At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/A18 BLUE ANGELS ARF Reviews

F/A18 BLUE ANGELS ARF Reviews

When choosing the decal number for the plane, it was my desire to use the #4, the "Slot" pilot. In soaking the decals and trying to get them on, I tore one of the number 4's so I could not use that. Next in line for numbers for me was #3. I soaked one of the decals, and got it on. I soaked the second #3 decal, and in trying to get it on, I tore it also. With just one number on one side, I was a bit befuddled, but after 30 seconds of head scratching, I realized I could trim and use the number 6 as a number 3! I am skilled at applying decals, but putting them on foam requires a very wet surface for best results. I was lucky that I could make a second number from the decal material. Be careful with those decals!

At the first flying field I took it to, the pavement seemed to play havoc with the dual front nosewheels. Since the plane is so light, if there is any turn, or surface irregularity the tires seem to work against each other and cause a bit of a tracking wobble. I started to do a take off roll, felt the wobble, but pushed through it and went airborne.

With a couple of spacers, going with a single nosewheel was a large improvement in ground handling. The size of the tires that were supplied with the kit, put the plane at a slight nose high attitude when sitting on the pavement. On my second take off roll, the jet tracked like it was on a rail.

On the first flying day, I dialed in my expo and end point adjustments to my liking, and had a flawless maiden. One click aileron, and no elevator trim needed for straight and level flight at 70% throttle. Very nice I thought. A couple of loops, an inverted flyby, and a high alpha pass. I set my timer to 5 minutes, and was at about 4:30 on the first flight so I headed for the end of the runway to land. First landing must have been fast as it looked great, flared nice, but bounced three high bounces on landing. Once stopped, I had no juice to taxi back! The controller had reached the cutout for the battery as I landed! I reset my timer to 4 minutes, and figured I'd relax on the wide open throttle a bit more during flight. 2 more flights that day, both flawless in the air, but the same bouncy landings.

Back at my shop, I changed the single nosewheel for a smaller diameter wheel that I had available, as well as a more military looking main set. It looked better, and let the planes nose sit more level with the surface.

The next flying day I was at my club with a dirt runway. I was expecting to use 75% of the field to get airborne, but to my surprise, even with the smaller wheel up front, it tracked perfect, steered nicely, and got airborne in about 40 feet. Three great flights that day,with the flights having much more aggressive flights than the first day. Multi-rolls, inverted to outside loop, typical 'turn and burn' stuff, but the biggest change was nicer landings. No more bounce as the nose is allowed to sit down when you put it on the wheel, it stays down. That made me truly love the plane. Landings that are as impressive as the flights. Very appealing. Comments from the other club members were how smooth it flew, how well it responded, and the nice vertical performance. I concur. I let another member get a flight in with it and he promptly placed an order.

I have my expo at

35% Ailerons
    30% Elevator
    40% Nosewheel

At those settings for me, the F/A 18 is a real winner and one of my favorite EDF's. If you are considering this plane, be sure to buy more than one battery pack as you will want to fly it much more than one pack will let you.

Pros:
    Landing gear optional (many other EDF's have none)
    Ease of build
    Great looks in the air
    Flight performance

Cons:
    Thin decals are difficult to work with
    Flight time really is 4 minutes if you want to be safe and bring it home.
    Wheels should be changed

Near misses:
    Could use pilot figure
    Control horns & plastic hardware could match color better
    Skip the 'bombs' that come with it. They look very odd and just do not belong on it.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by B, Jim

Re: F/A18 BLUE ANGELS ARF Reviews

JUST LOVE IT
    I wish there was a way to put pictures in here. I have the F-18 Blue angel ARF. It has never given me a bit of trouble other than the fake rockets on the wing tips being broke off by me. It flys great ,takes off of grass or hard surface. Once you apply the decals it comes to life. Just sitting there it looks fast. I am not getting into all kinds of setups. Just take your time and follow the instruction manual. It works just fine. This is supposed to be about FUN and that is what we have here in a VERY affordable great looking and great flying little jet. I would also suggest two or more batteries cause ya just wanna keep flying her. If you fly at a park people and kids just LOVE it and want you to fly it over and over. So buy some extra batteries from HLI.
    Thaks HLI for maxing out my credit card again.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Rieco, David

F-18 ARF JPG 010B
    This is the second of this type. I was so impressed with the RTF Phantom that I bought the F-18. This is a great plane for the money. It flies very well. I was very impressed that it will take off from our grass field, although it takes a bit of runway to get up flying speed. I just wanted to see if it would do it. Hand launching is very easy, and does not require full throttle to launch. I bought this plane then put in my Futaba receiver. Having exponential is a big help. I'm very satisfied with this plane, as well as the Phantom.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Ryman, Randy

blue angel
    this airplane is so awesome because its a blue angel
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by noel, tavaris

Very Nice Plane!
    Very nice plane! Very Fast too! I highly recommend that initial flights be done with the servo connectors all at their farthest throw points to avoid having too much over compensation when you make adjustments to the flight controls. The instructions are a little hard to read, but come fairly well illustrated, and Hobby-Lobby's support is great if you do get stuck at any point!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Hoppes, Matt

Great 1st EDF
    I've flown mine 100 times, all great flights. Sold it to a new flyer and he has not problem with it either. Very light, glides well, and lands very easily. Foam is fairly tough, 1300 battery could use more C in it for a bit more power but it will do all the regular stuff. Loop Roll easy take-off and looks good in the air
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Nye, Jeff

Favorite Aircraft.
    This is my favorite airplane to fly. It looks amazing in the air and has great flight characteristics. There's nothing like doing flyby's with a Blue Angel.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Groden, Mark

the decals, and got it on. I soaked the second #3 decal, and in trying to get it on, I tore it also. With just one number on one side, I was a bit befuddled, but after 30 seconds of head scratching, I realised I could trim and use the number 6 as a number 3! I am skilled at applying decals, but putting them on foam requires a very wet surface for best results. I was lucky that I could make a second number from the decal material. Be careful with those decals!

At the first flying field I took it to, the pavement seemed to play havoc with the dual front nosewheels. Since the plane is so light, if there is any turn, or surface irregualarity the tires seem to work against each other and cause a bit of a tracking wobble. I started to do a take off roll, felt the wobble, but pushed through it and went airborne.

With a couple of spacers, going with a single nosewheel was a large improvement in ground handling. The size of the tires that were supplied with the kit, put the plane at a slight nose high attitude when sitting on the pavement. On my second take off roll, with the single nose wheel, the jet tracked like it was on a rail.

On the first flying day, I dialed in my expo and end point adjustments to my liking, and had a flawless maiden. One click aileron, and no elevator trim needed for straight and level flight at 70% throttle. Very nice I thought. A couple of loops, an inverted flyby, and a high alpha pass. I set my timer to 5 minutes, and was at about 4:30 on the first flight so I headed for the end of the runway to land. First landing must have been fast as it looked great, flared nice, but bounced three high bounces on landing. Once stopped, I had no juice to taxi back! The controller had reached the cutout for the battery as I landed! I reset my timer to 4 minutes, and figured I'd relax on the wide open throttle a bit more during flight. 2 more flights that day, both flawless in the air, but the same bouncy landings.

Back at my shop, I changed the single nosewheel for a smaller diameter wheel that I had available, as well as a more military looking main set of a slightly reduced size. It looked better, and let the planes nose sit more level with the surface.

The next flying day I was at my club with a dirt runway. I was expecting to use 75% of the field to get airborne, but to my surprise, even with the smaller wheel up front, it tracked perfect, steered nicely, and got airborne in about 40 feet. Three great flights that day,with the flights having much more aggressive flights than the first day. Multi-rolls, inverted to outside loop, typical 'turn and burn' stuff, but the biggest change was nicer landings. No more bounce as the nose is allowed to sit down when you put it on the wheel, it stays down. That made me truly love the plane. Landings that are as impressive as the flights. Very appealing. Comments from the other club members were how smooth it flew, how well it responded, and the nice vertical performance. I concur. I let another member get a flight in with it and he promptly placed an order.

If you are considering this plane, be sure to buy some extra battery packs. You will want to fly this plane much more than one pack can give you in a day.

I have my expo at

35% Ailerons
    30% Elevator
    40% Nosewheel

At those settings for me, the F/A 18 is a real winner and one of my favorite EDF's.

Pros:
    Flight performance
    Landing gear optional (many other EDF's have none)
    Ease of build
    Great looks in the air and on the ground

Cons:
    Thin decals are difficult to work with
    Flight time really is 4 minutes if you want to be safe and bring it home, 3 minutes if you fly hot.
    Wheels should be changed

Near misses:
    Could use pilot figure
    Control horms & plaastic hardware could match color better
    Skip the 'bombs' that come with it. They look very odd and just do not belong on it.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Jim

Wow i love this plane
    I totally loved this plane. Very capable and maneuverable, and the flight times are 15-20 minutes. I wrecked it flying inverted and expected millions of pieces, but there was no damage! I recommend this to anybody, beginner or expert, because it can be flown slow and stable, or it can be fast and aerobatic.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Fortney, Ryan

All time favorite - VERY easy to fly...
    I currently have nine (9) electric ducted fan planes and this is by far my favorite (my plane is decorated in the Red Viper paint scheme). This plane is extremely easy to fly and a joy to land. I am flying my plane with all stock components except that I use my Spektrum DX7 radio and AR6100e receiver. The included battery is adequate but I prefer to fly this plane on Zippy 3S 1450 30/40 C batteries and this plane REALLY comes to life. I am guessing you get close to another 10mph speed. The nice thing about this plane is that if you choose to upgrade the power plant it is a piece of cake - just remove two screws and the entire fan unit comes out. I do recommend that you remove the fan rotor and balance it before you fly... I did this after a few flights and noticed a big difference in noise (much quieter) with a slight increase in power. I also recommend that you cut out the "M" shaped cheater holes on top of the fuselage. I hope you all enjoy this plane as much as I do.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Johnson, Keith