At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Freewing EDF Units

Freewing EDF Units

I purchased the (Freewing) F-86 Skyblazers many moons ago, and the MiG-15 more recently. Finally got the F-86 finished ... Launched it, it flew out about 30 yards and the ducted fan then totally disintegrated. I have the MiG almost ready, but don't want to repeat the experience.

Is a better quality (64mm) ducted fan available? And, for that matter, can you suggest a motor that would improve performance to some extent without making it a guided missile?

I'm an old control line driver, fairly new to RC and especially to electric.

Thanks!

Dennis
    :)

Re: Freewing EDF Units

Quote Originally Posted by ama353
    I purchased the (Freewing) F-86 Skyblazers many moons ago, and the MiG-15 more recently. Finally got the F-86 finished ... Launched it, it flew out about 30 yards and the ducted fan then totally disintegrated. I have the MiG almost ready, but don't want to repeat the experience.

Is a better quality (64mm) ducted fan available? And, for that matter, can you suggest a motor that would improve performance to some extent without making it a guided missile?

I'm an old control line driver, fairly new to RC and especially to electric.

Thanks!

Dennis
    :)

You could use the ERC Product#: ERCD261045, which is 4500kv in the F-86 and use the same ESC, or the Product#: ERCD261050, but you might also want to put in a new ESC/motor controller and up its capacity to 40 Amp instead of the 30amp that comes with the plane.

These should give you more power without rocking into space....

Hope this helps,

CK

That should improve performance, but the issue is that the fan unit failed in the first 15 seconds of flight. You don't have direct replacement units available, and I don't look forward to a repeat performance. Do you have a better quality fan unit available?

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by ama353
    That should improve performance, but the issue is that the fan unit failed in the first 15 seconds of flight. You don't have direct replacement units available, and I don't look forward to a repeat performance. Do you have a better quality fan unit available?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

When you say the fan unit failed, are you saying it came apart in flight? I have been flying these jets since they came out and have not experienced a fan problem, so I'm not sure what failed meant. One of the first things that should be done on any Reciever ready or RTF aircraft is to check all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are not loose. The second thing is to check all the control horns to make sure none are stripped or broken. These two items are what cause 95% of all plane crashes in the first few minutes or seconds of flight.

I'm sorry to say we don't have anything in stock currently to help you out. You might give Jason Cole and email and ask him as to when the fan units will be back in stock. His email is Jason.Cole@hobby-lobby.com. You can let him know what the issue is you are having..

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this,

CK

We should have a parts order leaving the factory soon. It takes about a month for them to get here. If you have a service issue, please contact Bobby Ballard at bobby.ballard@hobby-lobby.com or 615-732-7216.