At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: lipo battery power

lipo battery power

Hi Jason---Being new to this hobby I'm not sure if I understand how to get longer flying times with batterys. Do I get a battery with a higher mah , or a higher c rating , or both? How do changes to these ratings change the physical size of a battery? thanks for your help!

Re: lipo battery power

Quote Originally Posted by warbird2
    Hi Jason---Being new to this hobby I'm not sure if I understand how to get longer flying times with batterys. Do I get a battery with a higher mah , or a higher c rating , or both? How do changes to these ratings change the physical size of a battery? thanks for your help!
    Hiya warbird.
    mAh is the capacity of the battery and will effect flight times. The c rating determines how much power will be delivered to your motor. You need to be aware of the capabilities of your motor and speed controller capabilities. For instance, if your you are flying a 400 series park flyer motor with a 25a esc you would not want to use anything greater than a 3s battery at about 20 to 25c. Anything bigger would do serious damage to your motor and esc. You should always match the motors constant and max burst amp along with kv and match the appropiatte esc with the motor. This along with prop size will have a direct impact on the size and capacity of battery usage. Check out rcgroups.com. You will find alot of usefull information there. Hope this helps.

hello mkersy---thanks for the reply---I have been on that site, and the problem is that I don't have the experience with motors,esc's, etc. I just started playing with these things around May of this year. At 54 yrs young I'm alittle thick skulled!!! I have been flying a super cub from hobby zone all summer, and now I would like to get the parkzone t-28 that HL has on their site. But, I don't want the bind-n-fly because I'm afraid it will be too hard to see. The battery they recomend is out of stock, and I thought to get one that will give me the longest flight times, and more times to takeoff and land. If I understand what you are saying, ( I understand the 3cell 11.1v---4cell 14.8v etc.) I should stay with the same "c" rating, and go higher on the mah rating? Thanks again!!!

hello mkersy---thanks for the reply---I have been on that site, and the problem is that I don't have the experience with motors,esc's, etc. I just started playing with these things around May of this year. At 54 yrs young I'm alittle thick skulled!!! I have been flying a super cub from hobby zone all summer, and now I would like to get the parkzone t-28 that HL has on their site. But, I don't want the bind-n-fly because I'm afraid it will be too hard to see. The battery they recomend is out of stock, and I thought to get one that will give me the longest flight times, and more times to takeoff and land. If I understand what you are saying, ( I understand the 3cell 11.1v---4cell 14.8v etc.) I should stay with the same "c" rating, and go higher on the mah rating? Thanks again!!!
    I'm not sure what you mean by the bind and fly being to hard to see. If you mean the gray colored Air Force version then just go ahead and buy the Navy version. It is white. I have the T-28 and use 2200mAh 3s, 25c batteries. Most of my batteries are turnigy batteries from Hobby King. By the way I am 58. Nothing like having a second childhood as long as it does not include diapers. I've been doing this hobby for about 10 months now. You will pick up info from sites like this and others. I surely dont know as much as I need to but I am learning every day. So will you.

P.S. Get yourself a decent battery charger and get some good batteries. Parkzone batteries dont hold up well. I suggest either turnigy nanotechs or zippy batteries both of which can be ordered from Hobby King and they dont kill your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by mkersey
    I'm not sure what you mean by the bind and fly being to hard to see. If you mean the gray colored Air Force version then just go ahead and buy the Navy version. It is white. If Hobby Lobby doesnt have the Navy version go to Horizon Hobby and order from them or ask your local hobby store if they can get it. I have the T-28 and use 2200mAh 3s, 25c batteries. Most of my batteries are turnigy batteries from Hobby King. By the way I am 58. Nothing like having a second childhood as long as it does not include diapers. I've been doing this hobby for about 10 months now. You will pick up info from sites like this and others. I surely dont know as much as I need to but I am learning every day. So will you.

P.S. Get yourself a decent battery charger and get some good batteries. Parkzone batteries dont hold up well. I suggest either turnigy nanotechs or zippy batteries both of which can be ordered from Hobby King and they dont kill your wallet.

The C-ratings of batteries is very confusing to many folks. Here is an easy way to think of it.

C-rating is nothing more than the rate at which a battery or cell CAN deliver power. If you think of small AA or AAA batteries, they are 1.5 volts and can deliver a small amount of current. What if you need 1.5 volts but MORE current. Well, you could just go to C or D size cells. Same voltage but they CAN deliver more current.

If you had you little MagLite flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries, and instead hooked up 2 D cells, your light would be no brighter...still 3 volts total.

So why would you need or want a higher C rating battery? Well, if you needed more power, think amps here, than the little AA's could provide, you would need a battery with a higher C rating. As a general rule, higher C rating batteries tend to be of higher quality and should last longer also.

All is not free though. Higher C rating batteries usually cost more, are heavier, and larger...no such thing as a free lunch.

Too small a C rating though will cause voltage sag, battery damage, and a short life of the battery pack.

Hope this helps. It isn't an easy subject to understand quickly.

Cliff