At (or Near) Wholesale Prices: Happy Product - Sad Box >
Give Us A Call
615-373-1444

10am - 4pm CST

Thread: ASW-28 Scale R/C Sailplane

ASW-28 Scale R/C Sailplane

ASW-28 Scale R/C Sailplane

Nice scale detail - great slope and thermal performance
    99-5/8" wingspan, 46" long, 442 sq. in. wing area, 50 oz. flying weight, HQ3015 airfoil. Beautifully pre-finished white fiberglass fuselage, fully sheeted and covered wings over balsa ribs with molded fiberglass winglets. Scale molded canopy requires cutting and fitting. Black plastic instrument panel hides servos and electronics for scale appearance. Wings and winglets are removable for easy transport. Sailplane is right at home on the slope. Floats nicely on light lift or flies with speed and agility in higher winds. Sailplane uses two servos for the ailerons; these can be mixed so that both rise up as airbrakes to aid in landing control. The T-tail elevator is controlled by a bellcrank in the tail for smooth, slop-free control. Rudder is pull-pull. Assembly will take 6-8 hours; a clear exploded view drawing of all assemblies is included. To aerotow, add a nose tow release (MAS002) and an additional servo. For 3-4 channels: Ailerons (2 servos), Elevator, Rudder, and optional Tow release.

Re: ASW-28 Scale R/C Sailplane

I bought one of these ASW-28 sailplanes during the last Day-After Thanksgiving Day Sale, but I haven't built it yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to build it as a pure glider or go ahead and power it with a nice big brushless motor.

I've read that it ends up kinda heavy and isn't a great thermal bird. I don't have anybody to tow me up, so I'd be stuck with my big high-start. I don't have a nice slope around to fly on either.

Anybody else have one of these flying?

Andy

Hey Andy,
    I've flown the one we used for our video. I think it's a little more forgiving than the DG-1000 because is has more wing area. It will thermal OK, but is really at home on a slope. I've heard of a place called Keel mountain in Alabama that might be worth looking into for slope soaring.

Thanks,
    Jason Cole
    Hobby Lobby

very scale sailplane
    I have always been a sailplane buff. I enjoy the challenge of serching for lift to remain aloft rather than just lifting the throttle stick. I have had many gliders over the years but my true love now is discus launch gliders. However, when I saw this sailplane on the Hobby Lobby site, I bought it at an introductory price. The look of a scale ASW turns me on probably because I flew a full scale ASW at Dillengers field in Maui, Hawaii. This field is one of the few on the North side of the island which the Japanese overlooked. It is settled on the edge of a mountain which gave unbelieveable slope performance. OK, whatever, lets get back to the model. This was my very first scale sailplane. I have always wanted one and have always found myself looking on different sites and gasping when looking at their prices. For about one third of the price this ASW was pretty enticing.
    Opening the box was exciting. The model was wrapped with care and each piece was perfect. The only slight flaw was wrinkled covering on the wings which was easily remedied with a covering iron. The fiberglass fuse was sleek and smooth as was the fin. The wings and stab were straight and covered nicely. This ship is apparently from a foreign country as the instructions were in the form of one big diagram. Although confusing at times, what kind of instructions do you need to attach two wings and a stab? So all went well, and as always, I added a few modifications. The servos went in the wing easily and easch wing joined to the fuse pretty well. The carbon wing tube slid into each wing and into the fuse easily and all alignment pins lined up fine. The wings are held together by a hook in each wing which are connected by a rubber band. The stab is mounted on top of the fin and screwed in place. The elevator servo is mounted in the fin which is a great set up, but adds an enourmous amount of tail weight since it is at almost the furthest aft end of the balance point. The servo wire extention adds even more. This setup made the plane very tail heavy. You have to consider a full scale has one or two pilots sitting in a stubby nose, but on the model, a battery, receiver and one servo doesnt really weigh much and even when placed as far forward as possible, will not balance the plane. Therefore, a good amount of nose weight needed to be added.
    After finishing, I took about a week to just stare at the model because IT IS BEAUTIFUL. After the week is over something came over me. How on earth am I going to get this in the air? The nearest slope to me is about 600 miles away and it is far to large to use my high start. I could maybe talk my father into hooking a tow hook to one of his quarter scales, yeah right.... I guess I will need a winch. I know that there is a silent club that has a winch about 30 minutes away, I guess I'll have to join that club. In the meantime, I took the plane out for a test launch. I thought I would run as fast as I can and give it a small toss down a local hill. Big mistake, the plane dropped to the ground like lead. (Remember folks, this is my first scale sailplane). I did have enough elevator to slide it to the ground with no damage.
    So, long story short I brought it to the silent club and used their winch. It sucked it into the sky like nothing and as I released, I was pleasantly pleased. This plane floats around nice. It does not float and pick up thermals like the other sailplanes I have flown,(which weigh one sixth of it's weight) but I was able to find some lift. Landing it took me by surprise. Same thing, basically. You have to make a high approach and dive it to the ground and flair it off. You can't circle 15 feet in the air three times in front of you like a light 2 meter ship. I became more proficient each time I flew it as far as finding more lift and becoming better at approaches and landings. I'm pretty comfortable with it now, but I don't really fly it unless it is a hot, cumulus cloud filled day. The one thing that I love to do is when the plane is just released, turn it around and dive it full speed toward the field and level it off to make a low pass. The sound is incredible. At the end of the field give it full up and drive it back into the sky. Exhilarating!
    So there you have it. Other than its weight and all that weight being towards the tail, its a pretty remarkable ship. I'm sure it performs way better on a slope, but when your stuck on the east coast you don't have an option. For the price though, I seriously do not think that you could find a sailplane that looks and flys this scale anywhere.
    I give this product 4 stars. Review by demarco, todd

Fly Fly Models ASW-28
    The description of this plane on Hobby Lobby's web site is anything but accurate. The ballast required to balance this sailplane on the CG brings the overall weight of the plane in the 75-80oz range. (almost double the advertised weight). It is a great slope soarer but not so good for thermal flying. There is no bell crank in the tail as described. The servo mounts right in the tail which adds even more weight. The advertised build time of 6-8 hours is also far-fetched. I spent close to 25 hours to get mine ready for flight. On the good side, it is a beautiful model to look at and is quite sturdy. It took some rough landings that I thought would have surely broken or cracked the fuselage.
    I give this product 3 stars. Review by Eltringham, David