At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: eRC Eurofighter Review by David Baron

eRC Eurofighter Review by David Baron

Article and photos submitted by David Baron.

The Euro fighter is a 6 cell vectored thrust jet that has it all. Exclusively available from Hobby Lobby, this model looks great, has really impressive size and terrific performance that makes it a great package. You bring the transmitter, receiver and airborne battery, charger, and everything else is in the box! This is a head turning model that doesn’t take an expert to fly. The scale detail alone is phenomenal, and the price is exceptionally for all the features and systems on board!

Do I sound excited! You bet! This jet is doing things that were simply unheard of just a few years ago. 12 servos that are already installed, retracts with beautiful functioning shock absorber system. Scale lights and cockpit detailing that must be seen to be believed. Add the functioning canards, the three axis vectored thrust system, and you have a model that will bring a crowd around you as soon as you put it on the fight line!

Flight Performance-
    This model is no slacker. With just better than a 1-1 power to weight ratio, if it is moving forward, it is going to try and fly! The take off roll on pavement is shorter than any similarly sized jet I have flown, and the initial climb rate is stellar. The model has very predictable roll and pitch response, and behaves very comfortably and solidly in the air. Let your first flight explore the speed range and acceleration of the model. (It will impress you.) The model has a wonderful speed range, and in my opinion, that is the key to enjoying and extracting maximum performance from any model. What you need to get used to, (if this is your first vectored thrust model), is that the vectored thrust nozzles can get you behind the power curve, (meaning having an extremely high nose up condition where you are sharing the lifting of the weight of the plane between the lift generated by the wing, and the thrust of the fan.) While with practice you can do some amazing things with this model, it can still stall in this configuration, and the way it stalls, and the potential altitude that you will loose needs to be completely understood before you show off super slow flight close to the ground.

Landings-
    I suggest that you make your first landing very conventional. Throttle back only the amount that needed to establish a comfortable decent. You will find that the Eurofighter stays responsive to all axis of control, and you will add or reduce throttle once established on final to make the model land right where you want on the runway. Chopping the throttle and trying to “fly down” can lead to not having sufficient airspeed to flare when you need to.
    Playing with the Eurofighter “dead stick” is a lot of fun, as you can do really cool Space Shuttle like descents with the nose high and the model stays fully controllable. The descent is too steep for touching down in this configuration, but it is a cool maneuver.

Details-

In order to get your Euro fighter into the air, you will need a seven channel transmitter and receiver with seven channels. For an airborne battery, you will need a 6 cell, 3500 to 5000ma lithium polymer battery. The model is all ready for connection to a Deans High Power connector. The only other item you will need for flight is a good quality Lithium charger for your 6 cell battery.

Setting up all the cool functions turned out to be very exciting. I was motivated by each step of the assembly process. With the canards, there are three contributing factors to controlling the pitch and roll. The elevons on the wing, the canards, and lastly the vectored thrust nozzles.

Landings gear is very sophisticated for a model of this price range. In this first generation model, the retractable landing gear are operated with servos for each wheel. (The next version will have an internally powered electric gear!) The nose wheel had a beautiful functioning gear door, that adds real class to an already cool machine!. My favorite part of the landing gear is the built in suspension system. This looks really good, and it functions so well that it truly makes a difference on landings!

The model has 11 servos on board and comes equipped with a complete led light set. While I would hesitate to fly at night with this system, it really is sharp when illuminated when flying at dusk.

The Eurofighter comes with an installed 90 mm ducted fan system, which is driven by 1750 KV Outrunner. This runs on 6 cell pack. It is recommended to use at least a 4000 milliamps LIPO and 85amp bec speed control, (included). While experimenting with different packs, my favorite pack has become the Thunder Power 45C, 5000ma pack. The lower internal resistance of this pack definitely delivers an edge in power over the other packs that I have tried in this model.

The Euro fighter has a 37 3/4 inch wingspan 55 inch long fuselage and
    79 ounce total weight. This is amazing because the power system produces 84 1/2 ounces of trust, so better than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. This is what gives this plane its fantastic performance.

Construction

From the moment you open the box on this model you will be amazed by all the detail. Everything is carefully packed, and very well cushioned for delivery. This is a big plane, sitting in a big box!
    The instructions break down the subassemblies into common sense steps, and from the moment you start, you get motivated to finish. It gets cooler and cooler with every step!

Wings first.

This kit is so complete that even epoxy glue comes in the box! You need to make up some pretty substantial batches of epoxy, and I used a small brush (like a hardware store acid brush) ready to help spread out the glue properly.

I took the time to lightly sand the surfaces that would be joined to make sure the epoxy was creating a good foam to foam joint, that was not impeded by paint in the glue joint.

When working with epoxy, pace yourself and use only small batches. It may add a few minutes of time to your construction, but with fast setting epoxy, by the time you guarantee alignment, I promise you that the glue is setting up! I only attempt to glue one component or section at a time, so that you can verify alignment and be sure that the joint is perfect as it hardens. You will be amazed at how fast you move through the instruction book. Alignment is the key to a great flying airplane. Take your time and study exactly where the glue surfaces are before you start mixing epoxy.

Check and double check the alignment of the leading and trailing edges as the glue sets, and you will be rewarded “in flight”, with the results.

Another tip is to make sure that you've got your electrical wires and connections for the lights and the servo leads completely out of the way of the wing joint area prior to gluing. When possible, I would unplug the leads and double them over into the troughs that guide the wire. This way the wires were safely and completely out of the way while the glue was drying. After the glue set, it then carefully tucked the wires back into the troughs molded into the foam.

When you're done with joining the wings, then it's time to install the retractable landing gear. Before mounting, check the shock absorbers for freedom of motion, alignment and no free play. Loctite or superglue every thread that might come loose.

The next step is the installation of the wing tanks and drop tanks. They get glued to a slick little pocket in the wing. This couldn't be simpler or clearer. Your Euro fighter is really starting to come together now and looking great!

The next step you get to begin work on the fuselage. It's time to glue in the vertical fin. Double check the connection of the wiring for the lights. The wires go up through the fin, and you need to check that they are correctly connected and not getting into the glue joint when you glue the vertical fin in place.

Next, we epoxy the nose cone to the front of the fuselage and install the canards.

From this point forward, you are installing your receiver, and setting up the controls. Follow the instructions and you won’t be disappointed with the results! Hobby Lobby has taken a lot of time to get all the details right on this model, and I found their preliminary settings to be just right. I was very impressed that the instructions even took the time to walk you through the programming in your transmitter! This kind of detail is what you find in the most expensive Helicopters on the market, so it was a pleasure to experience this detail on a jet!

Conclusion-
    Hobby Lobby has set a new level of value with this Eurofighter. It is big, cool and amazing in its performance! Enjoy the moment when everyone at your field lands, just to watch you fly!

Dave Baron

News flash; From Hobby-Lobby’s web site-
    The newest version of the Eurofighter has new matte finish paint and the retracts are upgraded to servoless electronic type that do not require any endpoint adjustments or critical setup! This cuts the servo count down to 8, (for the control surfaces and other features like gear doors) and this will make for the best package possible.[attachment=0:2kto5yx3]IMG_1492001001.jpg[/attachment:2kto5yx3][attachment=1:2kto5yx3]IMG_1490001001.jpg[/attachment:2kto5yx3][attachment=2:2kto5yx3]IMG_1488001001.jpg[/attachment:2kto5yx3]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0071001001.jpg   IMG_0072001001.jpg   IMG_0075001001.jpg  

IMG_0077001001.jpg   IMG_0078001001.jpg   IMG_0934001001.jpg  

IMG_0940001001.jpg   IMG_0943001001.jpg   IMG_0944001001.jpg  

IMG_0945001001.jpg   IMG_0946001001.jpg   IMG_0947001001.jpg  

IMG_0948001001.jpg   IMG_0949001001.jpg   IMG_0960001001.jpg  

IMG_0962001001.jpg   IMG_0966001001.jpg   IMG_0968001001.jpg  

IMG_0969001001.jpg   IMG_0970001001.jpg   IMG_0972001001.jpg  

IMG_0977001001.jpg   IMG_0980001001.jpg   IMG_0981001001.jpg  

IMG_0982001001.jpg   IMG_1488001001.jpg   IMG_1490001001.jpg  

IMG_1492001001.jpg