At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: Jay Burkhart - Tech Support Guru

Jay Burkhart - Tech Support Guru

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to provide a little information about our Senior Tech Support Agent, Jay Burkhart. He's a long time modeler and avid airplane addict like the rest of us. Just last week he happened to win a few contests described below.

The trophies in the photo were won last week during the MECA (Model Engine Collectors Assc) Midwest Championships
    for SAM (Society of Antique Modelers) models.

The events were held at the AMA field up in Muncie Indiana at the national flying site.

Jay won 3 event in the SAM flying events.
    Speed 400 event for Speed 400 powered SAM legal design models Old Timers event
    LMR (limited motor run) for SAM legal gas design Old Timers event
    SOS (Spirit of SAM) Texaco event for SAM legal rubber designs.
    He took second place in the Texaco event for SAM legal gas design

We are proud of Jay's accomplishments and hope this helps you get to know the "tech" guy who answers your questions everyday.

Thanks,
    Jason Cole
    Hobby Lobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jay copy.jpg   trophyJay.jpg  

Re: Jay Burkhart - Tech Support Guru

Congratulations to my newest Guru in life, Jay Burkhart!

This thread was the only result for 400 speed motors, which i am interested in. I have a Terry that i bought some time ago. I want to put a brushless motor in it, because i hear that they are most efficient. I am hoping to get long soaring times, and will be happy to lose power in trade for long flight times.

I am a complete newbie, and really need guidance from a bonafide Guru to get the custom setup i am looking for, thanks for any help. HighFlyer
    [attachment=0:20ymsdce]Terry7.jpg[/attachment:20ymsdce]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terry7.jpg  

On the Terry,

That was from an era where inrunner brushed motors were used and it is meant for a inrunner
    type of motor mounting.
    The only thing that will fit into it with the way the motor mounts is an inrunner brushless motor
    that can mount the same way.
    Otherwise you would need to do extensive changes in the motor mounting system and that would
    mean extensive structural changes.
    The bad news for us is that we do not sell inrunner brushless motors anymore.
    The only ones we have anymore are too high an RPM and we do not have a matching gearbox.
    You will need to find another vendor like Neu or Hacker motors that makes an appropriate
    inrunner brushless motor with a gearbox for most efficiency, also you will need to change the
    ESC for a brushless motor to match the motor you put into it and while you are doing that
    switch to Lipo batteries which are much lighter and have a higher capacity.
    Sorry that I could not be of more help.
    Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Congrats to Mr. Burkhart,

Ok, thanks for the reply and bad news that i have to go to somewhere else to get a brushless to fit. What would you recommend to put in it using Hobby Lobby parts?

It needs a Speed 400 brushed motor.
    If you have the original brushed ESC then put in a GR3321.
    If you need one with an ESC here is a good match.
    SPEED 400 PLUS, 7.4 - 11.1V w/ControllerSPEED 400 motor with LiPo compatible controller built-inProduct# GR6505Price: $22.99
    Then a 6 x 3 folder like this one:
    6x3 CAM Folding Prop, 2.3mm, 30mm Spinner6x3 CAM Folding PropProduct# GPC06030Price: $17.59

This is a great motor and prop combo for that model.
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Burkart
    It needs a Speed 400 brushed motor.
    If you have the original brushed ESC then put in a GR3321.
    If you need one with an ESC here is a good match.
    SPEED 400 PLUS, 7.4 - 11.1V w/ControllerSPEED 400 motor with LiPo compatible controller built-inProduct# GR6505Price: $22.99
    Then a 6 x 3 folder like this one:
    6x3 CAM Folding Prop, 2.3mm, 30mm Spinner6x3 CAM Folding PropProduct# GPC06030Price: $17.59

This is a great motor and prop combo for that model.
    Thank you for this, i am such a newbie, i need a lot of direction. I will order soon.

Jay, i have a bad memory, and missed all this. I am still getting to ordering, but now have to really do it, since the rest of the little build is over. The brushed motors are all sold out, what to do.

I started another thread with much of these answered questions, but not sure what i should do to make this plane all finished.