slow down to approach speed and establish a nose up attitude of about 20 degrees. Extend the landing gear and use the throttle to control descent rate. Rudder is very effective and helpful in a crosswind. She’ll come right in on the mains with the nose wheel touching down right after.

This airplane really needs a paved runway or extremely short grass. The wheels are small and the retracts are set in the foam wings and again have no reinforcement. They could come lose on a rough field or hard landing. I made one landing on grass due to a strong crosswind and the retracts did loosen up a little and needed to tighten them. If you do not have a paved strip make sure the grass is short or, just leave the gear up and hand launch. Geez most of the EDF jets out there don’t even have landing gear!

What do I think of the F5-E? I love it. Its large size makes it stand out from the rest of the bunch of little EDF jets. The scale outline is true to its full size counterpart. Flight performance is incredible at all speeds, and its slow speed performance never ceases to amaze me. This is a great jet for anyone that has mastered the art of RC flying. If you are comfortable that you can grease your landings, than you will have no problem with the Hobby Lobby F-5. To date I have over 20 flights on mine, including several with the Flycam One-2 attached to it’s belly and have never regretted this purchase. It’s an awesome piece of engineering and a pretty one too! Well done!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Oesterwinter, Peter

My first ducted fan
    This kit is packaged very well. My came missing the wing tip ordinance, but included an extra rotor and spinner. This turned out useful as the spinner on the unit wasn't on the rotor, but was laying in the fuselage undetected by me. When I test ran the fan, it got sucked into the rotor and did a number to both of them. So before I fly I get some experience working on fans. The unit came out the bottom with some effort. I reinstalled it with packing tape around to pull on if it ever needs removed in the future.

The plane went together very easily. I could have done it without the instructions which say to glue the nose on first. Trust me, this is the last thing you want to do as it is fragile, and no need to have it on until everything else is done. The different servo leads are numbered, but for the most part they didn't match my Airtronics 2.4ghz receiver channel numbers. No big deal, as it is easy figure what is what.

These are the only negative items that I remember, and once I got it in the air they were quickly forgotten. I have been flying RC since 1976, and this is my first fan. It won't be my last! Mine flies just as well as the two in the videos.

If you have aileron stick time, and can manage a sporty prop job, you will have no trouble with this baby.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Keldsen, Randy

F5-E Tiger Swiss Ducted Fan
    When the F5-E Tiger Swiss ducted fan was first being advertised, I could not wait to get my hands on it. It had all the features I was looking for. These features include the bigger size, the retracts, and it’s over all sexy looks.

I fly off of a paved runway and the smaller edf’s that I had been flying up to this point were taking a beating landing in the ruff grass at our field. And of course it is suicide to land a foamy on the paved runway; it keeps getting lighter. So this bird was just what I was looking for.

The construction was straight forward. I was impressed with the fit of the wings and tail feathers in there slots. No problem there. The battery fit nicely in the battery tray. I connected the push rods to the included servos and was ready to hook up all of the servo leads to my receiver. There was a bit of a challenge here as there were many leads and it took some trial and error to get them in the correct port. But hay, I’ve been doing this for many years now and for me, the radio installation is part of the fun of the hobby. I’d like to point out one more observation I noticed; being that I got one of the early modules, because I could not wait, my version only has one servo operating the duel elevators. The elevator never quite makes it back to neutral with this set up. After flying it though, I have to admit that this is not much of a problem.

Speaking of flying, the F5 got lots of looks from the guys as I taxied here down the runway for the first time. She got up in the air very quickly and took very little trim to get her flying smoothly. There was a nice murmur from the onlookers as the gear went up just after take off. I put her through her paces; she rolls, loops climes and recovers nicely from a stall. Time goes by fast when you’re having fun, so I dropped the gear down and made my landing approach. I found that I needed to carry some power as she wanted to slow down very quickly. With a little power on I set here down very softly on the runway and she came to a complete stop in only 20 feet or so.

Overall this F5 is a quick and easy build, and she is a dream to fly. I have some 25 to 30 flights on her now and we’re still going strong. I would recommend her to anyone with the skill set to fly a light, quick and agile EDF.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Munoz, Luis

crash sale swiss tiger
    This jet is just as the HL descriptions say, not to fast and not to slow. The really only draw back is one of my reversed servos, the red ones is weak and must be replaced. No matter how much adjusting I do it allows the one retract to collapse if I turn with it. The jet is beautiful in the air, and actually is quick. I think it is quite hard to stall, as on the maiden I was able to slow to a crawl before setting down. I will call HL after the holiday and see if they will replace the one red servo. The cool factor is definitely there with the retracts, and it gets a lot of attention because of its size. One tip I can pass along is to get some colored electrical tape at the hardware store and cover the tips of wings and elevator. Then there will be no damage to them on landing gear collapse. I have to give 4 stars because of the servo, but its a six star jet really.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by mauch, tom