At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: 3 Blade Prop 2-1/2x10 Reviews

3 Blade Prop 2-1/2x10 Reviews

Modifications Needed
    Looks great, but is not variable. I posted on HL info page and was told I had to cut the tabs off for the prop to be variable. IMHO, I should not have to cut or modify the prop to make it meet advertised capabilities. I am sending the two I bought back and a bit disappointed. I did really like the look though. Maybe it is just good for static display.
    I give this product 1 stars. Review by blacker, william

Re: 3 Blade Prop 2-1/2x10 Reviews

Avoid adjusting the pitch
    I purchased a pair of these 9.5 inch dia adjustable pitch props.

Hobby Lobby says:
    * NOTE - These props are for Electric Parkflyer Aircraft ONLY! They are NOT for use with glow engines or extremely powerful electric motors!
    But with no definition of "extremely powerful"

Email contact with thier support staff came up with a recommendation for 500 watts maximum for any of the assorted 3 and 4 blade adjustable pitch props. (9.5 and 11 inch dia)

After examination of the hubs... I wouldn't push them much past 300 watts. they are a plastic similar to that used for a typical non-flying scale plastic model kit. The prop blade plastic won't be any stronger than the material used in a GWS orange Slow Flyer prop.

I also advise avoiding changing from the default pitch. Once you shave off the "key" from the individual blade hub end you have no way to lock in the pitch and are at the mercy of the friction fit when you screw the hub together. There's no indexing splines to aid in getting the same pitch on all blades.

The included pitch guage can work... but it will take some practice using it. You must use the same distance from the blade tip when making comparisons adjusting the multiple blades to the same pitch.

Note that the advertised default pitch is 10 inches.
    There is a 10 inch reference line on the pitch guage.
    The measured pitch assembling the prop with the default setting is 7 inches. I checked at 5 locations between hub and tip and all were the same.

The scale appearance is VERY good. But there were no decals to put on the blades in either package.

The hub is VERY THICK and will have problems mounting on some motors if you don't buy the shaft adapter. The "optional" adapter is also needed to be able to affix the "cap" on the hub center.

I want to put my props on a pair of Dynam 22 series motors using the prop adapter that bolts to the outrunner's "shell" rather than connecting to the motor shaft.

The Dynam adapter is JUST too short to go through the adjustable pitch prop hub. I will also need to drill and tap it for a screw to retain the center cap.

The Dynam prop adapter worked fine with a Master Airscrew 9X7 3-blade.

IIRC, I was right at 150 watts per motor with the MA props, 12 to 13 amps on 3SLiPo... its been a while. I don't expect to be pulling much if any more than 200 watts (max rated for the motor is 250)

I needed a bit more pitch to get reasonable margin between minimum speed to maintain altitude and maximum level flight speed. and the adjustable pitch props will enhance my DC-3's appearance. The 9.5 inch dia is the maximum I can use on the model.
    I give this product 3 stars. Review by Huber, Frederick

Good... not perfect
    (also posted on RCGRoups.com)
    Hobby Lobby says:

Quote:

* NOTE - These props are for Electric Parkflyer Aircraft ONLY! They are NOT for use with glow engines or extremely powerful electric motors!

Email contact with thier support staff came up with a recommendation for 500 watts maximum for any of the assorted 3 and 4 blade adjustable pitch props. (9.5 and 11 inch dia)

After examination of the hubs... I wouldn't push them much past 300 watts. they are a plastic similar to that used for a typical non-flying scale plastic model kit. The prop blade plastic won't be any stronger than the material used in a GWS orange Slow Flyer prop.

I also advise avoiding changing from the default pitch. Once you shave off the "key" from the individual blade hub end you have no way to lock in the pitch and are at the mercy of the friction fit when you screw the hub together. There's no indexing splines to aid in getting the same pitch on all blades.

The included pitch guage can work... but it will take some practice using it. You must use the same distance from the blade tip when making comparisons adjusting the multiple blades to the same pitch.
    The measured pitch assembling the prop with the default setting is 7 inches. I checked at 5 locations between hub and tip and all were the same.

The scale appearance is VERY good.

The hub is VERY THICK and will have problems mounting on some motors if you don't buy the shaft adapter. The "optional" adapter is also needed to be able to affix the "cap" on the hub center.

I want to put my props on a pair of Dynam 22 series motors using the prop adapter that bolts to the outrunner's "shell" rather than connecting to the motor shaft.
    The Dynam adapter is JUST too short to go through the adjustable pitch prop hub. I will also need to drill and tap it for a screw to retain the center cap.

The Dynam prop adapter worked fine with a Master Airscrew 9X7 3-blade.
    (IIRC, I was right at 150 watts per motor with the MA props, 12 to 13 amps on 3SLiPo... its been a while)

I needed a bit more pitch to get reasonable margin between minimum speed to maintain altitude and maximum level flight speed. and the adjustable pitch props will enhance my DC-3's appearance. The 9.5 inch dia is the maximum I can use on the model.

Decent but not ideal
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073715
    for more complete review

Hobby Lobby says:

Quote:

Email contact with their support staff came up with a recommendation for 500 watts maximum for any of the assorted 3 and 4 blade adjustable pitch props. (9.5 and 11 inch dia)

The scale appearance is VERY good. But there were no deacls to put on the blades in the package...

Decent but not ideal
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073715
    for more complete review

Hobby Lobby says:

Quote:

Email contact with their support staff came up with a recommendation for 500 watts maximum for any of the assorted 3 and 4 blade adjustable pitch props. (9.5 and 11 inch dia)

The included pitch gauge can work... but it will take some practice using it. You must use the same distance from the blade tip when making comparisons adjusting the multiple blades to the same pitch.
    There is a 10 inch reference line on the pitch gauge.

The scale appearance is VERY good. But there were no decals to put on the blades in the package...

Scale Props
    I have the 4-blade on my P47 and these 3-blade hubs on my SBD Dauntless. These are the best looking props on the market and the included decals just make them pop. Word of caution, you have to seal the water-slide decals with clearcoat if you want them to last.

Props are best left at stock pitch. Sawing off the lugs is a nuisance and the pitch gauge is a real PITA to use. This is the only reason I don't give them 5 stars. I have started switching to lower kV motors so I don't have to change pitch.

Power is good, props are surprisingly durable and perform well on scale models. Wish they made some bigger ones. Did I mention how good they look?
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Spring, Jeffrey

Display only
    Very nice looking propellers.

Main issue is there is no REAL rating for how high an RPM these are safe. Thats chopping the rating from Excellent to... mediocre.

The blade design is appropriate for use at high rpm and is ineffecient for use on a typical "Park Flyer"
    That essentially makes the prop only useful for display until we get a REAL rating of what RPM they can withstand.

I bought 2 (a couple of years ago) intending to use them on a Polks Hobbies DC3. (comes with speed 600 brushed motors... which I replaced with brushless) but I still have no idea if the props can handle the power and have never gotten a meaningful answer to :

What is safe max rpm? (the only way to KNOW you aren't spinning a prop too fast is to have a NUMBER and use a tachometer)