At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: New to R/C

New to R/C

I recently bought the Blade Msr Heli now I want to graduate to a Plane but I am not sure what to do. Should i but a RTF or ARF. Should I get my own transmitter or go with the RTF transmitter. What are the advantages and disadvantages between the transmitters? What is the difference in flying a bi-plane , a cub, and an acrobatic? I catch on quick and dont mind buying parts after a crash because I want a plane that has potential and would like to grow into it. What do you recommend? all posts/criticisms welcome

Re: New to R/C

In my opinion, you will learn much more by purchasing an ARF. It gets you involved more with the plane and you will feel much more confident about performing any needed repairs or modifications in the future. You will likely also be surprised at the amount of work you will perform on assembling an ARF.

Most of the transmitters I've seen with RTF's are not the best quality. I believe you would be much happier buying a quality transmitter that you can grow into. It is also quite rare to see a transmitter with an ARF that has memory for more than one airplane. It is nice to have a 10 plane memory, or something like that, so that you can use one transmitter for several airplanes. You will also want electronic trims, not trim levers. Those levers get bumped all the time and you will forget to reset them when you change airplanes. Electronic trims are remembered in the transmitter memory.

Some biplanes are very easy to fly, some are not. Generally, they tend to lose airspeed quicker on approach than a single wing due to the increased drag. That requires a bit more care on keeping airspeed up on approach to prevent stalling. Very aerobatic planes can get away from a new pilot very quickly and are not "self righting" at all. That pretty much requires some dihedreral in the wing.

My recommendation....ARF, separate quality transmitter, trainer made of foam for durability and easy repair, then add a second gentle flying biplane. Finally, an aerobatic plane to really build your skills.

Cliff

Hobby Lobby does not have a very good selection of foam ARF high wing planes do you have any you recommend?

I should make it clear that I have no connection with Hobby-Lobby.

The planes I started with are no longer available. My wife started with a GWS Slow Stick that was later modified with a Millenium RC extreem wing. You can do a lot with that plane!

I do have a Micro Telemaster that I love to fly because it is just so slow and gracefull flying in my side yard between the trees. It is a kit though.

Since you have helicopter experience, you may want to try the Mini-Telemaster ARF. It isn't "mini" at 47" wingspan, but guess it is smaller than my Senior Telemaster. You can use it 3 channel and upgrade to the aileron wing when ready. Your experience may make this a good choice. The Telemasters have been around a long time for a reason....they work and are easy to fly.

A search of homemade foam planes can turn up hundreds of great winter projects made out of insulating foam. Many are very easy to make and you won't feel bad about crashing $2 worth of foam :lol:

I build lots of insulation foam planes for fun.

Cliff