At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: LIPO Batteries

LIPO Batteries

I am new to electric flight, i was wondering if you could store lipo batteries charged over night .
    eg Charge you batteries the night before you go flying.

Re: LIPO Batteries

Yes you can, I do it all the time.
    Matter of fact I do it sometimes a week ahead.
    I just don't leave Lipos full charged for months at a time.
    I hope this helps you.
    Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Yes I believe you can.. I know I do.. I have 3 birds and 5 batteries.. (one is waiting for parts.. come on Jay... :D ).. and I always keep my batteries charged.. tho I couldnt let them set for a week.. Each gets cycled a couple times a day.. I did number them and use them in order.
    Biggest thing to worry about is over heating them flying or charging.. I always wait 15 min or so after charging a battery before I fly with it and I wait at least 15 min after flying before I put it on the charger..
    Heat kills a battery.. but i've never yet had a problem flying with a battery that I had charged the night before. Cant say how much longer they would hold a charge since I'd go nuts without my 10 - 20 flights a day fix.. and all mine get used and charged a few times a day.. but I never leave the shop without at least a few batteries charged and waiting for me the next day... and i've always got normal flight time from a battery I charged the night before.

As mentioned above, heat kills batteries. So remember to allow your lipo and other batteries to cool down after a flight before recharging. Keep in mind that the center cell will cool the slowest!

I have a small digital voltmeter that scans through each cell reading the voltages. I've noticed that all my 3 cell lipos tend to loose capacity in the center cell first. I can only assume that this is caused by the heat being "sandwiched" into the center cell. The center cell certainly has the least cooling capacity.

Cliff