At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: "WING DRAGON 4" RTF TRAINER Reviews

"WING DRAGON 4" RTF TRAINER Reviews

This is a great plane
    Stable and can take lots of beating. When using 3s Li-po we needed to re-balance it as it became tail drop.
    Out of the box comes two sets of rubber bands, I guess one more will be handy as a beginner, you will cut many of these while you first wing mount this beauty.
    Oh one more thing, with a little breath , it is a great glider.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by thabet , Mohamed

Re: "WING DRAGON 4" RTF TRAINER Reviews

Wing Dragon
    For beginners this it's a great four channel trainer, just make it fly by hand launch...
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Vasquez, Adolfo

Aileron Wing Dragon
    Great step up from the original Wing Dragon. I learned aileron flying with this aircraft and did so quickly. I would recommend.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Groden, Mark

Nosedive Delight!
    I am a true beginner when it comes to RC flight. The last thing I want to do is have some good natured friendly flight-instructor teach me about something I know little to nothing about. Everything worthwhile that I have ever learned has been gained through the school of hard knocks. That is why this plane is such a great first plane. I crash a lot. I drive out to an open field 15 miles out of Denver and let her rip. I can now fly this thing pretty darn well but this poor plane has smashed into the ground at least 10 to 15 times. I call it a hard landing. The fact that the propeller is safe behind a hard plastic body and has a metal tube to the tail section makes this trainer bullet-proof. Broken foam wings and tails glue together seamlessly. Tape, glue and a few screws keeps this plane in the sky without sending you to the poor house. I love my piece of junk Wing Dragon.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by PICCONE, PETER

The Wing Dragon 4 RT
    Peter Piccone is right! This plane is fantastic when it comes to basic flying. Pete and I have discovered that we have better luck hand-launching this plane as opposed to using wheels for taking off on the runway. For any beginner, I would recommend this plane because of it's simplicity, easy to control and so forth. When Pete and I head out east of Denver Colorado - i.e. some where out in the sticks, I remove the wheels and get ready to launch, he gives it full power, I launch it giving upward direction and the way it goes!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Weigel, Wolfgang

WD4 is good trainer but consider other planes too before you buy
    The Wing Dragon 4 is a nice flying plane out-of-the-box and is a good trainer that can take some abuse but may require purchasing some spare parts. Would recommend to anyone looking to step-up to aileron control that understands how to provide small, precise control movements.

Pros:
    1. The WD4 is nice flying plane that is stable in the air. Can practically land itself.
    2. The plane is maneuverable and capable of rolls but be sure there is plenty of power and altitude on your first attempt. Also, know how to fly with ailerons. The WD4 has significant range-of-motion with it's ailerons...perhaps more than is needed, which can make novices over steer very easily.
    3. Easy to make modifications to electronics and motor...so, there is room to grow into this plane as skills progress.

Cons:
    1. The cleveses are prone to breaking and spares are not easy to come by because they are proprietary size
    2. The plane could use reinforcement in the tail fin. A rough landing (even in slightly tall grass) can push on the tail fin and slice through the foam. Just requires some extra tape around the mount on the tailboom
    3. Flying time is okay with included battery. Shouldn't have to fly on full throttle but the plane will tend to glide down quickly when under powered.
    4. My first flight required signficant trimming and adjusting the clevis position. Always good to have someone who knows how to trim a plane properly before taking it up yourself.
    5. Can quickly out grow the plane...but can always make mod's that will improve performance!
    I give this product 3 stars. Review by King, Kyle

Wing Dragon 4
    This is a great trainer right out of the box. The only fault I found was that because of the motor size and small wheels it was difficult to take off on anything but a smooth surface. I only have dirt surfaces to take off on so I did some upgrades.
    As soon as I got a bit of experience there where several things that needed to be done to make it great...a brushless motor/ESC bringing it up to 200W really made it fun. I found that adding a carbon fiber rod across the wing helped overcome wing bend in turbulent air. Also, I put on larger wheels to work well on a dirt runway.
    Most of this is available on the Wing Dragon HL and I would recommend going to it right away.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Fowler, Richard

Great 4 channel trainer and more
    I purchased the Wing Dragon 4 as my very first RC plane over a year ago and proceeded to learn to fly it on my own at the local soccer field. Building the plane can be done in an hour and the instructions are easy to follow. The stock power setup is very nice and will get you in the air with authority. Flight characteristics are very gentle and the plane glides quite well, which comes in handy when you hit low voltage cutoff. I've dead-sticked my Wing Dragon 4 in on many occasions without any problems. The included 4 channel transmitter is no-frills but works well and has good range. One gripe is that there is only one channel to choose from. The Wing Dragon 4 is very forgiving and durable for the first time pilot due to the pusher motor configuration and the polypropylene fuselage (think heavy duty milk jug.) A full throttle nose in only resulted in a little crumpling and a chunk out of the wing from the prop. It was back in the air the next day. The pusher configuration makes it a good platform for aerial photography and video. Another small gripe: the landing gear is pretty weak and bends easily. The good news is that beefier Supercub gear is readily available and a perfect. Once you've mastered the stock setup, The Wing Dragon 4 is easy to upgrade to brushless power with lipo battery. The added power increases flight times and makes aerobatics easier to perform. Finally, don't be put off by the bright orange color. It really helps a new pilot to keep orientation and makes it very easy to see in the air at higher altitudes.

Overall, I highly recommend the Wing Dragon 4 as a trainer or as a fun plane that can be easily modified and upgraded to your liking.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Robinson, John

"Great 4 channel trainer and more
    I purchased the Wing Dragon 4 as my very first RC plane over a year ago and proceeded to learn to fly it on my own at the local soccer field. Building the plane can be done in an hour and the instructions are easy to follow. The stock power setup is very nice and will get you in the air with authority. Flight characteristics are very gentle and the plane glides quite well, which comes in handy when you hit low voltage cutoff. I've dead-sticked my Wing Dragon 4 in on many occasions without any problems. The included 4 channel transmitter is no-frills but works well and has good range. One gripe is that there is only one channel to choose from. The Wing Dragon 4 is very forgiving and durable for the first time pilot due to the pusher motor configuration and the polypropylene fuselage (think heavy duty milk jug.) A full throttle nose in only resulted in a little crumpling and a chunk out of the wing from the prop. It was back in the air the next day. The pusher configuration makes it a good platform for aerial photography and video. Another small gripe: the landing gear is pretty weak and bends easily. The good news is that beefier Supercub gear is readily available and a perfect. Once you've mastered the stock setup, The Wing Dragon 4 is easy to upgrade to brushless power with lipo battery. The added power increases flight times and makes aerobatics easier to perform. Finally, don't be put off by the bright orange color. It really helps a new pilot to keep orientation and makes it very easy to see in the air at higher altitudes.

Overall, I highly recommend the Wing Dragon 4 as a trainer or as a fun plane that can be easily modified and upgraded to your liking.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Robinson, John"
    "Back in the Hobby After 27 Years
    When I returned to R/C flying after a layoff of 27 years I found that much had changed. I joined a local flying club to ease my reentry to the hobby. I have considerable kit building and scratch building experience but I wanted to get back into the air quickly. Back in my day electrics were just becoming available. With a bewildering array of radios, motors and flight packs available I figured it would be easier for me to start with a complete system that I could use as a starting point for learning about all this new stuff that is on the market.

The articles about various models posted on the Sport Aviator web site (http://www.masportaviator.com/fh_ultralights.asp) proved invaluable for helping me decide what to buy. Considering my budget as a retired person, my desire to have a slow flying aircraft to allow my elderly reflexes to get back in shape, and wanting something simple and rugged, I settled on the Art Tech Wing Dragon 4. This is a complete electric powered outfit that includes the airplane, transmitter and receiver, pre-installed motor with ESC, a battery pack and chargers, and pre-installed servos.

While putting this RTF airplane together I set up the supplied wall charger to facilitate testing and adjusting the servos once I got to that stage. However, the assembly process did not go as well as I expected.

1. The instructions call for using the “supplied tape” to secure the two wing halves together. While the wing halves slipped together easily there was no tape supplied. I got out my roll of clear packaging tape to secure the wings to each other.

2. The tail surfaces and tail wheel installed easily. However, the rudder clevis was snapped off at the end of the push rod and the elevator clevis had a broken pin so it could not be attached to the control horn. I used the extra clevis supplied with the airplane to replace the rudder clevis but the pin broke on that one when I tried to attach it into the control horn. So, I drilled out both clevises at the pin location and formed cotter pins from soft iron wire that I had on hand to replace the broken pins. I could then attach the clevises to the control horns. These clevises are very brittle so I will probably replace them. The push rods are .047” wire so I bought a package of Dubro parts that would fit.

3. The landing gear slips into a slot in the fuselage but there was no way to secure it. There was not enough friction in the slot to keep the wire landing gear in place. I cut a piece of balsa to fill in the slot below the landing gear wire, then taped that in place to keep everything secure.

4. One wheel in the landing gear was stuck and did not roll freely. I had to fiddle with it to get the axle lined up where it belonged so the wheel would roll properly.

5. The battery pack (an 8 cell NiMH 1000 ma pack) would not charge. Two chargers were supplied with the Wing Dragon 4, a 9v wall charger and a charger that plugs into the cigar lighter/accessory jack in a car. Neither would charge the battery. After some thought I realized the 8 cell pack is a 9.6v pack so a 9v charger does not have the oomph to charge the battery pack. I am guessing that these chargers are the same as those included with a Wing Dragon 3 which use a 7 cell 8.4v pack. I went out and bought a peak charger that could handle an 8 cell pack and that worked well.

6. Next surprise: I discovered there is no on-off switch on the airplane. The transmitter must be turned on and the throttle stick must be in the off position before plugging in the battery to ensure that the motor does not start unexpectedly. The lack of an aircraft on-off switch could be a real safety problem.

7. The battery pack slips easily into a compartment in the nose of the airplane but there is nothing there to secure it. The battery fell right out when I held the airplane in a nose up position. I had to fiddle with the cockpit cover to get it to hold the battery in place.

8. Next surprise: There is nothing on the airplane or in the instruction sheet to indicate where the balance point should be. My airplane balanced at about the main wing spar that aligns the two wing halves. That is about the one-third point on the wing chord which I figured was about right.

9. When I went to put everything on a storage shelf for the evening I dropped the wing. A chunk of wing tip broke off when the wing hit the floor. That was easily repaired with 5 minute epoxy, but it left me wondering what would happen to the wing in a cartwheel landing.

10. While fiddling with all this I got a good look at how the flight pack is arranged in the fuselage. The ESC just sits on top of the rudder and elevator servos so I had to figure out where to move it and how to secure it so it would not foul the servos. The push rods for the tail feathers rub against the fuselage boom and the top of the horizontal stabilizer. I’m not comfortable with either of those arrangements. Were this a kit or scratch built airplane I would find some other way to arrange the push rods so they would not rub on or chafe on the fuselage or tail feathers.

With all those surprises it occurred to me that the Wing Dragon 4 is not a model for a rank beginner in the hobby. I had some 30 years model airplane kit and scratch building and flying experience before leaving the hobby so I recognized some problems that might not be obvious to a newbie. My experience allowed me to deal with all the surprises as they occurred. I can imagine that someone who has no building or flying experience would become frustrated with these issues and then leave the hobby in disgust before even getting started.

I made my first flights at a local park on a windless, overcast, warm and humid morning. While it has been many years since I last owned a radio control airplane I do have some recent stick time with the club trainer and I have many hours flying the FS-1 Flight Simulator my wife got me for Christmas. So, I did not feel uncomfortable making my first flights without an instructor. Besides, if I messed up there would not be anyone around to kibitz me into embarrassment. Like when I misjudged a low level pass and lost an argument with a tree.

The range check at 60’ with the antenna down went well. The transmitter has switches to facilitate servo reversing but I did not need to fiddle with them. The flight control surfaces worked as expected. Then, when I extended the antenna to its full length, it came apart in my hand. I discovered the metal was a split at the end of one antenna segment which allowed the two top sections to come loose. Sigh. I was able to reinsert the detached sections and pinch the split end with a fingernail to get the thing to hold together. Back home, I can make a more permanent repair with a drop of solder to reinforce the split metal.

The local park has a paved parking lot adjacent to a baseball field that has a smooth clay infield. I elected to hand launch the airplane. These first flights went very well, no surprises, which was good, considering my lack of current flight experience. The ailerons seemed to be particularly sensitive (my lack of current flying experience?), even with the clevises and control horns set for minimum throw, but the airplane was very controllable. I was able to do some easy loops but discovered they had to be started at full throttle or from a shallow dive, otherwise there was a tendency for the airplane to fall off before the top of the loop. Aileron rolls were a bit sloppy, but that is probably my lack of recent flight experience. I did a few power off stalls and then tried some spins from a vertical climb stall. These maneuvers were clean, recovery was quick and easy.

When powering down to shoot some landings I found that the airplane would balloon quite a bit when I chopped the throttle. I must learn to apply some corrective elevator at that point. The airplane trims nicely for a power off landing glide but it glides forever – and ever – and ever. I had to learn to turn final much further out than I originally expected. Landing speed is slow and the airplane is controllable right down to the ground but landings in grass resulted in a noseover every time. I made several nice no-bounce landings on the paved parking lot (with a short rollout) and on the clay baseball infield (with virtually no roll out). The airplane would not ground launch from the baseball infield – even the smallest pebble or irregularity would defeat the takeoff roll. I did not try a takeoff from the parking lot although I did some taxi tests. The tail wheel is fixed so ground handling is pretty ragged.

Five rubber bands were supplied with the airplane. I used them all to secure the wing at the beginning of the day. When packing up for the day I discovered that one of the rubber bands securing the wing had broken. I brought along a package of #33 rubber bands to cover that contingency. A simple wipe down with a soft napkin dried off the dew that the airplane picked up from the grass and the airplane was ready to be transported back home. Such a simple cleanup is a far cry from what I remember after a day of flying glow engines those many years ago!

While I am reasonably satisfied with the Wing Dragon 4 as a fun flyer to get me back into the hobby, I am annoyed about the brittle clevises, the battery charging problem and the broken antenna problem. With all the issues I experienced before ever getting into air for the first flight I could not recommend this aircraft as a model for a newbie in the hobby. These issues can be easily corrected by an experienced modeler but they would be unbearably frustrating problems for someone coming into the hobby for the first time.

Casey Sterbenz
    AMA 86189
    I give this product 3 stars. Review by Sterbenz, John (""Casey"")"
    "keeps flying even after breaking through a window
    My son says he would rate it four and half. It is a great starter plane. It has enough power to get off the ground, turn and keep control even with tricks. It flies slow which makes landing easy. In no wind to very light wind it flies great and so smooth. A little wind and you need to be a better pilot. I have flown it in gust 15mph. My son has no problems. I on the other hand flew into two metal bars and it came to a dead stop but totally intact. For this I am writing this review. We pick it up and kept flying.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by labruna, anthony"

Great 4 channel trainer and more

I give this product 5 stars. Review by Robinson, John