At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: ArtTech Cessna 182 Battery Size and hatch....

ArtTech Cessna 182 Battery Size and hatch....

Hello Jason....

I've got the crash sale Cessna 182 by Art-Tech and it seems like the battery hatch area is pretty small. I just ordered two 2200 mah 2C's and they don't fit... too long. The supplied battery isn't fitting at all either... about 3/8 to 1/2 inch too long to fit in the bay of the hatch, which has plastic end caps. It looks to me like when they upgraded the plane to brushless they did a run with the old design of a smaller battery need...oops. It needs at least a 1" longer hatch to fit anything close to a 2200 to 2600 mah 2C battery. I see that they have more than a few variations of the kit, including landing lights and nav lights. Wondering if they mixed a old production run up with the newer design, old decals.

Just wondering if you had any hints or fixes for this, since the supplied battery isn't even close to fitting in the plastic hatch, which has pretty flimsy hatch locks too... I think I would velco the battery to the hatch top rather than rely on these two easily broken latches. A $104 price for better battery hatch wouldn't be a bad trade off.

Other than that, a great kit for the price!

Mark Peterson
    Kirkland, WA

Re: ArtTech Cessna 182 Battery Size and hatch....

Hi Mark,
    I'm out sick today. I know we flew ours and had no issues with the battery. Can you send me an email with so I van check on it when get back to the office. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. I'll let you know
    what I come up with then.

Hope you're feeling better. I'll send a photo with the email and get that to you tomorrow.

Mark

Some photos of the problem with the C182 battery hatch area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-11-10 10 RC ArtTech C182 Battery mismatch typical upgrade 2200 mah DSCN9680.JPG  

Battery that is supplied with the plane does not fit in the battery hatch area. This is the supplied 1800 mah battery. Still too short a battery bay to fit in the plane. Needs forward end cut out, but then there is no hatch to support the battery. It also needs space for the wiring to be hooked up without excessive bending of the wires. I would assume that many people will want more flying time and do the next step upgrade to the 2000 to 2200 mah battery. But as is, the battery supplied does not fit the hatch area in the plane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-11-10 10 RC ArtTech C182 Battery mismatch  DSCN9679.JPG   2010-11-10 10 RC ArtTech C182 Battery mismatch  DSCN9676.JPG   2010-11-10 10 RC ArtTech C182 Battery mismatch DSCN9682.JPG  

Feeling a little better and made it in to work today. Go to the Cessna page here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/epo_cessna_1 ... yId=944631 and click on the Support tab under the photos. There is a link there with a pdf of how to remove the tab in the battery box to get the battery to fit. This was missing from the instruction manual. Hope it helps.

Jason Cole

Ahhhhh..... I feel so much better.

Hope you do too Jason!

Mark