At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: LiPo

LiPo

We are new to flying, on a LiPo battery, do we need to break them in? And is there any other things we might need to know :D

Re: LiPo

No, no break-in required. They also do not need to be topped off before flight. They hold their charge well. They also provide full power from the beginning, unlike nickle metal hydride batteries that need a few cycles to develope full power.

Your main concerns are that they are somewhat fragile. The soft covering saves weight, but watch that they don't get punctured, dented or damaged in any way. Do not let them discharge below 3 volts per cell. Your esc should have a cut-off that will prevent this. Do not charge them at a rate higher than 1C. (the C rating is the batteries capacity in amps as in 1,000 mAh capacity will be charged at 1 amp)

Of course, ONLY charge on a lipo charger!

Cliff

we have what is called a skyy charger with lIPo settings so we use that thank u very much

We have a 7.4v 600mah blue lipo battery and we were flying for a while today how low should the charge go before it begins to break?

If your going to fly electric its always a good idea to buy a cellspy. It tells you what you have left for a charge and its also good because you never want to discharge more than 3 volts per cell or permanent damage to your bat will occur. With a CellSpy. You can get the max flight time without discharging to much

Quote Originally Posted by titoflyer443
    We have a 7.4v 600mah blue lipo battery and we were flying for a while today how low should the charge go before it begins to break?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "break". Ideally, you should never discharge a lipo below 3 volts per CELL...or 6 volts for your 2 cell pack.

Almost all esc's have a setting to prevent this and most settings are preset for you. Your motor speed will sag or the motor will quit before any damage to the pack happen while leaving enough power for your receiver and servos to operate allowing you to land.

In practice, you can use a charger that shows how many milliamp hours you put back into your battery to determine how much power you consumed, but most likely you do not have that type of charger.

So, what I'd suggest is to fly for about 7-8 minutes, then charge you battery. If the motor was still able to make full speed, I'd increase my flying time by a minute or so at a time until I get to about 10 minutes. Most planes are equipped with batteries that last about 10 minutes. That is a rule of thumb, not a fact though. If all is going well at 10 minutes, just time your flights and land at the 10 minute time. It is far better to charge your lipos more often than to run them too low.

Hope that helped.

Cliff