At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: RC Anatomy

RC Anatomy

Hello All,

So i am was wanting to build my own plane soon. And i am just curious. I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or could explain the anatomy of a RC plane. Like what short of items i need to build a plane. I know i need a motor, But what is a motor controller do? What does that connect to. What does the Servos connect to? something like that. THis might not make much sense but i am just looking for a check-list of what i need to build a plane.

Thanks

DF

Re: RC Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Flyer
    Hello All,

So i am was wanting to build my own plane soon. And i am just curious. I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or could explain the anatomy of a RC plane. Like what short of items i need to build a plane. I know i need a motor, But what is a motor controller do? What does that connect to. What does the Servos connect to? something like that. THis might not make much sense but i am just looking for a check-list of what i need to build a plane.

Thanks

DF

I will try and answer your question..

The motor controller does just what it says, it is connected to the motor on one end and the other end is connected to the flight battery. There is also a servo plug on the battery end that connects to the throttle pins on the receiver. The Servos connect to the receiver in thier respective slots, i.e aileron, rudder, elevator, etc. When you buy a transmitter it comes with a manual to explain the useage of it as well as how to connect the receiver, servos and respective other parts if needed. The manual also will explain the control surfaces and usually how they work.

So to answer your question about the Parts/needs list for building an airplane you most gererally need:
    ; A Radio, usually a minimum of 4 channels, throttle, aileron, rudder, and elevator.
    ; a receiver that matches the radio, which may or may not come with the radio purchased.
    ; a set of servos, which also may or may not come with the radio purchased
    ; an esc/motor controller and this is usually matched to the wattage output for the motor(electric only), if you are using
    an nitro/gas powered motor then you need an extra servo to control the throttle.
    ; an electric motor of the correct size for the plane you have selected,or a gas engine of the proper size for the plane.
    ; and last but not least the battery for the motor. Your choice here is Lipo batteries, Nicad batteries, Nimh batteries, of which the last two types are not used much anymore but they do have thier applications.

Now with this said, if you are purchasing an ARF(Almost Ready to Fly) aircraft or almost any other aircraft from HL all you need do is click on the plane you want to purchase or thinking of purchasing, select the :Everything you Will Need"
    and it will give you a list of items needed to complete the plane i.e. radio, motor, esc, battery, servos and any other parts needed. Thus making it ready to fly.

If you still have questions, then you can ask on this forum and you will get an answer as soon as possible, or you can always call support during the week and ask them questions as well.

You may even check the FAQ on the home page for answers as well as the FAQ under the Tech Support section of the Forum for information.

Hobby Lobby wants to make your flying experience as much fun as it can,

So Hope this helps and if you have more questions please feel free to post them.

Happy Flying,

CK