At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Freewing F-35 & F16 ESC programming

Freewing F-35 & F16 ESC programming

I've got both of these planes and can't get either ESC to correctly initiate. In the case of the F-16, it just keeps beeping until I take off. The F-35 does the same except when flying, there is no difference between half throttle and full throttle.

I have repeatedly tried to calibrate the throttle per Jason's video; move throttle to full "up," power up, wait for beeps, move throttle to minimum...just doesn't work.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks

Re: Freewing F-35 & F16 ESC programming

Is your radio set for 100% throw on the throttle channel?
    What radio are you trying to use?
    Jay
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

The radio is a DX-7 and yes, it's set for 100%.

That is a stumper for me from Email.

Best thing to do is give Robert a call at HobbyLobby and have him work with you on the phone.
    That all should work and the Throttle should re linearize when you calibrate it from the video.
    That is a puzzler, expecially with two on different airplanes.
    Sorry to not be of more help.
    Jay

I just took my F-35 that I am putting together so its basically from new parts. I took the receiver plugged it into the controller, set the throttle to high, plugged in the battery which gives me 3 high pitched beeps, as soon as your hear the last beep move the throttle stick directly to low, you should get another 3 high pitched beep and then you will get either two or three more after that to confirm connection. Don't be to quick on moving the throttle until after you hear the lower pitched beep. Move throttle slowly and motor should start. Hold down model and move throttle from low to high and all should be working properly.

I would clear the program if you are using 2.4ghz just to make sure nothing is in memory and start over. Once it is bound to the plane it can sometimes be hard to get it to work.

Hope this helps.

Rebelvis,
    With this really great explanation of the procedure by the Colorado Kid, give it a try and let us
    know how you did, if you haven't called Robert yet.

Thanks,
    Jay

As to Colorado' suggestion, I have actually done all of those things. I've even left the throttle at 100% for a longer period of time, but unfortunately the ESC seems to start entering programming mode which I view as dangerous since no instructions are apparently available for the ESC and I risk inadvertently screwing up the timing, brake setting or some orther setting. Nevertheless, I appreciate his input.

One of the reasons I tried the forum is that I've mentioned the issue to the front counter guys and at best get the same advice as Jason's video or a shoulder shrug. FWIW, I know at least 2 others at the field who have the exact same issue with the F-35. Of the 2 planes, the F-35 is really more of an issue since the throttle is not remotely linear. I do "believe" it spools up all the way though. The F-16 is linear, it just continues to make beep tones until I take off and fly.

I'll take them to HL since I live closeby in hopes that Robert can come up with something.

Actually you do want program mode as you put it.
    You are programming the ESC to match your throttle throw.
    I will leave this now for any advice from Jason.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado kid
    I just took my F-35 that I am putting together so its basically from new parts. I took the receiver plugged it into the controller, set the throttle to high, plugged in the battery which gives me 3 high pitched beeps, as soon as your hear the last beep move the throttle stick directly to low, you should get another 3 high pitched beep and then you will get either two or three more after that to confirm connection. Don't be to quick on moving the throttle until after you hear the lower pitched beep. Move throttle slowly and motor should start. Hold down model and move throttle from low to high and all should be working properly.

I would clear the program if you are using 2.4ghz just to make sure nothing is in memory and start over. Once it is bound to the plane it can sometimes be hard to get it to work.

Hope this helps.
    I guess they changed the ESC slightly. The ESC in my F-35 (shipped Nov, 2010), needed to be programmed as follows:
    1. Set throttle to high. Make sure that the throttle in the radio is set to 100% travel, and the trim to neutral
    2. Plug in battery
    3. You will hear three sets of double beeps, with about a second between each set of beeps
    4. AS SOON AS YOU HEAR THE THIRD SET OF BEEPS, move the throttle to low.
    5. You will hear a low-high beep. Wait a few seconds, then crack the throttle. The motor should work.

Hope this helps.

JBB