Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eRC Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

eRC Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

eRC 2.4 GHz radio & 2 batteries - everything included for $99.99
    Micro P-51D Mustang "Ridge Runner" is the first in a series of authentic Micro Warbirds from eRC. 14-1/2" wingspan, 13-1/2" long, 35 sq. in. wing area, 1.1 oz. flying weight. Ready to fly right out of the box. Comes with 2 flight batteries to keep you flying. The transmitter is a 2.4 GHz 4-channel radio. The P-51 is completely built and decorated in authentic Ridge Runner III colors and includes a pre-installed geared, brushed motor, receiver and proportional servos.

Model can be flown indoors or outdoors in calm winds. Designed with the sport flyer in mind - pilots will enjoy the stable flight characteristics, durability, and great scale details. Landing gear are removable, airplane can be flown with or without it. Use the included display stand to showcase your WWII Fighter.

Micro P-51D Mustang Highlights:

* Comes with everything needed to fly, all in one box
    * Realistic scale features include clear canopy, strut covers, and authentic graphics
    * Includes 2 single-cell Lithium batteries that charge from transmitter
    * 3-Channel control: throttle, ailerons and elevator
    * Proportional servo controls for smooth, responsive flight
    * Geared motor with plenty of power for ground take-offs
    * Lightweight, durable foam construction
    * For sport to intermediate pilots
    * 8 to 10 minute flight times
    * Display stand included
    * Complete line of replacement parts available

Micro P-51D Specs:

* Wingspan: 14-1/2"
    * Length: 13-1/2"
    * Wing Area: 35 sq. in.
    * Flying Weight: 1.1 oz.

See the video HERE

Re: eRC Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

Got the P-51 for Christmas and flew great for 11 great flights. After recharging for next, the throttle no longer works. Flight controls are fine, just no power. It's after the 30 day warranty, so very disappointed. Any suggestions?
    Gert

Gert,
    I suggest giving one of the sales guys a call and see if they can do anything for you.

Jason

I fixed it myself. Cut the underside of the nose away along the decal and simulated panel lines to inspect, and found a solder defect on the motor side of the electrical connector. Thanks anyway. :roll:

Wow, Great work and good modeling.
    Can you please post some pictures here of your surgery on getting into the fuselage so that it can be shared with some of the other modelers?
    Ingenuity like that needs to be shared.
    How did you close it back up?

Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Hi,

I've not flown before and I was looking to get started with a RTF kit (batteries, remote, charger, plane already to go and all) and the mustang caught my eye for the price and size. After research however I found that smaller planes may be harder to fly and more apt to be taken by wind. Even still, how hard is it to learn how to fly with this plane? Can it be done. I'm willing to sacrifice ease for the affordability (although it may not be a good idea...) I also saw the mini super cub but it's on back order till mid may! I want to start flying right away and I was actually in the store today and was pretty bummed to go home empty handed. It's been two weeks now looking for a plane. What I really want is something the size of the mini super cub, but with the controls of the mustang, and that I will enjoy even after I've learned how to fly it. I don't want to learn how to fly, then get bored with the trainer, and have to buy another plane. Anyone got any ideas?

Hi Rookie88,

I know how hard it is to purchase a trainer type aircraft to learn to fly with, but all of us had to start somewhere.
    As much as you like the micro cub and the micro p-51 these are not really beginner aircraft and you would be wasting your money to purchase one. Your first flights if not with a very good trainer will just end up in disgust because you will most assuredly crash and wreck your plane. Seek a good AMA sanctioned club and ask for help in learning how to fly. A lot of times they already own a trainer aircraft and can buddy up with you to teach you the ins and outs of flying these magnificent little airplanes. Put in some time on the trainer then purchase a plane that will help you go further at the flying field. We have all had to put in the time in order to fly the P-51's and the Piper Cubs without a lot of worry about crashing, but make no mistake crashes are part of flying these little gems.

I would recommend as a first aircraft the Easy Star, which Hobby Lobby does sell. It is an excellent learning first aircraft because of its gliding ability. Just remember learn first then move up to your dream plane. So many of us older flyers have done what you would like to do just to ruin the plane and have to go to the trainer plane to learn.

This is just my thoughts on your problem.

Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid,

Excellent advice.

I fly quite a bit and find the P-51 and the Spitfire to be a challenge to fly.

Definitley not a beginners airplane.

Jay Burkart

[attachment=3:1zrh6c7j]Micro P-51-Spitfire motor hold in screw removal 001.jpg[/attachment:1zrh6c7j][attachment=2:1zrh6c7j]Micro P-51-Spitfire motor hold in screw removal 002.jpg[/attachment:1zrh6c7j]

These photos show how to remove the motor mounting screw.
    Then pull the motor out of the front of the plane from where it is mounted on
    a carbon fiber shaft protruding from in the plane.
    I have found some planes where the motor wires are inadvertantly glued to the shaft mount :|
    and the motor will not pull out. On those you need to do some surgery with a very sharp
    Xacto knife of single edged razor blade and get to
    the motor through the fuselage and pull the wire loose so that the motor
    can come out the front.
    Here is a picture of the fuselage removed so that you can see the motor area.
    Also is some cases if the motor cannot be removed by taking the motor mount screw out
    you can access the motor by cutting away the fuselage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro P-51-Spitfire motor hold in screw removal 001.jpg   Micro P-51-Spitfire motor hold in screw removal 002.jpg   Micro P-51-Spitfire motor hold in screw removal 003.jpg  

Micro P-51-Spitfire cut open for access 003.jpg  

e: spitfire and P-51 rtf
    by Jay Burkart Mon May 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Changing props:

Somehow either the shaft got out of align or maybe when you pulled out on the prop you
    pulled the motor/gear shaft out from it's retainer collar if the shaft and gear pull way out.
    You will need to do a little surgery to put it back on.
    Fixing that problem you will need to neatly cut into the fuselage to get
    at the retainer to put it back on. It should be laying inside of the motor area
    and you will need to shake it out to put it back on.
    To put it back on hold it with some needle nose pliers and then get it started on the back
    of the shaft. Then hold it at the end so you can push it on the rest of the way.
    Push it on to were there is minimum end play to the shaft.
    Or you will see in another picture how much shaft needs to stick out of the gear and you may
    have to hold the shaft and push the gear back.

Here are some pictures that show how to work on it.
    Also how to hold the shaft to change the prop. :idea:
    Let me know how you do with it.
    Regards,
    Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro P-51-Spitfire ERC2000 004.jpg   Micro P-51-Spitfire ERC2000 002.jpg   Micro P-51-Spitfire ERC2000 005.jpg