At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: **TOP** YAK-55 3D PROFILE, BLUE/BL Reviews

**TOP** YAK-55 3D PROFILE, BLUE/BL Reviews

Best 3D plane to learn with
    I can't begin to say enough great things about this plane! I was wanting to learn 3D, but didn't want to start with a heavier, more expensive model. So I decided to pick up one of these from Hobby Lobby at their remarkably low price, and have been happier with it than I ever expected. I've probably sold 20 or more friends on picking up this exact same plane as their intro to 3D flying, and haven't heard a negative word back from ANY of them about it.

Assembly was very simple (used Gorilla Glue to put mine together, and it worked great)--I had the airframe completed within a couple hours, and most of that time was spend waiting for the glue to set at each stage of assembly.

For a power system, I went with a Turnigy 2830 brushless outrunner spinning a 1047SF prop, a cheapie 30A brushless ESC that I already had laying around, and a 900mah 15C 2S lipo (the 2S will do straight up vertical while still flying slow when I want it to, but I can throw in a 1300mah 3S with a smaller 8x4 prop for some crazy speed and power). Add in a cheap, GWS-style 72mhz micro receiver and 3 9g servos, and a prop-saver, and you can have this amazing little plane flitting around in the air for a very low cost.

It handles like a dream--perfect snap rolls, easy hovers and harriers, flies inverted as well as it does upright, and it will loop inside of 6 feet. But be ready and alert the first time you fly this thing if you're new to 3D--the large control surface will yank this thing around like crazy if you push the control stick to the edges, and it may well surprise you if you're not expecting it. I'd recommend using some extra EXPO on your radio first starting out, at least until you get used to how responsive the controls are.

As for negatives, I couldn't really come up with anything. I mean, if I -have- to say something that might be considered a negative, then maybe I can say that the depron foam on the nose will crumple pretty easy if you nose it STRAIGHT IN. But in all honesty, that's really a positive, and it's far better to crumple the foam (which glues quickly and easily back together with foam safe thick CA and kicker--crunched mine on the nose once and had it back in the air flying good as new inside of 15 minutes) than to have it bend a motor shaft or knock a magnet loose in the bell.

5 stars, no hesitation. A fantastically fun little plane.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Williams, Matt

Re: **TOP** YAK-55 3D PROFILE, BLUE/BL Reviews

Price is Right
    Great airplane for the price, handles well and preforms all basic acrobatic maneuvers.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Groden, Mark

Yak Taught Me 3D
    Heck Yeah! I never thought that I would be flying 3D... this plane opened up a whole new world of flying for me. It is amazing how much I have learned since I bought it. I have flown similar 3D planes with little luck, but the Yak is so light that it stays in the air long enough for me to make the corrections necessary to avoid a crash. When I was looking for a 3D plane, I watched tons of videos and the Yak looked light, durable, and maneuverable... The videos didn't lie. I fly mine with a "blue wonder" motor, 8x4 prop, and Rhino 460 3 cell lipo. I get 8 - 10 minutes of flight while running it pretty hard. The plane is just so light. I have slammed it into the ground several times, and when it has broken, I simply used a dab of CA and a little clear tape and had the plane back in the air within 3 minutes.
    Great Plane!!! Buy one :-)
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Horn, Tyson

Yak-55 rocks!
    The Hobby-Lobby Yak-55 is hard to beat when it comes to 3D value! This little plane is a great little 3D machine that is perfect for beginners to learn on. If it is built light, the pilot will be rewarded with a plane that floats thru the 3D maneuvers with ease. Since the price is so low, it will make you take more risks and fly lower because you know you won't go broke fixing it or replacing the entire airframe.

I set my Yak-55 up with an Axi 2204/54, Castle Phoenix 10, and Polyquest 400mA 3cell. It was nice and light and flew great with that power system.

The blue/black Yak-55 looks great, but the other colors are just as cool.

If you are wanting to learn 3D, get a Yak-55 or two and beat it up learning. By the time you need another airframe, you'll be pulling off such cool tricks, you won't believe it.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Grose, Andy

Great for a beginner
    This plane is great for a beginner looking to get into 3D. Easy to put together, with all parts pre-cut for you, it's a real time saver to build and doesn't have a "scare" factor for the newbie who's never put together a plane before. Light-weight but durable, it's excellent for slow-flying to get used to the reactiveness when your beginners nerves are kicking in, yet acrobatic and responsive to let you ease into simple 3D moves as you gain confidence, and then go all out as your skills build. The great color scheme makes it easy for your eye to pick up while flying and of course it looks great which will impress anyone watching. But the affordability factor makes the biggest impact... in case of the unlucky event that you and your planes does with the ground. Very inexpensive to replace in the event of a very bad crash, yet readily fixable with a little CA glue in the event of minor damage. Simply a great buy all around!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Cella, Robert

5 stars for price alone!
    This plane is great to learn 3D with, not because it's particularly tough, but because it is so cheap! Use a prop saver to protect the motor shaft and just fly it! If it crashes, glue it back together and fly it some more! If it crashes real bad, buy another. I've had a lot of fun with mine and have learned a lot of manuevers that I would be afraid to try with my more expensive planes.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Payne, Doug

Yak 55 Review
    I really like this little kit. I currently have two of them in different colors. It is easy to build and flies great. I really like the hardware kit that comes with this plane. I wish Hobby Lobby would sell the hardware kit separately, I would use them on all of my park flyers and small aircraft.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Klehn, David

My Favorite Plane
    I've had more fun with this plane than any other I've owned. It doesn't fly like a cheap foamy. Has very neutral flight characteristics. Hobby-Lobby, please bring this one back!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Johnson, Chris

Yak-55 Profile
    This is without a question the easiest build of the foamies I've had! Everything fits perfectly and the build goes fast. The plane has as minimal parts as possible and the manual is full of color photos and well explained. Since I had an AXI 2208-34, Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC, Thunder Power 1320 mAh lipo and some hitec HS-55 servos, finishing the airplane was no problem.
    The only down side to this airplane is the that it doesn't have a landing gear and if you happen to land too hard it will start deforming or breaking the front underside of the fuse. However, I've found the material on this plane a little better than other foamies too, it is not too brittle and it´s not too soft.
    In flight the airplane is very stable, you can fly it fast or slow, the controls always respond instantly. In order to have a little more rudder control I shaved away about 2 millimeters of elevator right where the ruder touches them. Needless to say, I hovered the plane with almost no need to use the rudder, it is an incredible feeling!!! The ailerons have a lot of authority to counteract the torque or to stop a torque roll and the airplane in general is very neutral with little or no coupling. That combined with the power I had installed and a little over 8 ounces of weight made for a very fun experience. The 55 just kept asking for more inputs.
    I would recommend this airplane for anyone at any skill level. The assembly is extremely easy and the flight characteristics adapt to who ever is flying it. It just doesn't get any better than this.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Giant Club GH-12115, John Canahuati

Worth the Money
    Great airplane for the price, handles well and preforms all basic acrobatic maneuvers.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Groden, Mark