At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: F4D-1 SKYRAY ARF Reviews

F4D-1 SKYRAY ARF Reviews

F4D-1 Skyray ARF R/C Jet
    I got this airplane a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I have had other EDF in the past, this is by far the easiest to fly, lands beautiful and requires no adjustments on the CG or otherwise. Good quality and nice finish. Great trainer if you haven't flown EDF's before. Needs up trim on the elevators, so you have to watch out for that first take-off. Flight trim is not very different from take-off trim. I did add an elastic band to hold the canopy. My only negative comments, 1) nose cone is fragile, should have included at least one spare, 2) just too darn easy to fly.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Mike 1

Re: F4D-1 SKYRAY ARF Reviews

Love this plane
    This is a really nice electric jet. The parts fit well and the finished product is a show stopper. Mine seemed a little nose heavy and I had to raise the elevons a couple of turns from level. After that it flew beautiful. Landings are a dream with touch downs on the mains with the nose gear following. I wish it came with a larger battery. The 1300 mah is only good for about 2 1/2 minutes. But it is a good 2 1/2 minutes. Get this kit. You will not regret it.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Carrington, Lowell

Flies Great
    I got the airframe version but put in the same electronics that the RTF has. Flies really well. Slightly hard to keep track of due to paint scheme like full size aircraft. The one problem is the idiot who made the landing gears didn't make the front one high enough for AOA when sitting on the ground and the wire is too stiff to absorb any load on landing. If you have a hard landing the gears rip out of the wing because they don't flex at all. Landing speed is insanely low, has good control in all attitudes due to delta configuration.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Harvey, Toby

F4 D-1
    A very nice flying airplane. The EDF system is quite adequate, provided you're not out to break the sound barrier. I decided to use wheels that were all the same size. This raised the nose up, making the rotation for take offs less abrupt. Take off speed was much higher than flying speed. Also I fabricated a nose cone out of stiff rubber foam. Yes, up trim is required. I also moved the C.G. back about 7mm. Probably the most relaxed EDF flying I have experienced.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Forbes, Ken

Awesome 1st EDF jet!
    I too bought the airframe-only (as I already had some servos on hand for it). Beautiful airplane, right out of the box! Very easy to assemble the components (wings, nosecone and vertical tail fin must be epoxied to the main body; excellent parts fit!). Makes a very attractive model. Maiden flight held no surprises, flies like it's on silk or something... very smooth handling airplane!

There are only 2 areas where I think it could stand improving on:
    1) The nosecone is very fragile (it's hollow plastic) and mine got dented in even before the 1st flight (plane slipped off the seat in my truck and into the floorboard, mashing the nose in). The factory needs to include some kind of expanding foam to put in the nose after customer assembly to fill and reinforce that void area!
    2) This airframe desperately needs to have functioning retracts.... who wants to fly a hot looking delta winged jet around with the gear hanging down? A set of small servoless rotating-mains retracts needs to at least be an upgrade option on this airframe.

With those 2 fixes, this would be a really hot selling airplane! It handles so very well, especially for a 1st EDF jet model, and has killer looks in flight and on the ground.

ps. I do not recommend trying to remove the gear and hand-launch this model. I tried several times and the only successful hand launch I managed was into a 12mph headwind; every dead-calm-air hand-launch struck the ground before the plane could get enough airspeed up to fly. I put the fixed landing gear back on it.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Shrader, Michael

F4 D-1
    A very nice airplane. I raised the nose a bit regarding the landing gear. But it's the easiest EDF jet I've seen so far.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Forbes, Ken