At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: underhand launch mini F4

underhand launch mini F4

a flying buddy has the mini F4 and has had unsuccessful hand launches. we've tried using a bungee - sometimes successful and other times not. plane does get in the air eventually but getting beating.

i told him about the "underhand" launch i've seen on the hobby lobby videos. question (for pilot on hobby lobby videos):

what are the trim settings you have set to get a successful "underhand" launch on the mini F4 ?

Re: underhand launch mini F4

Hi,
    My trim settings were no different than normal flying. The trick is to get a nice smooth forward push with no side loading and no angle of attach. Just launch it straight out at full power. It helps to stand at the top of a hill the first time or so until you figure it out. If you throw it up at an angle you will launch it into a harrier with almost no airspeed and the controls won't do anything. Keep the nose flat until you get some speed and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Thanks,
    Jason Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole
    Hi,
    My trim settings were no different than normal flying. The trick is to get a nice smooth forward push with no side loading and no angle of attach. Just launch it straight out at full power. It helps to stand at the top of a hill the first time or so until you figure it out. If you throw it up at an angle you will launch it into a harrier with almost no airspeed and the controls won't do anything. Keep the nose flat until you get some speed and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Thanks,
    Jason Cole
    hey jason

heres a video "over hand launch" not as smooth as yours but they got it to fly. maybe i'll get one and try the "under hand launch" and put them to shame :lol:

Where's the video?

Quote Originally Posted by artman51164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cole
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Jason Cole
    hey jason

heres a video "over hand launch" not as smooth as yours but they got it to fly. maybe i'll get one and try the "under hand launch" and put them to shame :lol:
    ooops...sorry, heres the video

That worked. Just be careful not to get the nose up too high. That can happen pretty easily when pushing it from behind like that to launch. Focus on keeping it flat through the launch and you will be fine. Thanks for posting.

Jason Cole