At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "F/A 18A RED VIPER" ARF Reviews

"F/A 18A RED VIPER" ARF Reviews

All I hoped for and then some!
    I ordered one of these right when they came out hoping to get a great looking and flying F-18. Boy was I shocked when I received it. It was all I hoped for and then some. The packaging was top notch not a single scratch or dent in the foam. The assembly was fast and easy. The first flight I was a bit nervous because I was not sure if it would take off and land on the rough grass at the park. It took off in a reasonable distance, a little longer than I had hoped for but it works. The flight trimming was easy with just a bit of right and one or two up clicks. Flying the F-18 was as easy as building it. It has NO tip stall and you can fly it around in a bit of high alpha even. The speed was fast enough for a park plane. The climb rate is good enough to do loop after loop. Landing the F-18 is very easy as well. The landing gear worked fairly well in the grass to my surprise. I would not hesitate to recommend this plane to anyone who has flown a low wing aileron plane! The only down side is the limited flight times at full power (just buy a second of third battery). Believe me it is hard to let off the throttle when you feel the need for speed!
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Forsythe, Jason

Re: "F/A 18A RED VIPER" ARF Reviews

My first jet
    I have been flying helis and prop planes for a long time. Most from HLI.
    I bought the Mulitplex twin jet just before they were discontinued. I loved it so much I started to look at ducted fans. Now knowing I had never gone wrong with any of the items I had bought from HL I decided when they put up that they had some (PINK) F/A 18 Vipers. (they actually arrived at HL the wrong color) HL decided to donate $5.00 to breast cancer research for every PINK F-18 sold. Now knowing what a tough time my Mother-in-law has suffered with this very life threatening illness I had to buy one. WOW! it was pink alright. But it was for a good cause and I fly it proudly. It built real fast and takes off of grass or paved surface. It is not a missile but sure is a real fast fun FIRST jet. Take offs are so neat and a load of fun. It flys like it is on rails and high alpha is so cool looking, landing is a real dream as she just slides right in with no bounce. I have since then bought the Blue angel version also. THANKS HL FOR NOT JUST THINKING ABOUT YOURSELVES BUT FOR BREAST CANCER RESEARCH TOO. My mother-in-law and millions of others thank you also. You can see my (pink) F-18 on your tube. Just search Lehigh Valley fun fly.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Rieco, David

The perfect first jet!
    I bought this plane from Hobby-Lobby last spring as an entry into the world of screaming ducted fan jets and this plane proved to be the perfect choice.

The included power system works great- plenty of power for ROG, even off of grass (though its better off of pavement, of course), more than adequate top speed, and plenty of that classic shrill EDF noise.
    The first time I flew this in front of my fellow electric flyers, they were really impressed..but not so much by the top speed but by the relatively amazing glide ratio and the ease with which you can land it. After a couple dozen flights, I was at the point where I could land this plane as softly as I could set it on the ground with my hands! This is a rare quality for a jet.

The Redviper is not a beginner's plane though. While the flight characteristics are forgiving, the roll rate is quite fast and the plane does not self-correct like most trainers do. If you have flown anything with ailerons, you will have no problem with the Red Viper.

My complaints are minor- The finish is scratches and dents easily and one of the motor leads on my copy wasn't a snug fit which required a repair. Its always important to check your connections with any RTF and it was a forgivable flaw for such an affordable and great performing plane.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by Roohr, Michael

Excellent
    This is a great edf jet. Easy assembly. Lots of power. Super handling in the air. I will give a couple words of caution. The skill level required IS intermediate. The aircraft is very sensitive, and flys with overwhelming authority. Turns and rolls are as sharp and fast as you tell it. It does have sufficient power to compromise the integrity of the body of the aircraft. I managed to snap off a wing trying to pull out of a vertical dive toward the deck at full throttle. Be cautious with the high-g maneuvers. That being said, it's not always a bad thing. The beefy power, and responsive controls have saved me from having to rebuild because of rookie pilot errors much more often than they've hurt the plane. If you're not sure if you qualify for the intermediate skill level, I can't stress enough the importance of a flight simulator. Hobby-Lobby has some excellent ones with jet aircraft. My skill improved immensly after having purchased a flight simulator. It's the best money I've spent on the hobby to date. Fly low and fast, but watch the deck!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by miller, robert

FUN FUN FUN
    I've been addicted to rc flight for over a year now started out with completely the wrong plane, a spitfire took longer to buy it than crash it, then I moved to a Super Cub, well it took off from there. I've been recently been flying and buying all sorts of WWII planes, and wanted to move on to Jets, I didn't know what Jet would be the right for a beginner Jet pilot so I bought the Fa 18 red viper. This jet was everything I could expect easy to fly very predictable, easy to land. The flight time could be longer with a better battery. It is also very tough. It has lived through a couple of crashes that balsa wood planes don't stand a chance. I give this Jet Five stars. Simply because I wanted to get bold and bought an eflite f15, and hobby lobby's f18 is still rule of my roost, Eflight has to do better. F 18 rock on this is the best plane I own.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Pitts, Brent

My favorite EDF of all time....
    I currently have nine (9) electric ducted fan planes and this is by far my favorite. This plane is extremely easy to fly and a joy to land. I am flying my plane with all stock components except that I use my Spektrum DX7 radio and AR6100e receiver. The included battery is adequate but I prefer to fly this plane on Zippy 3S 1450 30/40 C batteries and this plane REALLY comes to life. I am guessing you get close to another 10mph speed. The nice thing about this plane is that if you choose to upgrade the power plant it is a piece of cake - just remove two screws and the entire fan unit comes out. I do recommend that you remove the fan rotor and balance it before you fly... I did this after a few flights and noticed a big difference in noise (much quieter) with a slight increase in power. I also recommend that you cut out the "M" shaped cheater holes on top of the fuselage. I hope you all enjoy this plane as much as I do.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Johnson, Keith

Great Plane!
    This is my first jet, and I have to say that it is an absolute joy to fly. The thing I really like to most about this plane is its slow speed performance. You can really fly this jet at 50% power nice and steady, makes landing a breeze. I think this is a great jet to get started on if you want to get in to a EDF jet, but not for the first timer.
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Quick, Gerald

FIRST JET!!!!!!!!!
    THIS JET IS A JOY TO FLY LANDINGS ARE A BREEZE DUE TO ITS LIGHT WEIGHT. IT HAS A VERY SLOW STALL SPEED GREAT FOR FIRST TIMERS. I HAVE FLOWN IT IN NO WIND AND ALSO 15 MPH GUSTS. THE JET IS VERY STABLE IN BOTH SCENARIOS. THE JET IS VERY FAST AT MID TO FULL THROTTLE. THERE ARE A FEW NEGATIVE THINGS I COULD FIND WITH THIS JET IS THAT I FEEL IT IS UNDER-POWERED. IT WILL ONLY CLIMB FOR A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME AND ONLY FLY FOR 5 MIN. I AM AN INTERMEDIATE PILOT, MY ONLY OTHER PLANE IS A HYPERION SNIPER. THE JET IS VERY FUN TO FLY AND A GREAT INVESTMENT. IT WILL ALWAYS COME WITH ME TO THE FLYING FIELD.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by sivil, mike

Totally awesome!
    I rate this plane a 5/5 for many reasons. First, it is an AMAZING looking jet, on the ground AND in the air! I have flown this plane for about two years and love every day I have it! It flies great, it is easy to take off in a short amount of space, and slows down really good for soft landings. It is very stable for being an EDF (electric ducted fan). It also handles the wind better than I expected, especially without rudder control. In fact, with a little headwind, you can almost walk next to it while it is coming down to land! The only thing I think is a bummer is that the flight time is only like 6 minutes. However, this can be fixed with some spare batteries available from Hobby Lobby! I also like how the plane can be hand-launched, if desired, and how easily it goes together out of the box. I work at a hobby shop in southern California and have recommended this plane to many people as a second or third plane because of it's stability, ease of assembly, and how good it looks. If you want a great looking plane that is easy to fly, and repair in the case of a rough landing, I would TOTALLY recommend this awesome aircraft for anyone!
    I give this product 5 stars. Review by Midgley, Erik

Pretty Good for the money
    This plane was my first venture into electric jets after years of flying giant scale gassers and glow funfly profiles. I was both pleasantly surprised and disappointed all at the same time. Even though I had never done one of these and the instructions were very skimpy for a first timer, it still only took me an hour, maybe hour and a half to finish her. On her first flight she was rock solid and only took about 2 clicks of elevator to fly straight and level. I ordered the plane with an extra battery and it was a good thing. One of the batteries fried 2 minutes into the first flight. HL was very good about it and I'm sending it back for a replacement.. So why didn't the plane get 5 stars - the flight time is low, maybe 5 minutes tops and the plane really isn't very fast - it's enjoyable fast, but not thrill fast if you know what I mean. After doing some research I have ordered two 2100 mah Pro Lite batteries for her as suggested by HL to add more flight time and pep her up without going crazy. the current planes come with a 25A controller and HL says I shouldn't have to replace it.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by plisance, steve