At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Free Wings New 360 Degree / Thrust Vectoring EDF Jets

Free Wings New 360 Degree / Thrust Vectoring EDF Jets

This may be considered to be a persistent enquiry, but I do not seem to clearly understand why Free Wing will not use stronger more resilient EPO foam material in their newer Thrust Vectoring EDf jets? The SU-34 360 is one of the newer line of edfs that was released after the EPO F-86 Saber and is a wonderful concept in the growing r/c edf hobby, but producing such a model with cheap EPS foam is a disaster in terms of durability and model longevity .
    Is the use of EPO foam restricted to only smaller models due to production costs? If using cheap, fragile EPS foam has something to do with weight, then I say use better quality motors and stronger fan units that will not only throw off a blade, but will also support the weight of the denser EPO foam! (Yes, blade explosion, or throw off, has become a problem with the flimsy Free Wing EDF impeller units as reported by edf jet pilots at my club.).
    I have examined all the Free Wing jets marketed by Hobby-Lobby at my Local Hobby shop, Ray and Robbins, here in Falmouth Maine. From this examination,and it is not only myself but many other customers who agree that, the tensile strength of the EPS foam that makes up these Free Wing jets, such as, the SU-34, F-35 and F-16, is the same tensile strength as the EPS foam on a Dunkin Donuts foam coffee cup! Who really wants to invest over $300.00 for a FLYING EGG SHELL? I heard one customer say at my hobby shop in reference to the SU-34, "I can push my finger right through the fuselage, just like a loaf of Wonder Bread.". Even the Horizon Hobby "Z"-Foam on their E-Flight "F-16 400 DF" is stronger and will retail for much less as a PNP this spring. (Ya, I know, another F-16 on the market. What's new?).

It is much better to hold on to your money and wait for more durable foam EDF jet models with better quality brushless motors and stronger fan units, ( hopefully not another modern era jet.) to come out on the market ! Only then will a $300.00 price tag be justified.

DryPipe.

Re: Free Wings New 360 Degree / Thrust Vectoring EDF Jets

Hi,
    We appreciate your comments. As with anything, there are always trade offs. In this case EPS has an advantage of being lighter, more stable, better painted finish, and it holds it's shape over time. EPO foam is more resilient, but easily warps and is heavier. We are asking our manufacturers to use higher quality electronics and materials and we may go to EPO for larger jets in the future.

Thanks,
    Jason Cole

Jason,

I have owned two RC-Lander "F9-f Panther"s for over two years. Both airframes on these jets are made of EPO foam material and one of the Panthers has a 0.3mm PVC coating to keep away scratches and dings. I must say that the abuse I give these jets from transporting them in the back of my pickup truck to and from the airfield, sliding against my tool box and other junk that is in the back of the truck bed, has never resulted in foam breakage, distortion, or any other kind of airframe damage. Can you do this with a EPS foam jet? ( Not to mention balsa or fiberglass). I also must say that the paint finish is as bright and clear as the day I received them from Tim Wan. Even the Panther without the PVC coating is in excellent like new condition. I fly these jets on 22.2v with the 68mm 3,575 KV metal EDF fan unit at up to speeds in excess of 100 mph. In the two years of flying at these speeds and stresses, I have never had an problem with the Jet's EPO foam "stability" or the foam material getting out of shape. Even sitting in the hot afternoon August sun at the airfield has not distorted the jets EPO foam!
    If there ever should be an issue of one of the wings or control surfaces getting out of shape due to stress distortion, all I need to do is to apply a wet rag over the EPO foam in question and then apply a 300 degree iron on top of the wet rag. The steam that is generated between the rag and foam airframe, will remove any wrinkles or distortion and restore the airframe back to like new condition! I doubt that anyone can perform this kind of maintenance on their EPS foam aircraft!

DryPipe.

Great points and well noted. We do enjoy EPO foam and have several models using it with more on the way. Seems like the market is shifting towards EPO. Again, many thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to let us know your thoughts. It has not gone unnoticed.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole
    Great points and well noted. We do enjoy EPO foam and have several models using it with more on the way. Seems like the market is shifting towards EPO. Again, many thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to let us know your thoughts. It has not gone unnoticed.

Jason
    It is nice to see the new Venom Group EPO 80mm Sabers on Hobby-Lobby!