At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer Service

Customer Service

I'll be one of the first to post my experience with Hobby Lobby's Customer Service. Here is an e-mail that I sent to one of the Supervisors a few months ago:

Jay,
    Just wanted to let you know that Jay Burkart has been so helpful in assisting me with some product info off the hobby-lobby website. He had great follow-up and even went as far as locating another source for me. I wanted to make sure that his efforts did not go unnoticed. Heís very polite and courteous. Iíve had great success with Hobby-Lobby and your customer service is awesome. Thanks for everything. Kudos to Jay!

Ron Pisz

Re: Customer Service

Ron,

Thanks very much for the nice compliment.
    As the technical support person I try very hard and it is certainly a challenge at times
    being remote from Hobby Lobby but my 50 plus years in RC gives me some good background.
    It sure has expanded my knowledge of many facets of RC models.
    Regards,
    Jay Burkart
    SAM Grand Champion 2004.07,10,12

Hello All,

I also wanted to say thanks to Jay.

Jay took the time to resolve the issues i had with my 70mm F-16. Even personally tested out the motor for me!

Jay keep up the good work and thanks for all your help. The F-16 is flying great now.

Greg

Guys,

Thanks so much, Really nice of you!
    Glad I was able to help out and it is fun working with you all. Sure is nice to be appreciated.
    I hope that I can maintain that level of satisfaction for all of my customers and friends.

So many people do not think that email based support can be any good.
    But I think it can be better with having answers in writing to be able to look back at them and also
    when I put in Photos to help with explanations. Sure beats the phone!

Regards,
    Jay

Gee Jay.. You gonna send me pics on installing the 4 in 1 controller?? :D.. speaking of the controller.. when are you going to send it?? :?:

I give HL a thumbs up on support.. Here's my story.. I'll try to keep it to mini novel length... which shouldnt be hard since I've only delt with them for a month and 3 purchases...

Bought my first heli and was love at first flight.. about a week later I decided I wanted a second one so ordered a silver one and a few extra lipo batteries and a few parts I had come to learn I would need.. (both sets of blades and landing strutts etc..) They sent the parts right away but the silver heli was in back order.. which was fine... until...

One day.. in mid flight.. my sweet flying machine suddenly needed an exorcist... it started spinning out of control.. did everything but puke and make the bed levitate.. :D... I went thru withdrawels for a few days having nothing to fly but the simuilator and finally called HL to see how long the back order was on the silver birds... Was told more than 2 weeks minimum since they didnt even have it listed.. so later I called back to see if I could change it to the blue bird which was in stock.. They said no problem and swapped my order for the blue one and then mentioned my first bird was under warranty... said they would pass the info on to Jay...
    Guess Jay didnt get the message and a few days later when I got an email asking if I was happy I responded and told them I'd never heard from Jay or anyone else... Within an hour or so I'd gotten an email from jay and from the gal I'd talked to on the phone, both apologizing for something having gone wrong and Jay never getting the info of my case.
    Talked with Jay via email (I too think email is great.. love being able to go back and see what I wrote.. how bad my spelling was... and what was said in response.. ) and it was determined my 4 in 1 controller had taken a dump.. and one would be sent to me (tho that too turned out to be a back order item.. still waiting for it.. hint hint Jay :D)
    I got my second blue bird and it had a problem from its first flight.. and still has the problem which Im hoping Jay can help with.. but it flies... and my withdrawls have subsided.. I then saw their silver heli's in the 2.4 ghz were on sale which was what i'd really wanted so I called and ordered one of those...
    That, i've got to say... is one sweet flying machine.. If flies so quiet.. so smooth... it scares me to put a battery in it.. I only fly it a few times a day and only under perfect conditions because its never been crashed.. never had a hard landing... and is the most awesome heli I can imagine owning... and flying... I'm going to look for a ratings for HL and this bird and when I find it, its getting 5 stars...
    My second bird, which has a hiccup problem has survived a couple of inexperienced fliers.. and one major crash when I was flying it outside and a hawk decided it was a threat and took it out... Took a while to find the flybar but after finding that and replacing all 4 blades and a landing strutt (not bad for a 2 story fall after a hawk attack I think) its back in the air and flying again....
    HL gets my RC business.. and their customer service is good... I'll rate it great when Jay quits sitting on and hording all the 72 mhz 4 in 1 controllers.. :D

Bottom line.. HL is great.. their customer support is great.. they will be getting my business.. :D

Bbarcade,

I checked again on when the 4 in 1 are coming. Our manufacturer slipped it on us.
    First shipment around 8/5 and the next shipment is 8/26.
    Sorry that they are long in coming.
    Wish I could do better for you.
    Now getting on the flame protection suit. :oops:
    Jay Burkart

If memory serves me correctly, I have done business with Hobby Lobby for thirty years. I have yet to have a bad experience with technical support. Being new to electrics, I had a question about a purchase I made and sent an email detailing my question. Within twenty-four hours, I had an answer. However, technical support was not done. Within forty-eight hours, I received a detailed email with photos showing the different ways I can use the product ordered.

I wish to thank Jay Burkhart for the fast and detailed information provided to solve my problem. He went much further than I had expected to ensure I had a clear picture of what I could and could not do with the balancer I ordered. Excellent customer service/technical support.

Through the years, I have always received this kind of support. Although I was impatient about a backordered item a few years ago, I called and cancelled (found item elsewhere). The representative was courteous and apologized for not being able to conclude the sale in a timely manner. Others may not have received the exact service I have over the years, but the service is what keeps me coming back to Hobby Lobby. So far, it has never been a matter of that's your problem. It has always been what can we do.

Thanks Jay, and thank you Hobby Lobby.

Emails with hobby Lobby:

Jay:

Wow! I did not expect all of this as a response to my question. Thank you very much. :P Other hobby merchants can learn a lot about customer service from you. It is sorely needed in today's phone tree and outsourced technical support environment. :evil:

I wish I had known beforehand that I did not need the PCM Guard. :oops: At the time I ordered it, I believed the item was required. Nonetheless, I now have the specific answer I needed about the Smart Balancer. I only wish the manufacturers would be more considerate of the modelers' dollar. I just had to order a balancer for the Electrifly LiPo systems. :cry: That was $50.00 plus S&H I could have spent on two LiPos for the Lama V4 I bought from Hobby Lobby last week. :mrgreen: But, at least it can work with other LiPo packs.

Again, thank you for the swift, detailed reply. The information is much appreciated. Now to get busy on how I will pay for the large F-4 Hobby Lobby sells. :mrgreen: Great job. I has been a pleasure dealing with Hobby Lobby over the last 30 years.

O. H.

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:44 PM
    Subject: Smart Balancer & Guard 505 Compatibility

I have attached several pictures of the Smart Balancer hooked up properly. I show it hooked to various lipos and various chargers. That balancer can only be used with PolyQuest/Enerland Lipo cells and you must use the correct adapter cable that comes with it. you need to choose the cable that matches the number of cells in the lipo pack that you are trying to charge. For a 2S pack (2cell) you use the adapter marked BAT-2 and for a 3S (3cell) use the BAT-3 adapter.

You do not need to use the PCM Guard device at all. That is not needed as the ETC505 does it all. On hookup the CHG input lead goes to the Charger and the charger should not be in "BALANCE MODE" if it has one. The Lipoly battery ouput goes to the lipo using the matching adapter cable for the number of cells in the lipo as discussed above. You might see some balancing action on the 1cell through Xcell lights depending on how many cell are in the pack. The Err/Check light should not come on unless there is some problem with the cell count match or a problem in the battery itself.

I am fairly certain that the ASTRO y adapter will not work as it's connector format is different. You would have to find an adapter that would have an output connection for a 5S Polyquest male connection and a input side to accept the various "S" counts for Thunder Power lipos. One place that might have that is: http://www.rclipos.com/Accessories.htm They seem to have adapters for everything. I use them for myself and we have been happy with them.

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks,

Jay Burkart
    Hobby-Lobby
    http://www.hobby-lobby.com/support

Your comment:

I purchased a Smart Balancer & Guard 505 last month along with an Enerland PQ3200XQ 11.1v 3s1p 3200 mAh 30C battery, a liposack and a PQ PCM Guard. I have tried to use the balancer on an Electrify Power Series 3s 640 mAh 20C, but I keep getting an err/check, green blinking light no matter which adapter I use. When I use the Bat-3 adapter with the PQ pack, I get a solid green, err/check light.

Questions: 1) Does the balancer work with any other lipo battery packs other than those sold/manufactured for Hobby Lobby distribution? I see where it will not work with Thunder Power batteries because there is no adapter for this brand. However, can the Thunder Power adapter for the Astro y be used in this instance? 2) does the solid green, err/check light mean the battery is fully charged? Likewise, does the flashing green, err/check light mean the battery needs to be charged if the adapter is the correct one.

I am new to electrics and do not understand all the ins-and-outs of batteries and balancers and different adapters/connectors. I hate bothering you with these basic questions, but I have no desire to fry any of my expensive components. Additionally, the little 1/8 page "manual" describes more about what not to do to lipos, rather than how to
    successfully use the balancer.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

O. H.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Burkart
    Bbarcade,

I checked again on when the 4 in 1 are coming. Our manufacturer slipped it on us.
    First shipment around 8/5 and the next shipment is 8/26.
    Sorry that they are long in coming.
    Wish I could do better for you.
    Now getting on the flame protection suit. :oops:
    Jay Burkart
    Ok.. get it on..because its now 8-14.. maybe I missed the first shipment?? I've been on backorder for over 3 weeks...??? Two birds bought from you are unflyable.. waiting on parts.. and we're not even actually sure they are the parts that are needed... The only reason Im not totally upset is my newest 2.4 ghz unit is flying fine.. which leads me to an earlier question I asked.. could the iowa humidity be a problem?? 2 new 72 hmz units.. one works fine for 2 weeks and then wiggs out.. one comes with a hicup problem from its virgin flight and only gets worse... a 2.4 ghz unit is flying fine (tho flying way less.. granted)... Could humidity be a factor?? Do I need to limit myself to 2.4 ghz?
    Almost 600 $ spent with you this past month.. and 66% of my purchases are parked and waiting on back ordered parts..
    parts backordered under warranty.... I buy 3 birds.. I can fly one.. while I wait for parts for how long for the other 2 that died the day and within 2 weeks of getting them???

Would you please give me the case number under which we were working.
    Or send me a reply on one of the case emails.

The problem with "handles" on these forums is that I do not know the your real customer name
    to be able to look up the case and history.
    I will look up the case and I agree this is getting rediculous waiting time..
    NO need for an asbestos suit,
    It is our problem.
    Jay Burkart

Hi Jay,

Subject: RE: Case 00033701 [ ref:00D79L2K.50079Ddoq:ref ]

The order for the warranty parts are:
    July 15, 2009
    Subject: Hobby-Lobby Order Confirmation 0002016430
    July 27, 2009
    Subject: Hobby-Lobby Order Confirmation 0002018305

I guess both birds are under the same case #?

Thanks
    Bill Bartling