At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EuroFighter on grass runway

EuroFighter on grass runway

Hey,

I have the EuroFighter and love the looks of it on the ground, however despite numerous attempts, I've not been able to get it airborne. I fly from a grass runway that is cut meticulously to about 1-1.5". I've tried a few things including putting thinner wheels on the back, fixing the shock strut on the nose gear so it doesn't compress and putting a slightly larger wheel on the front. CG is right on the marks on the wing, but the nose seems heavy to pick up when it's just sitting there. Is this thing made to rotate the nose off the ground prior to rotating or does it rise off level? I'd love to hear from anyone who's had success off of grass. My next try will be larger/wider wheels... Has anyone had success with a bungie? I may get to that point!

One other note, I did have trouble with the nose gear collapsing on me and installed a new servo for it on my own about a week before I got the 3 metal gear servos in the mail from you. I have to tell you that I LOVE the customer service. It really tells me that you stand behind your products, so thank you!!

-Durell

Re: EuroFighter on grass runway

Hi Durell,
    It depends on the grass I guess. I've flown my Euro off of the grass at SEFF and Joe Nall with no problems, but that grass is sweet and short. The other alternative is to hand launch it. It's really easy to do. You can hold the plane inside of the wheel wells for a secure grip. It has plenty of power and I have hand launched mine several times with no worries.

Jason Cole

Okay, thank you Jason. I will give it a shot on the hand launch. I am just apprehensive not having too much experience hand launching especially something this size. It does have tons of power. Thanks for the encouragement, I will let you know how it goes! :) ... or I'll be ordering a new airfame ;)

-Durell

Wanted to give you an update Jason. My son and I took the EuroFighter out this evening for her maiden flight with the intention of trying the hand launch. Since there were two of us, I did the tossing and my 11 year old son Philip was at the sticks. You were right! It was remarkably easy to launch by hand and she flew out with authority! We were both amazed! We got about an 8 minute flight mostly at half throttle, did some rolls and full power vertical climbs. I have to tell you that I LOVE how this airplane looks and flies! I was most impressed with its slow speed stability. I did the first landing, set up nose high on approach and flew the descent with throttle. I was amazed at how stable it was and how slow I get it to come in. I think I could have flew it 30 degrees nose up all the way down the runway. I touched down right in front of my position.

I've been flying it on the Turnigy 6S 4000MAH pack and it was warm but I could hold on to it without issue after the flight. One thing I noticed was that the plane did appear to fly a little nose high. I saw somewhere that folks were adjusting the canards down slightly to compensate. We'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence Jason. It's an awesome airplane.
    -Durell

Quote Originally Posted by durelll
    Wanted to give you an update Jason. My son and I took the EuroFighter out this evening for her maiden flight with the intention of trying the hand launch. Since there were two of us, I did the tossing and my 11 year old son Philip was at the sticks. You were right! It was remarkably easy to launch by hand and she flew out with authority! We were both amazed! We got about an 8 minute flight mostly at half throttle, did some rolls and full power vertical climbs. I have to tell you that I LOVE how this airplane looks and flies! I was most impressed with its slow speed stability. I did the first landing, set up nose high on approach and flew the descent with throttle. I was amazed at how stable it was and how slow I get it to come in. I think I could have flew it 30 degrees nose up all the way down the runway. I touched down right in front of my position.

I've been flying it on the Turnigy 6S 4000MAH pack and it was warm but I could hold on to it without issue after the flight. One thing I noticed was that the plane did appear to fly a little nose high. I saw somewhere that folks were adjusting the canards down slightly to compensate. We'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence Jason. It's an awesome airplane.
    -Durell
    Durell or Jason - can either one of you post a video of a hand lauch with this jet? I have only been able to get it airborne once via the grass field near my home. I would like to fly this plane more but would like to see the hand launch done with my own eyes prior to trying it out with my own investment. Thanks guys!

Hey, I don't have any footage of me hand launching mine, but I have done it around 10 times or so with mine and others planes. You hold inside of the wheel wells and its a solid hold. Full throttle and throw it straight out. Plenty of power to get up to speed and flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole
    Hey, I don't have any footage of me hand launching mine, but I have done it around 10 times or so with mine and others planes. You hold inside of the wheel wells and its a solid hold. Full throttle and throw it straight out. Plenty of power to get up to speed and flying.
    Thank you Jason. That's good enough for me. I've seen you hand toss the F-86 (over hand) and besides holding the EuroFighter in the wheel wells i'm sure it looks pretty much the same. The trick is keeping it flat on the toss!

However, when I toss (my) F-86 I always throw it with my left hand, under-hand. This has been a lot less drama in the case of a bad toss compared to my overhand attempts.

Good call. If you have any competent pilots near you, I'd suggest having them on the controls while you launch it for the first time. Just to get a feel for it without having to worry about flying it as the same time. It comes a little easier for me since I'm a natural lefty and get to have thumb on the primary flight controls. Let me know it turns out.

Jason Cole

Having a competent pilot start-off the flight for you (me) is an interesting concept (vs having them throw it). That's not a bad idea since I think the tossing part can be more intimidating since the EuroFighter is easy to fly.

We'll see if I get around to this before the wisconsin winter arrives. Jason - Thanks again for making your self available and responding regularly to customers/visitors on this message board. It says a lot about your dedication to customer support and Hobby Lobby as a company.

-Josh

My pleasure. We're here to help. Hope all goes well.

Jason