At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-10 WARTHOG ARF Reviews

A-10 WARTHOG ARF Reviews

N/AW Demonstrator
    Initially the value attracted me to this kit (included speed controls, battery, and servos) but also the unique aeronautical subject chosen for the model. While there have been dozens of A-10 kits on the market for some time, this one had some odd features. Some might mistakenly think that it is a poor copy of a warthog. Close inspection reveals that this is the first R/C model of the two-seat prototype night/all-weather demonstrator made by Fairchild in 1979. Wow! The kit actually has the taller rudders and correct canopy associated with the one-and-only aircraft in existence (which the air-force did not adopt for production). Generally, the quality and scale lines are very good and can result in an exceptionally nice, better-than-average foam jet, especially if you take the time to create foam weapon stations, gear doors, antennae, and various other drag-prone A-10 accoutrements. It has the G/AU-8 avenger cannon too. Decals are high quality and cannot seem to be removed but if you are a purist, the paint scheme has to go; the real N/AW bird is all flat gunship gray (NO SHARK TEETH!!!) and can be airbrushed over quite easily. I also removed the external elevator pushrods which tend to ruin the model’s lines; consider running a rod inside the fuselage and then conceal custom elevator linkage in the tail cone. I’m still waiting to get a receiver and finish the radio set up. I can’t wait for the maiden flight. I suspect based on the Hobby Lobby video that the fans have power to spare, which should allow for the extra scale detail’s drag. In conclusion, I enjoyed completing this model of a historically obscure aircraft. This A-10 variant should definitely impress your friends at the field. If it doesn’t, then you need new friends.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Ziegler, Herb

Re: A-10 WARTHOG ARF Reviews

Gets Your Blood Pumping!
    I was brand new to this hobby about one month ago with no flight experience prior. One month later I'm addicted to this stuff and the A-10 is a fantastic machine.

A little history: I purchased several airplanes at once which included the P51D RTF and Spitfire RTF plus this A-10 ARF from Hobby-Lobby. The staff were very helpful on the phone and I really appreciate that they answer the phone quickly when calling to check on order status, etc. The good prices and phone accessibility really locked me onto buying from them.

After a few crashes in the P51D I decided that the RealFlight simulator was necessary to get practice.
    I practiced with the simulator for several weeks and got back to flying the ducked tape P51D and slowly got the hang of this war bird. Then I transitioned into the Spitfire and despite being a challenge to fly compared to the P51D I also got the hang of this one too without any crashes.

I was nervous about flying the A-10, since this was my first RC Jet however I decided to give it a shot this weekend. WOW, the war birds were fun to fly but this A-10 jet really impressed me. I was a bit worried at first since there were no reviews of this aircraft on here but I thought it looked like a quality piece, particularly by the video - seemed stable. My first two flights went off without a hitch matched with a DX7 controller. The speed is solid and really cooks along but is not hard to fly. This aircraft is really stable with all the wing surface area, yet a perfect size; easy to see in the sky and still small enough to fit into my car fully assembled.

The only thing that would be good to improve is the rear landing gear attachment. The design allows them to snap outward easily if you come down abruptly. I fixed this problem by gluing in some additional support pieces made from scratch.

The batteries run out of juice quickly at the end of each flight so you don't have much time to get it ready for landing but it's not really a problem. I'm not sure how it compares to other Jet RC planes so I can't compare.

A+ to hobby-lobby for this great value jet. It was enjoyable to construct and fly. I’m looking forward to another opportunity to fly this rocket soon.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Wilson, Joshua

Great looking A-10
    This was my first EDF...my 4-5th plane.

It goes together just fine, EXCEPT I personally found it rather hard to situate both ESCs in their little compartment...but afterI got them in...they're fine.

The A-10 is SLOW...for an EDF. But...to me, that makes it a PERFECT first EDF.

I personally don't like the stock servos and will be replacing them soon. They're VERY slow and laggy.

The supplied battery is fine...however it has been rather warm after every flight...so I'd like to know what C rating it is...and if it's low (15-20C)...I'd like to try a 30C and see if that helps with the temp and maybe a little more umph.

Take offs are nice, straight, and LONG. Same with landings...you''re going to need a fair bit of pavement or real short grass.

I really like this plane...again, a perfect first EDF, but in

Very nice!
    If this was strictly a 'flying' review I'd give it 5 stars. It is an absolute joy to fly.

Several minor problems with it;

The main landing gears are weak and the attaching brackets broke on the very first flight,,easily fixed. The tail section is very flimsy, extra care must be taken during ground handling and transport. The engine nacelles are weak and flex quite a bit,,,only time will tell how durable they are.

The aileron servos are extremely slow while flying in cold weather,,,it was about 24 degrees out and the ailerons 'lagged' badly. I put in a couple Hitec HS 65MGs and that solved that problem. The stock servos operated fine in warm weather.

I adjusted the flight control throws per the manual and it was a little docile. I extended the flight controls by moving the rods on the horns. That made the plane a lot quicker but I needed to add a little expo in the radio to make it managable.

The build was quite easy,,,well designed in that aspect.

With the minor improvements this is a VERY nice Warbird. It is quick, very stable and has plenty of power. I'm getting almost 8 minutes flight time on the 3S 2200 battery running at about 70% throttle. I have a lot of experience watching the real A-10 perform,,,, this bird acts exactly the same as the real plane on a scale level. Isn't that what we want? Yup,,,I say!!

OUTSTANDING!!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Bowler, Randy

This is a review on the spare parts listing.
    At the time I bought this plane,,HL did not have their itemized listing for parts. Now that I have seen the listing, I regret buying the plane. You can buy everything needed but some of the parts are WAY over priced. You can get the wing assemlies at a reasonable price,,,the fuselage too. But the verticle fins cost just about the same as the complete wing assembly. Same with the horizontal fin and elevator. The weakest parts on this plane is the verticle fins and the horizontal/elevators,,but they cost triple the price of comparable parts of other models.

Had I seen the parts listing first,,,I would not have bought this plane!

Randy
    I give this product 1 stars. Review by Bowler, Randy

A-10 EDF
    This is a pretty good little EDF plane. Build is EASY and brief. Most of the work, all the complicated part, has been done for the buyer. If you can put tab "A" in slot "B" you can build this plane. I expected the included battery to be inferior but it out performed several of my other 3S's. The steerable nose wheel is installed at the factory. It is firmly buried in the fuse. If you are thinking of taking the landing gear off and belly landing, it can be done but the best you can do with the nose gear is to cut it off. This plane's landing gear needs a smooth, hard surface for take offs and landings. On a rough and/or grassy surface the plane bounces about becoming uncontrollable. Your 3S battery will need to be at the very least a 20C. Larger "C" would help. Flight times are fairly brief. The twin motors suck up the electrons. If this is to a 1st EDF purchase, it would be good to have an experienced EDF flyer take it around the patch for the maiden. This plane is NOT a floater. Keep its speed up. Carry power to touch down.

I give this product 4 stars. Review by Baker, Glenn

Nice
    Had a Banana Hobby a-10 and it was a piece of crap! Bought this and wow what a difference. This flies great. Not getting 6 min flights and wish it had more power but it works for me.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Garcia, B

A-10 HCH108B
    The model design relative to fit and finish are excellent. It LOOKS great! Mechanically, it needs some help.
    While the wing is held on to the fuselage with some large bolts; throughout the model, the remaining attaching points are seriously deficient. The tail pieces are held together and to the fuselage with screws that only have 2-3 threads engaged in plastic. The screws holding the vertical tail pieces to the horizontal stabilizer bind in the fitting and pull the plastic attaching point loose from the stabilizer. Luckily, the foam this model is constructed of, although too soft, is compatible with foam safe CA. The tail is the weakest assembly on the model and the replacement parts are price prohibitive.
    The landing gear is worse. I had to drill and tap the landing gear strap screw holes to accept 6-32 screws (3.5mm might have been just as good, 3mm was too small). Again, I reinforced the gear attaching points with CA to keep them in the wings.
    The small metal tab that fits into the front of the canopy is held on with a single screw that is not secure in the mounting point. The two tiny screws that held the mating strap to the canopy were both stripped and the strap fell off when I lifted the canopy from the fuselage. I tapped the strap and installed 2-56 screws that work quite well. The tab on the fuselage remains the weak point. It needs redesign.
    The battery cable that runs from the ESCs to the front battery compartment is about 2 inches too short.
    The nose gear could turn another 5-10 degrees and be more acceptable.
    If you want better ratings, put some replacement parts in the kit while you are beefing up the attaching points.
    This model is a great flyer and something anyone would be proud to own and fly (until the tail falls off or the landing gear collapses on landing). Jim Carpenter AMA391701, 915-833-8908 El Paso
    I give this product 2 stars. Review by Carpenter, Jim

Desent Plane
    Jim is right on with his comments. The plane looks great when put together. Paint could be better. Overspray on servos and missing paint in areas. Screws could be longer and the tail is a weak point. I epoxied everything and it helped. Don't use the supplied epoxy, it is crap. Buy a quality epoxy. Had one servo that was shorting out but it was a quick fix. Would be nice if the nose gear turned farther. I just adjusted my radio to 150% to help. My ESC wires where fine, long enough but I was missing the battery strap. Made my own. The 2200mah battery that comes with the plane is very good. Really no major issues and just the normal things you get from a China product, (lack of quality control). Plane flys great and looks great. Would buy again.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Legacy, Loran

A-10
    WELL I WAITED FOR AWHILE BEFORE BUYING THIS PLANE BECAUSE OF THE REVEIWS AND HAVE BEEN FLYING MY EXECUTVE JET AND DECIDED TO BUY THE A-10 A FEW WEEKS AGO.I DID A LOT OF EXTRA WORK TO IT. FIRST I ADDED EXTRA 30 MINUTE EPOXY TO ALL AREAS THAT I COULD GET TO INSIDE THE FUSALGE, I RE-ENFORCED THE LANDING GEAR AS THAT WAS A WEAK AREA,I ADDED AN EXTENTION TO THE ESC,I EPOXIED THE TAIL AND STABULIZER AS WELL AS ADDING CARBON FIBER SUPPORTS AND BRACES TO THE TAIL TO HORIZONTAL STAB AND FROM THERE TO THE FUSALAGE SO EVERYTHING IS RIGID.I DID TACK THE WING ON A LITTLE WITH EPOXY BUT IT DID SEEM OK AS WELL AS THE MOTOR UNIT WITHOUT RE-ENFORCEMENT.SO WITH THAT SAID AND AFTER SIX 4 MINUTE FLIGHTS THIS IS MY REVIEW AND I LOVE THIS PLANE. I USUALLY GO OVER AND EPOXY NEW PLANES AND SEE WHAT COULD BE MADE STRONGER BEFORE I ASSEMBLE THEM SO THIS PLANE WAS NOT OUT OF THE NORM FOR ME.ITS THE BEST FLYING A-10 I HAVE AND I DO HAVE 2 OTHERS FROM OTHER DESIGNERS AND THIS IS THE BEST. ONE OTHER THING IS THAT I CUT THE ELEVATOR THROW WAY DOWN BECAUSE OF THE WASH FROM THE FANS.IT WAS MAKING THE PLANE PORPOISE ON LANDING APROACH. AFTER TAKE OFF I FLY ON A HIGHER RATE THAN LOWER IT FOR THE LANDING AND ITS FINE. THIS IS A NICE PLANE.I RATED IT A 4 BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA PREP WORK.MANY THANKS TO MY SALESMAN DAVID FOR TELLING ME I WOULD LOVE THIS PLANE,BUT HE DID'NT FORCE OR PRESSURE ME AND THATS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HOBBY LOBBY. THEY LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER AND WORK WITH THEM.KENNY,CAPE COD,MA.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by DUTRA, KENNETH