At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: how to change Spitfire propeller

how to change Spitfire propeller

I just received my Micro Spitfire a few minutes ago. NICE LOOKING PLANE! Too bad the winds are 15 gusting to 20 :o

The manual covered things well and everything works well, BUT, there was no mention of how to change the prop from the attached "indoor" to the included "outdoor".

The first small hurtle was to remove the spinner. How was it attached? I tried to remove it, but didn't want to damage the delicate plane. So, instead, I thought I'd remove the prop first. I carefully held the motor shaft with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Gently spinning the prop while gently pulling had it removed in seconds. I could then see that the spinner was glued onto the prop, but could be gently pried off.

As they say, assembly is the reverse. Hold the motor shaft (gearbox shaft actually) with pliers when "turning/pushing" the new prop into place. I glued the spinner back into place with a drop of Gorilla glue.

I have read some complaints that the controls of these planes are almost like switches...on or off. It is easy to see that just pushing the levers while holding the airplane, but if you move the controls slowly like normal flight would be, they seem quite linier.

Again, beautiful plane and I'll be looking forward to the first flight.

Cliff

Re: how to change Spitfire propeller

The winds calmed down to just barely detectable, so I got my maiden flight in. She just flew right out of my hand. I had to do one mechanical adjustment to the Z-bend for the elevator. I couldn't get enough down trim without this simple adjustment. Just squeeze the Z-bend closer together.

Loops were quite large and pretty. Easily done from level flight, even 6 minutes into the flight. Rolls are difficult, but possible. Have lots of altitude.

The plane was faster than I expected and if you are smooth on the controls, the plane flies quite smoothly.

I used the "outdoor" propeller. I didn't not try the indoor prop as I never fly indoors.

AUW, with battery, was exactly 1 ounce.

Nice plane, looks great, couldn't pass on the Crash Sale price :D

Cliff

Cliff,

Really glad you liked it.
    Keep up with posting the hints, they help a lot.
    Jay
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    The winds calmed down to just barely detectable, so I got my maiden flight in. She just flew right out of my hand. I had to do one mechanical adjustment to the Z-bend for the elevator. I couldn't get enough down trim without this simple adjustment. Just squeeze the Z-bend closer together.
    Hi Cliff,

I'm new to these things. What's the Z-bend?

That is the little zig zag bent into the wire that goes back to the elevator.
    If you unbend it a little it lengthens the wire. If you squeeze it close it shortens the wire.
    This is how you can adjust the control surface if there is not enough compensation
    with the trim buttons.
    Jay

Yep, and the zig zag is bent into the wire just in front of the elevator control horn, in the open, so that it is very easy to adjust. A pair of needle nose pliers is all it takes. The transmitter has the normal trim controls, but they can only adjust so far. If the trim controls can't make the needed adjustment, some mechanical adjustment is needed.....and easy in this case.

Cliff

Thanks. I've noticed the bend before, but didn't realize how it could be used.

I can't prove it, but I've always thought that the Z bend also acts like a small "shock absorber" also, helping to protect servo gears when control surfaces get bumped, like when moving the model to or from a car. They have just a tiny bit of "spring" or give to them. I suppose that is why you don't see them on larger, precsion models. Large surfaces would spring the Z bends in flight, but maybe a bonus on smaller models.

Cliff

Cliff,

On a full size servo installation in my book unless it is very stiff wire it would act more like slop in the control in
    my book.
    ;)

Jay

I agree Jay. I wouldn't/don't use them on large models. They work fine on the small ones though.

Maybe some "slop" from Z bends could be used for an excuse when I make a sloppy manuver :mrgreen:

Cliff