At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Miss 2 Problems

Miss 2 Problems

I've been in the process of assembling, or trying to, the Miss 2. Needless to say, this model has had more manufacturing problems than I am used to.
    First, the joints of each dihedral break on the wings was warped slightly. Sanding provided a better fit, though not great.
    Second, the slot for the fin was ok, but it needed to be slightly longer at the rear to accomodate the rear landing gear wire. A round file extending that 1/16 inch fixed the problem. I also had to adjust the bend on the LG wire so that it fit better.
    My last problem is ongoing, and I need to ask what others have done to correct it. This is the second Hobby Lobby carried model that has had what I consider poor thought. They are the push rods not being anchored along the fuselage to prevent the dreaded limp spaghetti syndrome. In other words, when they are connected, they move around when the servo activates each. Either a much stiffer rod tube is needed, or they should be tacked along the side of the fuselage. My fix seems to be to remove the fuselage covering and install little blocks along the uprights with holes for the tubes to run through. If this is done, there will be positive movement of the control surfaces without any slop. For a beginner airplane, this is an absolute must to prevent disappointment, as beginners might not think anything of the tubes moving around, and find their airplane nose into the ground on their first flight
    Another thing I think might be changed if Hobby Lobby does another manufacturing run on this model. Instead of servos in the HS-80 range, HS-55's should do the trick. This isn't a fast airplane and not really an aerobatic one because of the polyhedral. It can do a loop probably. But this is, as advertised, basically a beginner's airplane that is designed to correct beginners mistakes to some extent due to the polyhedral.
    I like the model, as I prefer easy flying models. I'm a sunday flier. But basic problems like the push rod tubes should never occur in the designing of models. I dislike having to remove the covering, as I like it. But to fix the problem I will have to do so.
    Sorry for a semi review in the technical difficulty area. My problems are technical problems that I would like to have addressed. Crash

Re: Miss 2 Problems

My fix would have worked if the wire hadn't been so soft. This is not music wire, but some other type that is very easy to bend, and it did. There was no binding, so I have to assume that the wire is the culprit. I will go to my LHS or possibly Tower Hobbies and purchase adequate control rods for a model of this size. Crash Very Disappointed

Hey Crashcaley,

I'm sorry your are having problems with this airplane. I'm sure Jason could help you but he is out until next Wednesday. You might want to get in touch with him when he gets back.

I did go to the catalog page on-line to look at and search the Little Miss 2 plane. If you look at the photos below the Main picture of the plane you will see that there is a photo showing that the control rods were attached as you said with extra balsa to keep them from flexing. I would guess that Jason or whomever built the plane that Jason is holding had to make the mods themselves. Sometimes with an ARF/Almost Ready to Fly plane the modeler has to make some changes/fixes in order to get things to work correctly. This is what makes modelling a challenge and a fun thing to do. Also with these little fixes/mods, once you figure out the solution and post it on the forum, it is helping out other modelers with those problems/challenges, and that's a good thing. Even when one buys a RTF/Ready to fly aircraft sometimes they are not as they appear to be and some work has to be done in order to get them to fly correctly, i.e. control rods, warped surfaces, etc. Its just part of the fun.

Sorry I can't be of more help in this matter..

CK

[attachment=0:2hu0djyl]pr2272img5thu.jpg[/attachment:2hu0djyl]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pr2272img5thu.jpg  

Please no worry now. I took my lessons from other airplanes to solve the pushrod problem. I removed the covering in a bay as far back as practical and installed balsa/ply servo mounts. My control rods are about twice the diameter of those provided with the ARF, and only about four to five inches long. Instead of using the pushrod connectors and swivels, I just put z-bends at both ends to ensure everything is strong and cannot come loose.
    I recovered the aft half sides with Microlite plastic covering which is probably as close as I could get to what you use.
    I found that the model needed considerable ballast in the nose to balance, so I went with what I thought I would need, a 4000MaH Lipo pack which made balance perfect.
    So, everything is done, with the exception of the control throws, and will maiden this weekend, winds permitting. Crash Hoping the maiden isn't a crash. Probably will have someone maiden it and tweak the flying surfaces for me. :)

Good luck and loads of fun........

CK

CK, Unfortunately, my Miss 2 had a myriad of problems. I can usually get just about anything to fly but this one would get up and then I had to bring it down when I detected trouble.
    I had the problems listed above. Another problem was the fin sheering away from the stab. It sheered away where the tab is glued to the bottom of the fin. This is a manufacturing problem, not caused by what you might ask was "Did you cut into the base of the fin while removing the covering. No, I peeled the covering back best I could and then tore it off against a blade. Kind of like tearing a piece of paper against a ruler.
    The last flight was disaster as the whole tail part of the fuselage just collapsed, causing an incidence change, and sending the model straight up and straight down. The model is now in the trash, as unrepairable. I think I just got lucky and got what is called a lemon.
    Wood on the model was very soft. I broke a few fuselage crosspieces by just putting a little pressure on them, and that required replacement.
    I mainly participate in free flight. So I am very familiar with wood, and building light structures. I think that whomever picked some of the wood at the factory didn't do a good job on this one.
    This and a few other ARF's/RTF's that I've recently purchased have soured my experience for RC. Over the years I've seen the quality of models go down. Not sure if it is because the availability of materials is getting more difficult to obtain, or if someone is cutting corners to save money. I just don't know. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy about this so called "beginner's Dream". Crash

Quote Originally Posted by crashcaley
    CK, Unfortunately, my Miss 2 had a myriad of problems. I can usually get just about anything to fly but this one would get up and then I had to bring it down when I detected trouble.
    I had the problems listed above. Another problem was the fin sheering away from the stab. It sheered away where the tab is glued to the bottom of the fin. This is a manufacturing problem, not caused by what you might ask was "Did you cut into the base of the fin while removing the covering. No, I peeled the covering back best I could and then tore it off against a blade. Kind of like tearing a piece of paper against a ruler.
    The last flight was disaster as the whole tail part of the fuselage just collapsed, causing an incidence change, and sending the model straight up and straight down. The model is now in the trash, as unrepairable. I think I just got lucky and got what is called a lemon.
    Wood on the model was very soft. I broke a few fuselage crosspieces by just putting a little pressure on them, and that required replacement.
    I mainly participate in free flight. So I am very familiar with wood, and building light structures. I think that whomever picked some of the wood at the factory didn't do a good job on this one.
    This and a few other ARF's/RTF's that I've recently purchased have soured my experience for RC. Over the years I've seen the quality of models go down. Not sure if it is because the availability of materials is getting more difficult to obtain, or if someone is cutting corners to save money. I just don't know. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy about this so called "beginner's Dream". Crash

I am very sorry to hear that your efforts and work ended up in the trash...
    I haven't used balsa in a long time unless the kits I have are 10 or so years old and they seem to be in still good shape with strong select balsa in them. I have to agree with you in that most planes today are made from foam materials and it is replacing the balsa industry pretty quick. Unless you can get a Guillow's kit or one from Sig, or Goldberg you most likley are getting inferior wood. I do know however that HL does test the products they sell in order to endorse them to customers like yourself. I would suggest that you give Jason Cole an email and perhaps a call to let him know exactly what you found and maybe he can do something for you.
    Its a shame that the model just wasn't up to par for you....

Don't give up on RC over freeflight, but don't give up freeflight either, they are both great parts of the flying world and the fun that goes with them.

Email Jason Cole @ jason.cole@hobby-lobby.com and let him know...

Keep flying and trying,

CK

CK, Thanks for the encouragement. It's not that I've not flown RC very much. I started out in RC, and learned the hard way. I could never take off because no one told me what stall speed was. (That's how I got the handle Crashcaley.) So I usually crashed on takeoff. But I could fly full house and slick most landings. Maybe my experience flying a few real airplanes early in my life.
    A friend of mine also echoed your don't give up RC. I still have my Micro Stik, if I can figure out how to keep the prop from coming off. That is a blast to fly.
    But my first love is building airplanes and flying them, mostly free flight. That's why I was so disappointed about this model. I have a lot of experience, and just couldn't get this puppy to fly, or stop from having one structural problem after another. Anyway, enough of this. Thanks again. Guess you should close this thread and file it. Crash