At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Motor settup recommendation request

Unhappy Motor settup recommendation request

Hi, there!

For my first post I would like to know what size of electric motor (two) should I use for a scratch twin (BN-2A Islander) using the eRC P-51 mustang receiver servo board, and which additional compatible servo I could use for ruder control which could be connected to the fourth channel that is supposed to be available with the eRC four channel dsm transmitter.

The plane has approximately 25 inches wingspan by 15 inches length. It is made entirely of Foam tray material (please refer to Backyard Flyer's magazine article of Foam Tray flyers (Summer 2002 issue). The foam is quite thick which makes the model a little heavy compared to the fine manufactured models Hobby Lobby sells. Yet, I would like to venture into this scratch project. Still I have no Idea of whether or not I could use the P51 receiver servo board ( I purchased two more for two other projects but these are single motor models) Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Turbopropdriver :?: :roll:

Re: Motor settup recommendation request

The Micro Mustang ERC controller board is an integrated board with ESC, servos and receiver all on
    the same board.
    These are modules made by a manufacture for us with the plane and whole system integrated
    into one package we did not design the components but have the model to a performance spec.
    We have no specifications on how much current that speed controller on that board can handle as
    a load the only thing I know is that it is a brushed motor since it is two wires.
    I am sorry but I have no idea what motors it can drive and no way to find out.
    I suggest that you might want to do some experimentation as a modeler and see what you come
    up with.
    Please let us know of your success with this fine modeling project.
    I am sorry that I could not be of more help.
    Regards,
    Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Jay, Thank you for your prompt reply.

Is there any way I could perhaps contact the manufacturer and perhaps be able to get more light from them?

Again, many, many thanks

Turbopropdriver :D

By the way Jay,

Let me slide out of the above reply to maybe avoid digging into the manufacturer's restricted info. Let's take a slight different approach instead. Let's still use the erc receiver servo board and attach into the system a separate esc motor combination for my model... but instead of connecting the motors to the esc, lets connect the external esc with perhaps a "Y" harness so that both motors run together. What I would need to know is what size motor should I use for a 25in span/15long and perhaps two to four ounce weight model. (Islander). I am quite a newbie into electrics (micro size) and have no idea where to start looking. I have a quite limited budget and experimentation might be at this moment too expensive to try . Please advise and again, thank you very much for your valuable insight.

Turbopropdriver ;)

I am sorry again but there is no external connection to run a separate ESC.
    There is a connector on the board and I guess that is for a fourth channel.
    On the motors, we do not carry a motor that I have the specs for that could be used for
    that small of an airplane.
    We do not have micro accessories for the very small aircraft.
    Here is a thread on Ezonemag.com that covers that kind of applications:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/indoor-and-micro-models-85/
    Go the the first thread on this forum and it gives a lot of good background
    and supplier information.
    Once again I am sorry that I could not be of more help.
    Regards,
    Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Mr. Burkart,

Once again, many, many thanks for your reply. I understand that then the extra erc receiver/servo boards may only be used with single motor setups. And also thanks for the additional links in rcu, I will dig more into them.

Have a Great one!!

Turbopropdriver :D